6 Degrees of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
Anyone here "connected" to U2, as in the game "Kevin Bacon"? For example, take myself. I can do it a few different ways.

1. I was in a band who recorded an album with Mitch Easter who recorded REM, members of which performed as Automatic Baby with members of U2.

2. I was in a band who mixed an album with Shelly Yakus who mixed various U2 tracks in the 80's.

Anyone???

My Uncle drove them for The Joshua Tree Tour and LoveTown, and my other Uncle did the lights for ZOO T.V

I met Bono.

Does that count?

No? Does it help that he kissed my cheek and therefore scattered his sparkling, holy DNA on my skin?

No?

Then I got nothin'.

My former band recorded at a studio where Mother Love Bone recorded.
Pearl Jam has some of the same members as Mother Love Bone.
U2+Pearl Jam=UJam.

My friend does dance with a girl who dated Ali's nephew.

and also my friend's dad shook the popes hand ... and so has Bono :wink:

Oooh! I can actually do this. :)

-- I know Steve Kilbey, the lead singer of The Church (I'm his art agent).

-- The Church toured with Peter Murphy and also Tom Verlaine in 1988.

-- Peter Murphy was photographed for his 1992 album Holy Smoke by Anton Corbijn, who, of course, has also photographed U2 many, many times.

-- Tom Verlaine has worked with Patti Smith throughout the years (and apparently dated her early on). Patti Smith opened for U2 on some dates on the Vertigo Tour.

-- Jay Dee Daugherty, long-time (and current) drummer for the Patti Smith Group, was the drummer for The Church from 1990 to 1993 (they did a nifty "Dancing Barefoot" cover at their gigs during the JD years).

-- I'm pretty sure JD was was drumming when Smith opened for U2 on the Vertigo Tour.

And a nifty little tidbit (for me anyway) -- last year I had a brief flurry of email exchanges with JD when he contacted me to see if I had contact info for Steve Kilbey because he (JD) was at the airport in Stockholm with a few hours between flights and thought he'd call Karin, Steve's ex (and mother of Steve's older twin daughters). It was only a couple of very short emails each, but it was kind of a thrill. :)

I have a friend that lives down the street from the Hewsons in Dublin and has funny stories about seeing them around town...

My aunt dated some guy for a while last year who played in a band who in the 80s were signed to the Mother label - their debut EP was produced by Bono. I've listened to a couple of tracks, they were shit! :D

Bono met with Pope John Paul II at least one time

John Paul came in apostolic visit in Imola (Italy) in 1986. He needed to dress for the Holy Mass inside Imola formula one racetrack and he used a camper owned by a family and they had the pleasure to know him.

I know two sons and one daughter from this family.

:applaud:

P.S. good for you Indra: Kilbey of The Church! What a band!

I have helped organize three amnesty international festivals for my school with Jack Healy, who helped organize the "Conspiracy of Hope Tour" that U2 performed in back in 1986.

My aunt dated some guy for a while last year who played in a band who in the 80s were signed to the Mother label - their debut EP was produced by Bono. I've listened to a couple of tracks, they were shit! :D

what band was it?

what band was it?

After digging a little bit, I discovered the band again cos I'd forgotten what they were called - Cactus World News. My aunt dated the frontman (apparentely a bit of a dead ringer for Elvis Costello!). It was called 'The Bridge', released in 1985 and was produced by Bono and Jon Kelly.

My friend's mum worked in the Wanganui library with Greg Carrol's mum. Greg of course was the roadie for U2 who died in a motorbike accident.

Bono met with Pope John Paul II at least one time

John Paul came in apostolic visit in Imola (Italy) in 1986. He needed to dress for the Holy Mass inside Imola formula one racetrack and he used a camper owned by a family and they had the pleasure to know him.

I know two sons and one daughter from this family.

:applaud:

P.S. good for you Indra: Kilbey of The Church! What a band!

I think that this is the best story in this thread so far - and it's really not about Bono. :wink:

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :love:

After digging a little bit, I discovered the band again cos I'd forgotten what they were called - Cactus World News. My aunt dated the frontman (apparentely a bit of a dead ringer for Elvis Costello!). It was called 'The Bridge', released in 1985 and was produced by Bono and Jon Kelly.

Cactus World News!!!! I love CWN!!!! I won't hear a bad word about CWN. Their first album was great!!! and I've got that Mother release of the Bridge, which, surprise surprise, is better than the version on the album.

I know "Bono does good production shock"! :ohmy:

However, I think Indra wins so far......

Back
Top Bottom