5 decades in a row?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac_Fly

War Child
So U2 joins an elite company of artists that have had a #1 album in each of 4 decades?

Can they make it to 5 decades?

Maybe.

With the next decade just around the corner and the new strategy of grouping album sales with ticket sales, I'd say they have a strong chance.

That is, if they don't tour for 5 years after 2018 and release something that will generate a buzz.

I don't know that a AB30 tour in 2021 will suffice.

I'd say the next album will probably come in 2020-2021. If they bundle it with ticket sales again, I see no reason why things should be much different then than they are now. It's definitely doable. I think the band intend to press on for awhile, so health concerns would be the only possible roadblock.

I don't know that a AB30 tour in 2021 will suffice.

I think that what we learned from JT17 is that nostalgia sells big time. While AB doesn't have the same mythical lore surrounding it like JT does, an AB / ZooTV 2.0 tour is probably their best bet for their next mega stadium tour. They'll probably do it, the potential earnings would be too much to pass up.

Last edited:
I would say not charging the prices they are charging for e&i would be a start to having more people attend shows, thus more albums...

I think if Bono quit dying his hair and let it go gray that would help them get to number 1 in the next decade. Honestly the hair dye just rubs people the wrong way.

I think that what we learned from JT17 is that nostalgia sells big time. While AB doesn't have the same mythical lore surrounding it like JT does, an AB / ZooTV 2.0 tour is probably their best bet for their next mega stadium tour. They'll probably do it, the potential earnings would be too much to pass up.

I went to two TJT shows in 2017. One with a group of hardcore U2 fans and one with some casuals from work. The casuals (mostly colleagues in their 40s) were all about "I went to a Joshua Tree show in 1987 and loved it!". When I asked about the ZooTV tour and follow up albums/tours...it was 'meh'...

I think there are a whole lot of folks out there who think of TJT as awsome nostalgia U2 and don't neccesarily have the warm and fuzzies about ZooTV. I also don't think the prospect of 60+ year olds recreating a tour that was super high energy is that enticing...I would like them to leave AB alone for touring...maybe a nice reissue or something, but not a live nostalgia tour

I think if Bono quit dying his hair and let it go gray that would help them get to number 1 in the next decade. Honestly the hair dye just rubs people the wrong way.

seriously. Crop short, and let it go salt and pepper. I was sort of entranced by the enormous poof he now has when shot from the side. Yikes. That brittle, dark-orangey haystack has got to go.

seriously. Crop short, and let it go salt and pepper. I was sort of entranced by the enormous poof he now has when shot from the side. Yikes. That brittle, dark-orangey haystack has got to go.

It would probably be more salt than pepper, but you are right. You would think that when he hangs out with Clooney he would realize that salt and pepper can look very distinguished when done right. Hell for that matter all he has to do is look over at his bass player and see that silver hair can look good on a dude.

He needs to grow his hair out more. It's a proven fact that U2 sales and Bono's hair length closely coincide.

Back
Top Bottom