30 years ago in Memphis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chico Harris

Babyface
30 years ago this week was the first time I can remember going to see the opener over the headliner: U2 opened for the J. Geils Band in Auditorium North Hall in Memphis.
U2 were thunderous and melodically great. J. Geils, while I did like hearing "Must Have Got Lost," were in their Centerfold period.
I'm glad I got semi-early U2 in a small setting, but hate I missed what happened later:
All of the band told a Memphis cabbie to take them to a "cowboy" bar. The guy took them north to hardscrabble Frayser, to the legendary blue collar roughhouse called Miller's Cave. A place a lot of people would call a redneck bar.
It was Adam Clayton's 22nd birthday, and the band arrived after midnight. The Miller Brothers were playing and by all accounts, U2 had a great time there, probably most likely when they got on stage and drunkenly performed "Southern Man" and "Out Of Control."
U2
"Southern Man" live in Belfast, 1987:
U2 - Southern Man (live 1987) - YouTube
"Out Of Control" (live in 1982)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOaC-KNeXXs

When I watch some of these old vids, like the "Southern Man" version above, with Bono shouting "soul", I realize that even the current Bono really is not that much different from his 26/27 year old self. It's just that back then, it was "fresh". :lol:

I had no idea that U2 had ever opened for J Geils, maybe I heard that once and forgot. You just can't escape that darn Peter Wolf.

I love Memphis, went there for the first time ever a few years ago. Got to see Sun Studios and all the U2 stuff there.

Back
Top Bottom