2nd Favorite Band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joy Division
The Verve
Radiohead
Springsteen
Joy Division
Talking Heads
My Bloody Valentine
Pearl Jam
LCD Soundsystem

U2 actually might be my third favorite band, oddly enough. I'll always have soft spots for Foo Fighters and Duran Duran, with U2 and maybe The Killers pulling back the rear. Like em' all though!

I don't really do "bands" as such, but in terms of recording artists in general, my favorites list would be something like this (in no order):

The Beatles
Prince (1979 to 1996)
The Stone Roses
Stevie Wonder (1968-ish to 1982)
Bob Dylan (1961 to 1983)
Joni Mitchell (to 1994 or so)
U2 (1980 to 1993)
The Byrds (1965 to 1968)
The Police + Sting (to 1993)
The Wailers / Bob Marley & The Wailers
John Coltrane (late 1950s to 1964)
The Doors (to 1971)
Joan Baez
Simon & Garfunkel / Paul Simon (to 1990)
Sinéad O'Connor (she's a complete nutter, but all her recordings are great... except maybe the reggae one)
Louis Armstrong
Billie Holiday (to 1948 or 1949)
Counting Crows (studio, not live! to maybe 2004)
Robert Johnson (yes, based on only two recording sessions)
Indigo Girls

I also like very much like early Elvis, Gordon Lightfoot, George Harrison, John Lennon, Björk, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Johnny Cash, The La's, Yazoo, The Grapes of Wrath, and R.E.M.

Artists whose recordings I've started to really enjoy recently include Clannad. There's a lot of stuff there.

Probably my favorite contemporary singer is Michael Kiwanuka... especially if he ever comes out with another album.

The one I've listened to the most in recent months is Prince. Once you get into the B-sides, bootlegs, and outtakes, it's an endless treasure trove... that is, if Prince doesn't sue you and confiscate your computer.

I'm not sure where U2's peak period of recordings would "rank" in all this. I am sure it's not important.

REM
and of course the Juno award winning RUSH.

18pq1vofbfyx0jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Springsteen, Mumford & Sons, Simple Minds, Kensington (Dutch band), The Killers, Kings Of Leon.

U2 have been my solid #1 for a good 13 years now.

The catalogue is just so fascinatingly diverse and wholesome, and then you've got the personality of the band that has manifested itself in starkly different ways over the decades.

I may go through reasonably long periods where I don't listen to much U2, but I reliably keep returning to them.

#2 has fluctuated a bit, but I could probably settle on The Smiths/Morrissey, with The National, Travis or Beatles getting a look in from time to time as well.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Tom Petty was my favorite before U2. He's the first time I actually took any particular interest in an artist when I was about 13. He's the only other artist where I know his entire catalog front to back. He's now my 2nd favorite. As much as his music has meant to me, the connection with u2 was just stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

2nd - Beatles

3rd - Queen

Top five rounded by...Pearl Jam and INXS. Also a very honourable mention to Bruce.

Last edited:
U2 is 1a
Radiohead is 1b

Was never a contest in the 80's and 90's. Guess when U2 started focusing on song structure, I found myself looking for more adventurous tunes.

Also like Coldplay (older stuff), RHCP....and random 80's tunes :)

Back
Top Bottom