23 years ago today...Conspiracy of Hope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rastacruz

Acrobat
Conspiracy Of Hope
The Concerts For Amnesty International
1986-06-04
Cow Palace
Daly City, CA

The Neville Brothers:
Hey Pockey Way
Wake Up

Joan Baez:
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Shout
True Love
Imagine > Let It Be

Lou Reed:
I Love You, Suzanne
New Sensations
Tell It To Your Heart
No Money Down
Walk On The Wild Side
Video Violence

Jackson Browne:
For Everyman
Lives In The Balance
I Am A Patriot

Peter Gabriel:
Red Rain
Sledgehammer
San Jacinto
Shock The Monkey
Family Snapshot
Biko

Bryan Adams:
Run To You
It's Only Love
The Best Was Yet To Come
Straight From The Heart
Summer Of '69
Somebody

Sting:
Fortress Around Your Heart
If You Love Somebody Set Them Free
Bring On The Night > When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around
Russians
Message In A Bottle

U2:
C'mon Everybody
Pride
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Maggie's Farm
Help!
Bad
Sun City

Finale:
I Shall Be Released

The Neville Brothers back Joan Baez
Lou Reed guest vocals on Sun City
Entire Ensamble for the Finale

So I get a ticket as a high school graduation gift. Had seen U2 three times on the Unforgettable Fire tour and was more than ready for another U2 performance!

I brought in some cookies to the show. When I was being checked by security, a woman asked me for a cookie. I shared with her and the other security guards.

My seat was kind of at the back of the venue and I enjoyed the first acts but knew I was going to have to try to get closer to the stage for The Police (we thought we were getting a Police set until Sting and his Blue Turtle Band hit the stage) and U2.

After Peter Gabriel's incredible set (I think it might have been the first ever live performance of Red Rain and Sledgehammer since the So album had been released only a couple of week prior) I made my way to some friend's seats closer to the stage and kind of squeezed in with them.

After the Bryan Adams set they started setting up the stage and I could tell it was not going to be the Police. My disappointment quickly faded because Sting and his band gave us a scorching set! Amazing music that was going to be hard to top.

While they were setting up for U2, I noticed the security guard who I gave cookies was right at the side of the stage (Edge's side). So I mad emy way down to her and made up a fib that my knees were sore from sitting it tight quarters and asked her if I could stand where she was. She told me to go back to my seat and stand in the aisle. I reminded her that I shared cookies with her and her friends and she relented and let me stand right off the side of the stage!

U2 hits the stage and I could tell right away that times were changing! Bono had grown the mullet out and Edge was growing a ponytail. Larry and Adam looked the same to me.

They told the media that they would open with "C'mon Everybody" but nobody believed it. Sure enough, they open with the Eddie Cochran classic rocker!

Pride and New Year's Day followed and the whole building was hopping! If Sting's set burned the house down, U2 was bringing it back up like a Phoenix!

Then we get a slow version of Sunday Bloody Sunday which was very cool! This was a band about to hit its zenith and unafraid to try new things!

A couple of cool covers with Maggie's Farm and Help!. Maggie's Farm brought Larry out to the front of the stage with a single drum (common place these days) and during a jam in the you might recognize some licks that would become Bullet The Blue Sky.

U2 tries to leave the stage like they were out of time but Bill Graham (the late, great Bill Graham!) signaled them to continue playing. I was thinking to myself that they could leave without playing Bad!

A beautiful version of Bad gave way to Sun City with some vocal help from Lou Reed! Amazing stuff!

All the performers joined U2 on the stage for the Bob Dylan finale of I Shall Be Released.

23 years later and this still ranks as one of the greatest concert experiences of my life. I really did believe that rock and roll could make a difference back then (I'm a little more cynical now in my 40s! lol).

We didn't know where this would lead U2, but we found out less than a year later when The Joshua Tree was released and U2 became the biggest band on the planet.

A Conspiracy of Hope was kind of the end of innocence for U2. It was the bridge from Unforgettable Fire to Joshua Tree. No movie screens or light shows were necessary, just U2 and its fans made a U2 show so special.

I'm very lucky that I caught the opener of this important tour. The Police would reform and play sets later in the tour and the Giants Stadium closing show was broadcast on radio and TV.

After the Cow Palace, the tour moved on to Los Angeles...

very cool story. i wish i wasn't thinking about starting kindergarten around that time, otherwise i would have tried to go too.

I'd love to see that! Better yet, I'd love for that to be released on DVD! I'm guessing that's from the Giants Stadium finale, but it might be footage from the whole CoH tour.

Great story, especially bribing a bouncer with a biscuit :)

That's an 11 hour film they've found! Someone fetch the scissors ...

Wow, that showing of the entire 11 hour concert that was shown on MTV years ago is cool. What's better is that you can buy a ticket for either the first half or second half of the showing. U2 apparently went on at 9:30pm according to the site.

I wish I could go to LA to see it.. Argh.

I used to have the U2 and Police set on VHS that I recorded from MTV. U2 headlined the first few shows of the tour but when the Police reformed for the last few, U2 played and then the Police. After the Police set, Sting handed his bass to Adam and Andy Summers handed his guitar to Edge for the "I Shall Be Released" finale.

They should release this as a 2 DVD set and have the proceeds go to Amnesty International. I'd be the first in line to buy it!

Looks like New York City is getting a showing at the Lincoln Center on June 28.

Thanks rastacruz for sharing your remembrances of the COH tour. :applaud:

I saw the tour when they came through Chicago - and it is as fresh in my memory today as if it happened yesterday.

Truly one of the most important chapters in U2 history - the Conspiracy of Hope Tour. :hug:

Chicago got to see the Police! I'm jealous! It took me until 2007 to finally see The Police! :doh:

I had to throw in my Live Aid DVDs for a little nostalgia this morning! :up:

Amazing story, and well-told -- thanks Rastacruz!!

Do you remember Joan Baez's set? At that point, she didn't even have a record contract in the USA, and I think she hadn't performed in the US for years...

I'd appreciate the Joan Baez set a lot more now than I did then.

I recall the Beatles covers the most. I also kind of chuckled on the inside with the cover of "Shout". An ex-girlfriend really liked Tears For Fears and I wasn't a big fan. :)

Joan performed at Live Aid the previous year so maybe she was just doing benefits at that time.

She has a beautiful voice and she is never afraid of speaking her mind! I have a lot of admiration for Joan Baez!

I was at that show at the Cow Palace! Good times!!

My friends and I arrived late because we had to attend high school graduation practice or we weren't going to be allowed to walk with our class!!

We arrived late and could not find a spot to park in Cow Palace parking lot. We ended up double parking in aisle, blocking most of an exit. We took some shit for it later when we returned and people were trying to get out of the lot.

We had pretty good seats in the back of the venue off the floor. I had a friend who worked in a record store who pulled tickets from ticketmaster minutes after they went on sale. We arrived in time to catch Peter Gabriel, Bryan Adams, Sting and U2.

Before U2's set, we walked down to the floor to see if we could get to the stage. The ushers were watching tickets pretty tightly. A couple of girls we didn't know invited us to come sit with them and quickly squeezed into their row on the floor. We chatted for a bit and as the lights went down, we quickly made our way out of their row and up toward the stage. We managed to make it to the first or second row and stood on the seats (yes...seats on the floor) and had an unimpeded first row view of U2. I remember thinking 'was this U2?' because they opened with C'mon Everybody and Bono looked unshaven, and at the time, was growing out his hair. He looked vastly different from the mullett Bono of the UF era show I saw (at the Cow Palace) in 1985.

I also remember being bummed that The Police didn't show up. Rumors were swirling that they could perform together and it didn't happen until the last couple shows of the CoH Tour.

glad to see some more stories from CoH!

OOTS--I was at those Unforgettable Fire shows at the Cow Palace as well! Good times!

MsPurrl--We were there so you were there!

Back
Top Bottom