2000s The "Elegant" U2 Era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oregoropa

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
- 1980s the Formative Era

- 1990s the Experimental Era

- 2000s - now the Elegant Era

Sure there are plenty of misfires and lack of cohesion on albums.

The Elegant Songs don't have the Fire of War, the Innovation of AB, Zooropa, Pop. We have to acknowledge the high points of this era as the band has found itself in a different time and place in the studio and life

- Beautiful Day
- Electrical Storm
- City of Blinding Lights
- Magnificent
- Moment of Surrender
- Ordinary Love ( studio )
- Every Breaking Wave
- The Troubles

Hopefully SOE can put it all together as a Museum of Fine Art.

We can't go back to the U2 of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well if we're sticking to the decade theme it would be:

Formative
Experimental
Elegant
Songs of

Which if you notice spells FEES :hmm:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well if we're sticking to the decade theme it would be:

Formative
Experimental
Elegant
Songs of

Which if you notice spells FEES :hmm:

Formative (80s)
Experimental (90s)
Commercial (early 00s)
Eclectic (late 00s)
Songs Of (10s)

FECES

True. I meant we can't expect them to fully revisit the past

If they want to they could easily do another Joshua Tree tour, another Zoo TV tour, another Popmart tour, playing the same kind of shows with the same songs as they did back then. Iron Maiden does that regularly.

Sure, its a kind of commercial sell out, and yet a case can be made that its a chance for old and new fans to re-experience something great from the past again. And in a way I think its good for U2. If they're doing 5 years about recording a new album, its good to take a break for a while and do something else instead for a while.

I think I'd rather see elements of past your incorporated into fresh shows, like the ZooTV encore from the Vertigo Tour.

That kinda works too, but sometimes its just cool to go full on nostalgic. It's the whole basis for all those 'Back to the*insert your favorite decade*' events. Plus I would rather have a band trot out a classic album/tour again and give new fans a chance to experience it, and old fans to re-experience it, then have a band go Rolling Stones and release a shitty new album that's just an excuse to do a Greatest Hits tour and grab some easy cash. Plus I think the whole information overload themes of Zoo TV and Popmart are just as relevant today as they were back then. Who knows what U2's stage designers could do with those themes with today's technology? Roger Water's The Wall shows were also different from the Pink Floyd ones in the early 80's.

Back
Top Bottom