"2 crap albums in a row and we're out"-Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a dumb quote that doesn't deserve to keep getting resurrected everytime a fan decides they don't like the new album.

Because honestly, who's supposed to be the judge of that? The band? Like they're going to come out and say "Well shit, this album sucks. The last one sucked, too. Guess we're done."

Or are they supposed to take an official poll amongst critics and fans? Like they're going to sit down one day and say "Well, we've been voted out of rock and roll by 63% of the public. I guess we're done, boys."

Seriously, let the quote die. If you think they've put out two crap albums in a row, then maybe it's time for you to "retire" from being a fan.

(And by "retire," I mean still enjoy their older stuff, maybe hold out hope that they'll put out something you like in the future, maybe be a little sad because you don't like them anymore, maybe you're even a little bitter, but you don't go on the internet and whine every five minutes about how U2 sucks now.)

U2girl, that's not directed at you specifically - I'm just sick of the quote being resurrected so often.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head, here.

The question can be answered thus: is HTDAAB crap? Yes, deeply crap. Is NLOTH crap? No, it's their best since AB. So Bono is safe!

I'd say they've released more than two crap albums in my opinion (which decidedly does not include NLOTH). But I'm with cori. The quote is ridiculous in the first place, and it mildly bugged me that even Bono resurrected it during an interview in February. I'd say that ultimately, the decision of what's "crap" is up to the band, and if they truly think an album's crap, they're not going to release it (revisionist history a couple of albums down the track doesn't really count since they've already kept going and it's a bit too late to say "oh, we're out ... seven years ago").

We all know Bono talks out of his ass some of the time, why do we even take his word for everything? :wink:

That's the thing, all their albums have lots of great songs on them...There is no crap album, but if anyone think so, I'd say you I still love what may look like a crap album in your opinion.

The quote is ridiculous in the first place, and it mildly bugged me that even Bono resurrected it during an interview in February.

Surely he gets enough of that from the critics, not to mention the fan sites.:wink:

That's the thing, all their albums have lots of great songs on them...There is no crap album, but if anyone think so, I'd say you I still love what may look like a crap album in your opinion.

word :up:

That's the thing, all their albums have lots of great songs on them...

Not to everyone.

I can't name a single great song on ATYCLB (unless we're counting editions with TGBHF). A couple of good songs, yeah. But nothing great.

Not to everyone.

I can't name a single great song on ATYCLB (unless we're counting editions with TGBHF). A couple of good songs, yeah. But nothing great.

Ummmm. YouTube - U2 Beautiful Day - Live @ Slane Castle

I realize this is a matter of opinion but watching hundreds of thousands of people jumping up and down to this song and practically pulling their hair out in excitement kinda makes me think this mighta been a great song...

after the dust settled, HTDAAB has become one of my least favorite u2 records...and i still go back to it and enjoy it.

i don't think they've made one crap album...although October comes close :reject:

the new album is amazing.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB were pretty unexciting. Better than most stuff around, crappy by U2 standards. The quote therefore, didn't prove to be true - but then it wasn't referred to musical quality but rather to sales performance.

if bono means make two albums that don't go at least platinum or gold +big internet sales, and they have no commercal power left, then no .they havn't made back to back commercal flops since boy and oct. and those have since sold very well. i wonder if bono is referencing the old rule, (not sure what it is now, when u have to factor in legal/illegal downloading), that a bands new album has to sell at least platinum, to still be revelant to a commercal audience. like when a washed up band past its prime, plays a show and does a "new" song from a album no one cares about, and every one heads to bathroom or the food stand. until they play a old hit. mabey he means that.

Not to everyone.

Really it's subjective when you get to the bottom of it. I feel that Beautiful Day and Walk On are classic songs. I also feel that Elevation and Stuck are very good songs. Now I realize that others may hate those songs but the fact is that BD won song/record or the year at the grammies in 2001, Walk on won record of the year in 2002 and Stuck was nominated for song/record of the year 2002. So, I know Im not alone (Elevation also won a grammy :love:). Not to say that the Grammies=musical taste but Im just saying that there are at least some people that would agree with those 4.

Every album is considered crap by at least one person here, except maybe (maybe) JT, which happens to be in a distant second for this board's 'best album' preference. AB is loved by the vast majority, but hated by a very small few.

Lol, the hardcore fans like every single note they produce. U2 fans are the worst, lol :lol: Maybe Radiohead fans are worser.

What i mean is, when HTDAAB came out everyone also was crazy about it and said it was an amazing album, etc. Same is happening now with NLOTH, let's see after the hype is over if this album is still considired that good as it is now.

The only songs i still enjoy are Breathe and Being Born, and the solo/end of Unkown Caller, the beginning is too long.

Also, GOYB shouldn't be on the album. Crazy Tonight is enjoyable, but "It's not a hill" parts are pretty bad.

But it still has very good moments, MOS, NLOTH, Being born. And Breathe is now one of my favorite U2 songs ever, Magnificent is still a fun song.

So no, NLOTH is not a bad album. Especially if you compare it to the crap that is labeled as music today, i.e. the new pussycat dolls song, or Gavin Degraw's new album.

I think Rattle & Hum is a pretentious mess as an album, but I really like several of the studio tracks. If it was a low-key, roots studio album, I think it would have been a lot better. I think the best thing about Rattle & Hum was it forced U2 to reinvent themselves with Achtung Baby & Zoo TV. They definitely turned a negative into a major positive. Instead of being self-concious in front of cameras, they embraced them head on. Instead of being grim & black & white, they started to have fun and see colors. To answer the original question, I think Rattle & Hum was U2's only serious misstep artistically. October could have been a bit stronger, but they were young, rushed, and Bono had his lyrics stolen. They still sound more muscular as a band though, even if Boy is a much stronger album IMO.

no crap album.

some are better than others, but it's pretty normal to have preferences...

ATYCLB and HTDAAB (suddenly after the Vertigo tour for some reason) are the weakest IMO

I think NLOTH is far from a masterpiece...but I still think it's very good...am I alone on this?

Back
Top Bottom