13 years ago today. The day my life changed! (Brit awards 2001)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rennowba

Rock n' Roll Doggie
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fktil1dQlYc

This single 3 song performance changed my life. It got me into u2 and i also found music through it.

I was 14 at the time and the whole thing blew me away.

Mainly down to Bono during until the end of the world,wow. He grabbed me round the neck through my tv screen and shook me up.

I remember going into school the next day and everybody was talking about it.

With the brit awards tonight it just reminded me of that special night in my life!

Just watching it back again gave me goosebumps.

This was my birth of love for u2 and it also put me on the road to loving music (beatles/stones etc etc etc) it got me into proper music basically.

Bono is the most important member of the band full stop and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.Yes they all need each other but without Bono as a frontman it just wouldnt happen. He was the one that brought me in and ive been obsessed ever since :)

:up:

Fantastic post.

U2 were just on fire during this period, they really played like they had something to prove...because they did.

Bono is the most important member of the band full stop and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.Yes they all need each other but without Bono as a frontman it just wouldnt happen.

This goes without saying, is self-evident, inarguable, non-debatable, and 100% spot on. I was just thinking about this today actually...you simply can't overstate Bono's charisma, stage presence, sheer force of personality and his crucial importance to U2 and rock music. The guy is one of the greatest frontmen in rock history. Seeing him in that video you just posted, and comparing it to the Fallon Invisible performance...the guy still has it, and clearly continues to love every moment of what he does. We should really enjoy this time watching this guy work, and all of U2.

Savour it people, because when it's done, it's done.

There's another thread here asking for suggestions to make a U2 playlist to introduce a new listener to the band. And after re watching that video after all this time, I think that 3 song set would suffice. It's a prime example of how, when this band is live, is 'on', there's an element that comes across that really can't be matched by many, if any, other groups. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Fairplay to hamish hamilton aswell who does a great job of directing it all.

Havent the band used him for every dvd release since then?

ah i remember that performance really well! watched it on telly - it was awesome awesome awesome :up:

Fantastic post.

U2 were just on fire during this period, they really played like they had something to prove...because they did.

This goes without saying, is self-evident, inarguable, non-debatable, and 100% spot on. I was just thinking about this today actually...you simply can't overstate Bono's charisma, stage presence, sheer force of personality and his crucial importance to U2 and rock music. The guy is one of the greatest frontmen in rock history. Seeing him in that video you just posted, and comparing it to the Fallon Invisible performance...the guy still has it, and clearly continues to love every moment of what he does. We should really enjoy this time watching this guy work, and all of U2.

That's great, love stories like this.

U2 was pounded into my head from day 1 so I didn't really have a choice. :D

Also love Bono going out into the crowd at the end. A normal day at the office for him but you could tell it was driving that security guy crazy.

The outro in that version of One is spectacular... "and I walk away from the troubles in my life..."

...never gets old!

Fantastic post.

Great post Nick.

Today someone walked into my office and she said she saw Fallon the other night. She said that in her mind Bono seems like the last o cc the great frontman. Jagger, Daltry, Morrison.....

He's the last of the rock stars. Obviously. It would be very fun to write a book about him, darn it all. There's just no way to think about Bono without stroking his ego.

It was like one of the ONLY Brit awards that FOX gave here in cable

I don't remember other year, I do remember just catching that, like 3-5 minutes before they play. I didn't even knew they were gonna play, and it was amazing.

I was furious when they cut it, and I think they played Mysterious Ways too, but that wasn't broadcasted

I was 16, already a fan since 97, I went to Popmart in 98, U2 Week in MTV at the end of 2000 was GLORY for me, and also went to buy ATYCLB on day one. This was just the icing of the cake. Too bad they didn't tour here in 2002 :sad:

The outro in that version of One is spectacular... "and I walk away from the troubles in my life..."

...never gets old!

Bono dedicated one to craig david when they took the award aswell.

It was the year craig david had something like a 100 nominations and didnt win one :) was bono just taking the mickey out of him?

It was great at school the next day as craig david was really popular with fellow 14 year olds and bono just owned him. Everyone was talking about it :)

Back
Top Bottom