What Symbol Best Resembles U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I've personally boiled down my symbol for U2 as a big, glowing heart. It seems like passion and love are the central themes that run through all or almost all of their songs. Of course, sunglasses might be another good symbol because of the band's love for a good bout of insincerity once in a while (ie. Vertigo). Other symbols that could represent different aspects of U2 might include the lemon (over the top irony), the white flag (honest politics), or even a Joshua Tree/Trabant (possibly connected with their journies through the U.S. and Europe).

What would be your top choice for U2's all-encompassing symbol?

I think the Zooropa baby-head best symbolizes the band, or at least used to.

The space helmet represents a sense of adventure and exploration, while the baby means that they still see things through the eyes of a child; open to those new ideas, not yet cynical about the world around them.

laz

lazarus said:

The space helmet represents a sense of adventure and exploration, while the baby means that they still see things through the eyes of a child; open to those new ideas, not yet cynical about the world around them.
laz

is that the explanation? cause i was wondering what is that...:ohmy:

lazarus said:
I think the Zooropa baby-head best symbolizes the band, or at least used to.

laz

Cool. I hadn't thought of that one.

jick said:

Come now Jick, do you really think money is the true motivation for U2 to continue as a band? Has money been communicated as a theme throughout their catalog of songs? If you can prove that, I'd be impressed.

tough one...but I'd have to go with the boy in the gasmask

the cover for the sweetest thing single.

I think it conveys the reality of the world with the idealism of youth. And is a comment on the fact that the people that as ridiculous as it seems for a little boy to be wearing a gasmask

1.) in certain parts of the world it's true
2.) if it isn't true..as the boy grows up it certainly could come true..does it matter at what age he first has to put it on? doesn't look equally ridiculous at all ages that we actually have a need for such a device?

Arun V said:
tough one...but I'd have to go with the boy in the gasmask

the cover for the sweetest thing single.

I think it conveys the reality of the world with the idealism of youth. And is a comment on the fact that the people that as ridiculous as it seems for a little boy to be wearing a gasmask

1.) in certain parts of the world it's true
2.) if it isn't true..as the boy grows up it certainly could come true..does it matter at what age he first has to put it on? doesn't look equally ridiculous at all ages that we actually have a need for such a device?

That's definitely an interesting one. Does it encompass more of U2 than a heart, though?

FullonEdge2 said:

Come now Jick, do you really think money is the true motivation for U2 to continue as a band? Has money been communicated as a theme throughout their catalog of songs? If you can prove that, I'd be impressed.

The query asked for an all-encompassing symbol, not what U2's motivation is. My reply goes much deeper than just motivation.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

The query asked for an all-encompassing symbol, not what U2's motivation is. My reply goes much deeper than just motivation.

Cheers,

J

Does that mean that U2 is not only motivated by money, but also represented by money? I know the band is a corporation, and a fairly crafty one at that, but I just can't comprehend money symbolizing U2.

yeah, I am with Rebekah, don't know if the heart in the suitcase is THE symbol, but it is my favorite symbol :heart:

$ is money. U2 are rich.

$ is generally the currency where all other currencies are measured against. U2 are the bar for which all bands aspire to be.

$ is usually accepted in all countries. U2's music is universal.

$ has a long history with U2, from the lyrics "peeling off those dollar bills" to the play money on every Zoo TV show.

$ makes the world go round. U2 make the world go round.

When we bought our first U2 albums or U2 merchandise, we used $. So we exchanged $ for U2.

So U2 = $.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
$ is money. U2 are rich.

$ is generally the currency where all other currencies are measured against. U2 are the bar for which all bands aspire to be.

$ has a long history with U2, from the lyrics "peeling off those dollar bills" to the play money on every Zoo TV show.

When we bought our first U2 albums or U2 merchandise, we used $. So we exchanged $ for U2.

So U2 = $.

Cheers,

J

Ok. Although I don't necessarily agree with that explanation, I can see where you're coming from.

jick said:
$ is money. U2 are rich.

So U2 = $.

Cheers,

J

these comparisons do not mean ANYTHING!!!!!! u2 do not make these prices, they dont decide them. fanfire, amazon, and all those retail stores make the prices. it's the promoters who make the tickets expensive. so what if $$$ is mentioned in a song, anyone can do that.

Their best symbol are Bono and Sunglasses.
I know that Bono isn't a symbol, but when someone thinks of U2 they first see Bono, then others

U2= the picture of the luggage with the heart in the middle, simply meaning they carry emotion and love wherever they go and never part with it.

Back
Top Bottom