War...U2's breakthrough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Now I wasn't born when this was out but anyway...

Is it fair to say that War was U2's first 'classic' or breakthrough album? Because Boy and October weren't really that well recepted. Ask a non-U2 fan have they heard of the song I Will Follow or Out Of Control or Gloria or I Threw A Brick Through A Window and they will most likely say no. But you ask them if they've heard of New Year's Day or Sunday Bloody Sunday and you're more likely to get a yes answer.

Also, according to the book U2: A Conspiracy Of Hope, these were the chart positions of albums in the UK (up to Achtung Baby) -
Boy - #52
October - #11
War - #1
Under A Blood Red Sky - #2
The Unforgettable Fire - #1
The Joshua Tree - #1
Rattle & Hum - #1
Achtung Baby - #2

So, since War was released, only UABRS and AB missed number one.

Remember though that my statement was that War was the first classic album everywhere, not just in the UK. The UK is the only place I had stats for.

I would agree that War definitely broke them to wider audience. I live in the states and was around back then. U2 didn't really get significant mainstream AOR radio play until New Year's Day. UABRS also gave them a big boost as MTV played clips from the Red Rocks show. Of course, 1985 was an even bigger year for U2 as increasing numbers of people took notice. A Rolling Stone cover in March (Our Choice: Band of the 80's) and their Live Aid performance was watched by millions.

Having lived through it, I say YES. When War came out, it was a big deal on the radio and TV, and at that time most people, me included, didn't even know Boy and October existed. It was SBS, NYD, and most especially Red Rocks being overplayed on TV that broke them. There are those who say it was Live Aid or JT, and those things made them bigGER, but they were made household names by War. True story.

U2Kitten said:
It was SBS, NYD, and most especially Red Rocks being overplayed on TV that broke them.
they were made household names by War.

Exactly right !! ... I couldn't have said it better myself !! :wink::
VH-1's U2 Legends program claims that War was the album where Bono found his voice !! :bow:
War was U2's first masterpiece, the album that started their success and reign to fame !!
There will NEVER be another U2 album EVER like it !! :up:

UABRS has received a lot of attention.

In New Zealand our biggest department store chain is The Warehouse and in practically every one of their stores you go into, you'll find that half of the U2 cd's their are UABRS.

COBL_04 said:
Now I wasn't born when this was out but anyway...

Is it fair to say that War was U2's first 'classic' or breakthrough album? Because Boy and October weren't really that well recepted. Ask a non-U2 fan have they heard of the song I Will Follow or Out Of Control or Gloria or I Threw A Brick Through A Window and they will most likely say no. But you ask them if they've heard of New Year's Day or Sunday Bloody Sunday and you're more likely to get a yes answer.

Also, according to the book U2: A Conspiracy Of Hope, these were the chart positions of albums in the UK (up to Achtung Baby) -
Boy - #52
October - #11
War - #1
Under A Blood Red Sky - #2
The Unforgettable Fire - #1
The Joshua Tree - #1
Rattle & Hum - #1
Achtung Baby - #2

So, since War was released, only UABRS and AB missed number one.

Remember though that my statement was that War was the first classic album everywhere, not just in the UK. The UK is the only place I had stats for.

yeah WAR got them on the radio, which is important to any band trying to make it. I'm so surprised to learn that Actung Baby never hit #1!!! it's one of the greatest albums in history...even Rolling Stone ranked it at #62 when they ranked the 500 best albums ever! (JT at 26)...

source

Whilst I would agree that it was 'War!' that was U2's breakthrough as it were, look at the figures; leaping from #52 with your debut to #11 with your second album is quite impressive and would suggest that U2 were gaining a big following. Therefore I think it was 'October' that led U2 to being a household name but it was 'War!' that put them on the path to superstardom.

I was 16 then and remember those days very clearly. War was a sensation. The New Years' Day song and video was very popular. Having Blood Red Sky follow right behind War was a stroke of genius. That amped up the excitement even more. Those performances from Red Rocks were so powerful, and now, iconic. By the time U2 came around to my hometown there were thousands of us just salivating to hear and see them perform. At the time, there was nothing like them on the music scene. They really carved out there own (riveting) identity.

Back
Top Bottom