Vertigo X2 wasn't a bad thing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tpsglick2424 said:

I prefer the last song to be like 40 so you don't leave on a high note, and sing-a-long song...:shrug:

40 was a great closer - but not as good as vertigo I don't think.

To say that U2 have so many songs too choose from, and that they should not play Vertigo for that reason, is imho not a good argument. Of course they have more than enough material to not play the song twice. We know that. U2 know that. And people not on interference every day know that. Of course U2 didn't play the song twice because they didn't have enough songs. As I see it, Vertigo #2 is a bonus, that they didn't have to play at all, but wanted to play. And it worked, I think. It completed the circle.
And I like when U2 does something they shouldn't do. To play a song twice on a concert is not considered to be a good move. But then U2 comes, after almost 30 years as a BIG band, and do it. I like it when U2 does that. They shouldn't, but do it. And they do it in such a way that it works. And if you continue to tell them not to do that, they will. ;)

Last edited:
WildHoneyAlways said:

I've seen Vertigo X2 and thought it was lame.

I saw Vertigo 2... but played as the 2nd song... in Chile and Arg 1-2 (you know, meaning Vertigo 2 = at night, screen and band at full speed). And it was great... great as a 2nd song, after and UNBELIEVEABLE COBL...

so, my conclusion is...

Vertigo 1 sucks...

I mean... in Europe, with all the curfew crap and daylight start, They could've done a different aproach... like starting with ABOY, UTEOTW, Electric co, Elevation, BD, IWF, etc. etc... and then ENDING with VERTIGO

(no you know what.. DAYLIGHT CONCERTS SUCKS :madspit:.. what kind of ambient cand you do with DAYLIGHT?... to hell with that...)

or... they could make a "greatest-hits" beginning... I will follow, electric co, and all the other things, minus SBS, Streets, Pride and One... (I don't know.. I don't like it now) and when night comes, do a whole HTDAAB set, like the beginning of Zoo TV... and ending with VERTIGO

my point is... Vertigo 2 wouldn't suck if there wasn't a Vertigo 1...

is that simple

PS: If Hawaii ends with Vertigo too, just be happy and don't moan... because.. that show'll be like the southamerican ones, right?... COBL 1st, then Vertigo, and ALL at night.. right?

because DAYLIGHT CONCERT SUCKS

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd rather be the dark then in night because it's way more exciting,easier to see, you get better cooler look of the stage props, plus for the ZOO TV tour it sucked in daytime because you couldn't see the screens well at all. ^With the curfew stuff, every stadium/arena has that.....

For the people who work at the stadium and for the owner of the stadium....U2 has to pay $ if they go over curfew..

pepokiss said:

I mean... in Europe, with all the curfew crap and daylight start, They could've done a different aproach... like starting with ABOY, UTEOTW, Electric co, Elevation, BD, IWF, etc. etc... and then ENDING with VERTIGO

my point is... Vertigo 2 wouldn't suck if there wasn't a Vertigo 1...

is that simple

If Hawaii ends with Vertigo too, just be happy and don't moan... because.. that show'll be like the southamerican ones, right?... COBL 1st, then Vertigo, and ALL at night.. right?

I agree with it.
In the Brisbane setlist thread in the Setlists section I went with something similar to that. No Vertigo in the beginning, only closing.

Lots of folks who are against Vertigo X2 probably weren't at the concert.
I consider myself an experience U2 concert-goer (18 times over the last 20 years) and Vertigo x2 kicked ass in the European outdoor setting last year.
Kicking off the show with Vertigo, often in broad daylight and the sun still shining was Awesome.
Finishing the show in the dark with the big videowall and all the grapghics was great too...... a fantastic apotheosis of a marvellous outdoor production...

yeh - when i saw it, it ruled. Left you on a real high as opposed to a slower song! then again i could hear them play it 10 times and it'd still rock!

I would love to have seen VertigoX2 so I could judge better, but it wasn't done at any of the shows I went to. I'm showing my age here, but 40 is the ultimate closer, but I also feel Streets was the ultimate opener. Bring back 1987!

pepokiss said:
WHY there's a curfew?

Also has to do with the location of the stadium, if it's in or near a residential area. Noise from the concert itself, noise from 80,000 people leaving in the middle of the night etc.

The Sydney Football Stadium (ZooTV, Popmart) has an earlyish curfew as it is surrounded by a residential area. Telstra Stadium (Vertigo) has one, but about an hour later, as it's in the middle of the otherwise empty Olympic Park precinct. Sydney Vertigo will be entirely in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom