U2's Dublin: Dockers: Where Everybody Knows You?re a Fan*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/u2ireland/dockers-thmb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Cristina Cantu (Mullen-Girl)

There is a small pub on the south side of Dublin at Sir Rogerson?s Quay. It?s a quiet place and not much to look at, anyone that is not a U2 fan would more than likely walk by and not notice, but it has a lot of history, U2 history that is. It?s the famous Dockers pub. For every U2 fan that flocks to Dublin, Ireland, this is one of the important stops along the way to U2?s studio at Hanover Quay.

Dockers is well known as the pub where U2 used to go to while they were recording at Windmill Lane, which is located around the corner. Nowadays, the band does not frequent it as often as they used to, but it is full of cheery U2 fans and welcoming locals. As you walk in the door, you notice it?s very dark and usually there aren?t many people there. You are greeted by a very friendly bartender. ?What can I get ya?? he says in his Irish brogue. As you order a drink, you look around and notice all the U2 memorabilia - gold records at the bar, a cabinet with Larry?s drumsticks, and the actual Fly shades that Bono wore during ZooTV, among other things. You walk into the women?s restroom, and see myriad messages written on the wall, proclaiming their love for U2, even asking the members to marry them. The bartender tells stories about the ?lads? (as they are known) and even lets some of the fans try on the Fly shades.

dockers.jpg

But Dockers wasn?t always hopping with customers; in fact, Dockers was in danger of shutting down. Thankfully, the owners received some donations to keep it alive, and among the donors were U2. Thanks to them, the place is happily buzzing with the locals and fans mixing together.

So next time you?re in Dublin, why don?t you stumble out of the rain, order a pint or two and sit back and relax in a very special place, a place full of U2 history and memories.

Last edited:
Nice one!!

The best Guinness outside the Storehouse!! As for the staff they are fab!!!
Looking forward to a Guinness and a cheese toastie on Wednesday!!!:hyper:

I will get Bono in there for a drink he's promised us!!:drool:

I second ( or third) that. Their toasted cheese is to die for. along with the irish coffees we had on a rainy rainy day in Sept 2002.

Great place with friendly staff.

Ah, dublin!

Great story of a great pub that has a great public!! Am I losing it??? I love the Dockers it's exactly a piece of the old Dublin - and U2 fans have a home here - forget Temple Bar - this is the place where I enjoy a pint. Wonderful article Mullen-Girl. You've brought me down memory lane. All the best to Bono's Tart and hope she pops in here for a refresher after meeting Bono tomorrow!!

oh great memories!
even if this pub wasn't a fan's mekka I would prefer it from all the Temple pubs crowded with tourists and hen/stag parties!

you can see there some signs of U2 presence:
> famous sunglasses that I had a chance to make a photo with - the closest encounter to U2 i had so far,
> the loo confessions - also in the gents as I checked and photographed although girls shouldn't go there
> martin, the friendly (and handsome) bartender with many U2 stories up his sleeve who can always tell who's a fan from the first look at the individual
> golden records over the bar
> photo of mr LeMon with Bono

plus some local attractions, meaning locals - if you meet mr Fox , ask him about u2 gig he attended in 1979 or 80 and he will tell you that they were shite... and then will burst into a u2 song...

and I fourth :) the opinion about melts!

if you are going to visit dublin - don't miss the opportunity to go there!

Yeah I tried on the sunglasses in the Men's loo lmao

We became friends with Martin. Actually one of my friends was dating him for awhile and he actually let me behind the bar and let me pour a few Guinnesses sometimes. :)

I was with Mr. LeMon when that picture was taken...actually i'm the one that took it :D

I like Dockers :yes:

It's friendly in there. Me and my friend went in quite a few times and hid from the rain :D

When I was there last (May last year) the manager (can't remember his name) told me that it's having a major refit. they are going to be knocking through into the building next door and doubling it's size. Although when I was in Dublin a month or two back I looked from the other side of the river and it didn't look like that had happened..........

Maybe the plans got shelved :shrug:

Oh my goodness I remember Docker's as well lol. I didn't get to go in due to time constraints, but I do remember walking past it towards the Windmill Grafitti Wall lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom