U2 Tokyo 3 - videoclips from the front row

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4U2Play

Refugee
Here is a videoclip of our experiences at the epic U2 Tokyo 3 show on December 4, 2006 that I finally just synchronized with the IEM audio bootleg and uploaded to Veoh (as usual, it's best to stop the videoplayer and allow the thin, blue or gray upload bar to make its way across the bottom of the screen for a smoother view):

http://www.veoh.com/channels/nicksclips

Pre-show

The Saitama Super Arena used a numbered ticketing system for the General Admission Floor, in which those with lower numbers printed on their tickets entered first. This system sort of worked for the first two Tokyo shows, but by the time December 4th arrived, word got out that the arena security weren't enforcing the numbering system very well at all, so hundreds of fans jumped the queue and caused mass chaos at the front of the line just before they opened the doors to let us in.

I'm a bit wary of crowds, so I stood to the side when everyone started running to the front, bummed to think that I wouldn't be on the rail again that night. I was spoiled.

As luck would have it, though, I ended up about 200 people back in line directly in front of another entrance door that the Saitama staff accidentally opened 20 minutes before schedule. Ten of us fans hurriedly walked in, had our tickets scanned and scurried into the empty arena, which wasn't quite empty, actually -- U2 were still onstage doing their soundcheck. As we entered the Ellipse, Bono looked down at us in the middle of "Out Of Control" and gave us a puzzled look, like "what the fuck are you guys doing here??"

Unfortunately, Adam's personal security guard quickly came over and apologetically ushered us out again. Once we got outside, I noticed U2's head of security, Scott, standing there smoking a cigarette. I told him what had just happened, and how I was concerned that our tickets wouldn't work anymore, so he told me not to worry, that he would personally walk us in a few minutes ahead of the rest of the crowd so we could be up front again. Nice!

This is what you see at beginning of this videoclip -- ten lucky U2 fans standing at the rail waiting for the rest of the crowd to slowly be frog-marched into the arena by the nervous Saitama security guards. You can hear Tom from London yelling at me to hold him a spot, then see him rushing the rail as I'm urging him on, "Run! Run! Come on, Tom!"

Also, Scott stops by to chat with us about the upcoming Hawaii gig.

"Out Of Control"

The crowd inside the Ellipse was jammed in like sardines at the front, we could barely move. We had to hold on for dear life during the uptempo numbers, otherwise we would've been swept underneath the crowd, it was pretty crazy.

Consequently, filming the gig from the rail was rather difficult. This clip is particularly shaky, so skip it if you get headaches easily!

Bono screws up the lyrics at the beginning. Bono throws water on us (I have to hide my camera). Bono sucks his thumb. Bono says, "Megalomania started at a very early age".

"Mysterious Ways"

On Dec. 3, the day before the Tokyo 3 concert, the Evans' and the Hewson's visited the ancient city of Kyoto. There, they met three charming young apprentice geishas, called "maiko". Edge's wife, Morleigh, suggested they come up to Tokyo and take over her old role: Mysterious Ways dancers.

When the tune started up, Tom and I were dreading another boring choice of dancers by Bono, so we were stoked to see him go in a totally new direction in the history of this song. In the video, you can see the maiko slowly shuffling their way across the stage from Adam's side, as Bono bows his head reverently.

The girls seem a bit lost, but you'll notice Morleigh in the pit in front of us guiding them along, smiling hugely.

Another truly memorable U2 moment

http://morleighsteinberg.blogspot.com/2007/07/geishas-during-vertigo-tour-in-japan_25.html

"Window In The Skies"

U2 debuted this song at Tokyo 1, so this was only the third time they played it as a full band live. I really like it, especially with the weird hippy graphics glowing on the gigantic light screen in back. The Tokyo fans didn't seem to know it, so the crowd was calm and sedate, enabling me to shoot the performance relatively evenly, at least until...

"Vertigo" (Encore)

I'm one of those fans who prefers to see U2 do as many different songs as possible, and not waste valuable time repeating a number, but I have to admit, this encore ("in the Italian sense") really blew me away.

The videoclip doesn't do it justice, but the energy inside that arena during those four minutes was astonishing. You can hear Bono call an audible to Larry just before they launch into it, and thank goodness they did. "40" bums me out, so I was much happier to hear "Vertigo" again, and I think most everyone else there agreed.

Post-show

The Japanese U2 fans were so cool and friendly to us, you will see that in these post-show clips. A bunch of us fans from all over the world ended up at a traditional Japanese restaurant afterwards, where we discussed Tokyo 3's relative merits compared to Montreal 1 and Melbourne 2, before heading out to the notorious bars in the Roppongi district for a night of debauchery and fun.

Hahaha, my pleasure!

I'll work on the Hawaii videoclips starring you and Maddie next...

Wow, you did a great job, love that Vertigo clip, you really get a sense of the energy.

I'd love to see some footage from that nights performance of Bad, its my absolute favourite from that tour.

thank you for this!

can this be torrented?

Last edited:
wow really cool, thanks! :)

someone said something at the end about keeping fingers crossed for a dvd....anyone think this is a possibility? that would be insane :drool:

Last edited:
Val said:
thank you for this!
can this be torrented?

Hey Val,

Not sure if videoclips can be torrented. The audio track passes muster, though, so that's not a problem.

I will contact the U2Torrents.com mods and see what they say.

I have even more front row clips from Tokyo 2, as well as "Streets" from Tokyo 1, so I'm thinking of putting everything onto one DVD and torrenting it, if allowed.

See "Streets" from Tokyo 1 here:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1405208XHTHPGf6?searchId=376880834148672340&rank=3

The only problem is, I have yet to find a lossless audio boot from the Tokyo 2 show. The original audio track is blown out, so that's not an option. U2Torrents will not allow the mp3 version to be used, so I'm stuck until someone comes across a flac/wav/shn version of the gig.

Back
Top Bottom