U2 Needs to play stadiums in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This new album buzz is really getting me worried about getting tickets for the upcoming tour in the US. Elevation was such a pain to get tickets to. Ticketmaster.com was a nightmare to get tickets (still is) and with demand going to be much higher I wish U2 would just play stadiums in the US.

I love stadium shows and U2 is the only band that could sale out a huge venue. On the Elevation tour I had to go to a broker for lower level tickets because U2 never came to my city and allocated so many tickets (upper level seats) to our area. I would pay $120 to sit close to the stage but they go so fast and brokers charge about $300-$500 for these seats. I want stadiums....:sad:

Stadiums may get more people in, but the show suffers greatly because stadiums are just giant open caverns and are not conducive to live sound. It's also already been confirmed that the tour is going to start in arenas in the US and then stadiums in Europe and the 2nd US leg will be stadiums.

bonosleftone said:
Stadiums may get more people in, but the show suffers greatly because stadiums are just giant open caverns and are not conducive to live sound. It's also already been confirmed that the tour is going to start in arenas in the US and then stadiums in Europe and the 2nd US leg will be stadiums.

2nd leg is going to be stadiums :scratch: . I sware I've read everywhere that Europe is the only one getting stadiums. If anything U2 should have mixed it up for the US like the stones did. Do arenas ins some markets and stadiums in another. It just the pain of getting arena tickets. Its not very fun.

According to McGuiness, there will only be arena shows in US. Which is dumb. Yeah, I can understand only playing arenas in places like Missouri, Tennessee or my native Ohio, but so many cities in the US could support stadium shows. If U2 actually tried to fill the demand in NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Boston, Phili, DC by doing only arena shows, they'd fill up 35 arena shows with just those cities. I bet they could sell out 10 shows at MSG. Easily.

But I live in Ohio, so getting tickets won't be too hard, as Ohio is not one of their hot spots, but I just worry about other people. Plus, I just want the experience of seeing U2 in a stadium again. I can't remember anything about Popmart when I saw it, I was only 14 and didn't fully know how to appreciate such a thing.

bonosleftone said:

I disagree. Some of the best shows I have ever seen have been in Stadiums. Its true that most fans well be farther away though. But, ticket prices for Stadiums will be cheaper as well.

We can only hope for stadiums. I just have this feeling U2 will play 10-15 stadium shows on the 3rd leg or in 2006 in the US. This is going to be a huge album and even bigger tour.

U2 is self promoting like never before in the US. I really doubt all this commercialization of their product is for 70 arena shows. Arena shows could be sold with a one week notice and no promotion. This huge media push is for the stadiums in the US second leg. Boston, Chicago, and New York will get multiple stadium shows in the second leg.

People complain about the sound at stadium shows, and indeed...'outdoors' is 'outdoors.' Not much you can do about that, EXCEPT keep in mind that some of these newer stadiums (i.e. Gillette Stadium south of Boston) are more aligned with concerts that the venues they replaced. You're not going to have perfect sound, but my sense is that the 'experience' at Gillette will be so much more than it ever was at the old Foxboro Stadium.

69,000 actual seats AND the field seats (minus some seats they won't sell behind the stage) should bring Gillette's capacity to (my guess) 80,000 per show. Good thing the company I work for owns a suite at Gillette! Bad thing is that I won't be the only one clammoring for tix!

Chris in New Hampshire

bonosleftone said:

I agree - I saw ZooTV (indoor) my seats sucked but it was better than the ZooTV Outdoor. In addition, it does depend on the venue - Vet Stadium stunk for concerts - besides just smelling in general.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom