Tour Sponsorship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieTroy

Babyface
I thought I'd put up some info about tour sponsorship in case anyone's interested. It might help give an idea of how much U2 got out of RIM.

All of these figures except for the Rolling Stones info came from the book "This Business of Concert Promotion and Touring: A Practical Guide to Creating, Selling Organizing and Staging Concerts" by Ray Wadell, RIch Barnett and Jake Berry - a great book to read if you want to learn more about the business.

Paul McCartney received $5 million from Lexus to sponsor one of his tours in 2005. I think McCartney also appeared in an ad for Lexus as part of the arrangement.

Honda sponsored The Black Eyed Peas tour in 2006 for $1 million.

In 2002 the Goo Goo Dolls got $600,000 in tour sponsorship, not sure who from though.

Brooks and Dunn received $1.6 million from Toyota in 2006 to sponsor one of their tours.

The Rolling Stones got around $10 million in today's dollars in 1989 from Budweiser for their Steel Wheels tour.

I should also point out that all of those figures (except the Rolling Stones one) are unconfirmed. Artists tend to keep pretty quiet about how much they get from sponsors so strong rumours are about as close as you can get to the actual figures.

I would think it would have taken more than all those given the size of the tour, U2's name, not to mention throwing a wrench into their connection with Apple.

Back
Top Bottom