Tour concept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha I was at the Seattle popmart and the screen DID fritz out

I think a combo of Zoo TV like elements and the simpleness of Elevation would be nice, this album though to me is a lot more earthy and grounded than even ATYCLB. I think U2's days of technologically influenced tours are over. Popmart killed that conception. They can still be crazy creative without resorting to balls to the wall type of stage setup.

In the end though, I really think its going to be in the round. I mean with the Vertigo video and the "bomb" title, it seems almost fitting to do in the round this time. This album also could be seen as a "full circle" type of thing in terms of their career. I'm personally against that, I just don't feel it works (in the round) to the bands advantage but I do think that if any band can pull it off to everyones advantage (fans and band) it would be U2.

The thing I don't like about the concert in the round idea is that it reminds me of alot of tacky hair band and boyband concerts that I've seen snippets of. I can't imagine a way they'll make it work for all people around the center without it getting gimicky. Something about watching people rotate on something makes me laugh- like I'd expect to see it on a rerun of Star Search or something.

I just had a horribly horrible idea that the band would enter the arena in a really cheesy lookin mirrorball bomb that would glide down on strings into the center of the target and drop them off :lol:

I've only been to one "in the round" show that worked, and to be frank it isnt even in my top ten of all time and it was an artist I think is spectacular (Prince) live.

It's really hard to pull off, there are some plusses to it but I think the bad points outweigh the good.

In the round doesnt have to be rotating but I wouldnt want to be staring at their asses all night.

?

mofo82 said:
Arenas like the United Center here in Chicago have LED lightboards that encircle the 2nd level box suites, and are new since the last tour. They run some really cool graphics on those during basketball games- I would like to see those get used during a show if an arena has them.

The lightboards you speak of were there for all six United Center shows in 2001, so I'm not sure what you mean.

yYu know i couldnt remember if they were there or not...all I can remember is that when the band came out for the encore, people were slamming the lightboards, which I thought was just a randon scoreboard, and actually shattering the glass over the people below. Come to think of if, I think I remember saying to someone at the time "I hope they use the lightboards". Damn faulty brain of mine :wink:

I have been to two in the round shows this year and loved them. Every seat in the house seems close to the stage. Everytime the artist turns there is a new wave of fans cheering. One of the shows had a stage that had a revolving stage in the middle of it.
U2 can take this concept to another level by having the Vertigo rings with alternating revolving and stationary rings. The problem with a concert in the round is the floor seats are just horrible. The stage is raised and when the artist is on the opposite side of the stage, you can't see them.

bono_man2002 said:
The revolving stage will almost stop me from going to the shows if they have it....
i dont like that idea at all.

Prince, Peter Gabriel and Yes have all used center stage setups and I've got to say that is DEFINITELY the way to go for touring because all sightlines are essentially 1/2 an arena away instead of an entire arena.

The rotating stage allows everybody in the venue to get a closer view of each member of the band. Yes and Peter Gabriel both used rotating stages, Peter's was a much more effective use of it.

Their stage should be one encompassing their past as well as their future, and shoud include a union of stripped down rock and roll while incorporating high technology, and should also have elements of peace and activism.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom