The Reason I Sing: Part I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

'Rina

The Fly
Behind a pillar in my local, behind the paper in m
Well upon my return, I thought I’d come back properly. The only way I know how: write you something.

Disclaimer: None of this is real, none of it ever happened, I do not know the band or anyone related to them.
Off with the legaleese, on with the story.

The Reason I Sing: Part I

The year is 1981.
Somewhere in South London, the room above a pub is being used for the weekly folk club meeting. The bar downstairs is crowded with drinkers and gentle noise, even on this Wednesday evening, for those who aren’t brave enough to sing or play are often found standing in the stairwell listening to the voices and songs that tumble down from the circle of friends above.
A lone voice strikes up a melody. A woman who, in all her innocent sincerity, sings of her favourite places, the seasons dearest to her, and the songs of her youth. The rain does its best to compete with her voice, but all it does is drive people further into the room to huddle round her warmth and the sense of home that emanates from her. Sat in the far corner of the room, with his sister, is the man who will later become the singer’s husband. Getting some air into the warm room, and subconsciously letting his beloved’s voice out into the night for the world to hear, he opens the window beside him.

Although this woman, and her voice shape everything else that happens in this story, we cannot stay here in this room, and so, as all good listeners do, we follow that voice out into the rainy night. Out to the familiar looking band of young Irish musicians who are walking past the pub.

A blue-eyed ruffle-haired boy of 21 looks up at the window for a moment and listens, despite the rain. “Now that’s a voice,” he says to his companions who have already walked up the street. Speeding to catch up with them, he clamps a hand on his best friends shoulders and bounds up to them, breathing hard “honestly, call yourselves musicians” “Wha?” The young singer wipes the rain from his forehead and turns the boy with glasses and the soggy guitar player round and back toward the open window. “Just listen”. For two minutes, these soon-to-be-superstars stand transfixed, listening to the rain competing with the singer at the folk club. “A beautiful song” “a beautiful voice” “unforgettable in its simplicity” “my feet are wet, can we go now?” And so, turning up the street to where they have left their transport, the four of them turn from this part of South London, from the pub, and the folk club. Soon they will be back in their homes, with their families, and back in the studio writing their next album. Their thoughts will barely return to that moment of music in the rain. They will be occupied with schedules, tours and their own music.

As for the singer, she will soon be married but still singing daily to her family and although she will go to less Wednesday nights, they will still feature in her life for many years to come. It would be fitting, perhaps to introduce this lady better, introduce her name, her character, her appearance, but it is her absence which is the most important thing to this story and so absent she shall remain.

Interesting beginning. You got me curious now. I like the style. We should be proud. We've got so many talented writers here. Perhaps we should start our own club. :evil: :lol:

Maybe we should all get together and create a story with everyone adding their own chapter..... :evil: See where it takes us.

youvedonewhat said:
Interesting beginning. You got me curious now. I like the style. We should be proud. We've got so many talented writers here. Perhaps we should start our own club. :evil: :lol:

Maybe we should all get together and create a story with everyone adding their own chapter..... :evil: See where it takes us.

That is a really good idea.

This is a really good story!!

'Rina,
You are spinning a tale in just a few short paragrahs. Please please post a lot more as soon as you are able.

You mention your return-do you have other fics we can read??

and YDW, very nice snippet in your sig-
:drool: :drool:

youvedonewhat said:

I've thought of this too. I read a book by 12 Irish authors that was written this way and it got a bit crazy but I think we shouldn't discount the idea... :hmm:

Ok, so who's up for it then? We could each do a short chapter but leave off on some kind of cliff hanger that the next person could shape to please themselves. of course, we'd have to include some humour too...

Any ideas? How long chapters should be? How we'd do it so that only one person came along with the next chapter otherwise we'd end up in a muddle. I guess whoever does a chapter could perhaps ask someone of their choice to write the following one and so forth.

Anyway, suggestions??

Sorry, 'Rina, we're getting off topic. Perhaps we should discuss this in the YDW thread... :reject:

Back
Top Bottom