The idea behind the Best of Collections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

db u2

The Fly
The plan is for three.

1980-1990 Gold sleeve

1990-2000- Silver sleeve

2000-2010- Bronze coloured sleeve

quite Olympic......indeed

as for 2010-2020: only to be offered in retirement homes:wink:

But beyond that wouldn't there probably be other types of best of and greatest hits collections? You know, maybe like some Beatles Anthology-type releases with outtakes, alternative and live versions, etc. Then going into maybe an all-balads collection, an all-rock collection, and so forth. Like with The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith, it seems like record companies can find a million different ways to do band compilations, like coming out with a best of every five years or something. I totally foresee after U2 comes out with their three, or whatever, best ofs, that many, many more could follow into infinity.

This is very interesting.

If that theory holds true - fans will have a field day analyzing what U2 is "trying to say" by having the first series be gold and the last bronze if we're looking at it in an Olympic "winning a medal" light. Fans get silly like that and might fear that U2 is saying their best work was their first work by the "gold" coloring. I dunno.

HelloAngel said:
This is very interesting.

If that theory holds true - fans will have a field day analyzing what U2 is "trying to say" by having the first series be gold and the last bronze if we're looking at it in an Olympic "winning a medal" light. Fans get silly like that and might fear that U2 is saying their best work was their first work by the "gold" coloring. I dunno.

I guess they could go platinum or diamond but that might look too much like silver.

Dalkey Beach said:
The plan is for three.

1980-1990 Gold sleeve

1990-2000- Silver sleeve

2000-2010- Bronze coloured sleeve

quite Olympic......indeed

as for 2010-2020: only to be offered in retirement homes:wink:

:yes:

oh my god, that comment about retirement homes is really making my mortality hit home.

I'm just a little younger than the lads and the idea that they might have to(?)/want to *stop* doing the rockstar thing is scary...

I realize that the idea that they might *not* want to scares the folks who will be 33 in 2020, but still!:scream:

Would songs such as walk on and elevation go in the 2000-2010 set? Or will they be left off alltogether because BD and Stuck made it to best of 1990-2000?

I wonder if those two songs just missed the cut Or were held back because their single release dates were later?

Last edited:
Arun V said:
Would songs such as walk on and elevation go in the 2000-2010 set? Or will they be left off alltogether because BD and Stuck made it to best of 1990-2000?

I wonder if those two songs just missed the cut Or were held back because their single release dates were later?

My head spins at the thought of trying to find it, but I think Edge or maybe it was the message from U2 where they had an answer on this.

*off to search*

I think Elevation and Walk On would definitely have to be on them, considering ATYCLB had enough singles to offer both the Best Ofs 2 songs each (but we'll see).

With those 2 and Vertigo, we already have 3 songs that would go on there for sure. :)

the leaked Miracle Drugs and All Because of You sound pretty good 2, if u can hear them over the spanish guys talkin

I'm placing my bets on All Because of You also to make the 2000-2010 best of... but the boys really need to get in high gear if they want to make it even worth putting out a best of 2000-2010.. in the 80's they put out 7 albums, in the 90's they put out 4 (including the first best of), and they are on pace for only making 4 albums this decade (ATYCLB, second best of, HTDAAB).. their next album will come out in 2008 at this pace.. I really hope that they try to do something during the tour, but don't rush it like they did with zooropa

Since we prolly will get one more new album before the decade is over with you can count on the fact that a few ATYCLB songs, a good portion of HTDAAB and whatever is on the album after that will make it to the last Best Of. Maybe some remixes or some new songs too?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom