The Edge and the Digitech Whammy II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Edge15

The Fly
I am talking about the Whammy II, not his original Whammy WH-1.

The Whammy II is a Black pedal, and like the normal Whammy, can be used for pitch-shifting.

This article:Pedalboard e Set-Up: Set-Up de The Edge

The article says that the Edge used the Whammy II.
I am guessing that he used in the 90's AB, ZOOROPA AND POP era.

Anyone know what he used it for?

Pic:
digitech_whammyII.JPG

Edge has always used the WH-1. AB album to present day.

Dallas mentioned they tried a WH-2 but it didn't sound as good and it was easy to accidentally hit the switch on the lower bottom right, so the never went with the WH-2.

* As for that site, there are a good deal of inaccuracies.

The Sobbat they have listed and pictured is not the one Edge used. The pics they have for many of the items are not of the same vintage or model. The Whammy reissue is not something I've seen him use, yet it is pictured in the site. It has the wrong version of the Durham Sex Drive pictured.

I just hope Digitech will re-issue WH-1 because original has much better sweeping sounds (because of the chip) than newer Whammy, which has better response

I talked to Digitech about the WH-1 in 2003. I asked about it. I pointed out that both The Edge and Tom Morello stated they preferred the sound of the WH-1.

The guy from Digitech was a bit of a dick about it, when I asked about the idea of a WH-1 Limited Edition original spec. He said: "We are about moving forward and not looking back."

He did explain that they couldn't remake the WH-1 if they wanted. WH-1 used a 16-biot chip. It's no longer made. WH-4 (the reissue at the time) used a 24-bit.

That is why the WH-4 is cleaner and clearer with is exactly what Edge and Morello don't like about the reissues. They don't have the grit - that grit being a by-product of the 16-bit chip.

I just hope Digitech will re-issue WH-1 because original has much better sweeping sounds (because of the chip) than newer Whammy, which has better response

I feel like many people just fix the position of pedal to get harmonizer/ pitch shift effect rather than moving around pedal to get sweeping sounds like Tom and Edge.

The octave or two octave sweeping that Morello and Edge use it for is cool but they are only using one small aspect of what the pedal can do.

The pedals does a lot more. You can run the dry signal AND wet signal to get cool harmonizing effects. The Deep De-Tune setting is cool too.

There's lots of whammy on the Passengers soundtrack. It's used in a more ambient way. There is both octave sweeps and some harmonizing. "United Colours" comes to mind as on with some harmonizing from the WH-1.

And there is 'Peace On Earth' from ATYCLB. He uses 5th below and 4th above, according to his interview in the 2001 Guitar Player magazine.

from GP magazine:

GP: You were the first guy a lot of people heard use the Whammy pedal. What attracted you to that effect.

Edge: It was just such a dramatic, extreme effect. That being said, there are very subtle, beautiful things you can do with it. I used it on "Peace on Earth" for this bizarre, atmospheric, almost Chinese-sounding part. It's a 5th below and a 4th above.

GP: You use the Whammy pedal in a more extreme way on "When I Look at the World".

Edge: Yes. In the middle solo, I'm using it with an echo in the choruses.

It would be cool. But as I mentioned, the guy I spoke to at Digitech seems to think that looking back isn't the answer. Lame of them.

If they had someone make the 16-bit chips and made an accurate WH-1 replica, they would sell it by special order. I suspect many would buy it. But they are adamant that they are a company of change….

Look at Fender, Gibson, Gretsch… they realized the truth. People want and like certain designs. When did Fender, Gibson and Gretsch pull out of their 1970's slumps? When they realized this and went back to some vintage old spec designs.

If they cant go bak to thefirst whammy version they could do the whammy actaul but with the same size than original

Time will tell. Think that the last whammy has the same pedal design than the WH1.... Maybe the next one will be a reiisue WH1. They say that will not come back tomthe first one but they can change the opinion.

I think it's true that more people are becoming okay with newer Whammy, like Jack White, Matt Bellamy, Steve Vai etc who uses newer one, although some like Tom, Edge, and Joe Perry like older ones

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom