Pearl Jam Messageboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgv

ONE love, blood, life
(I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this..) I was just wondering if anyone else had been reading the pearl jam messageboards and seeing what most of the pearl jam fans think about their band supporting U2. Most of them seem to see it as a bad decision on Pearl Jams part, and that its more like 'U2 and Pearl' rather than 'Pearl Jam supporting U2.'

There are some interesting arguments going on here - http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=207331. Lots of (what i thought to be) needless attacks on U2s live shows and ticket prices. Are U2 really hated by all other big-band fans?

Wouldn't stress about it. They are a pretty critical bunch over there, its a pretty hardcore fan base.

I think the core issue is Pearl jam can play 100 different songs over 3 nights...... whereas u2's setlist is set in concrete. Many of them get fired up about that, not realising pearl jam dont have a stage show to co-ordinate.

My main worry is that at the Hawaii gig there will be loads of pearl jam fans (maybe even the same amount as u2 fans?) and the gig will lack that atmosphere that only U2 fans can bring. Singing along to all the songs, loving every minute...if the audience has even a few unhappy-with-u2 pearl jam fans could that bring the show down?

Remember that 99.99999% of fans dont post on message forums. I wouldnt take the vibe on the Pearl Jam message board to mean jack sh1t.

I could only bring myself to skim over a couple of pages. I'm not surprised they have their noses out of joint, being PJ fans. I guess they don't like the idea of PJ being someone elses support band.

I don't get it. They think U2 are shit, but want to go to the show JUST to see PJ. Then they whinge about how PJ won't have a long enough set because of U2 and how the show should be JUST PJ! :eyebrow: Do they not realise how ridiculous they sound? It is a U2 concert.... if ya don't wanna see U2, then DON'T BUY TICKETS! It's not that hard! :|

when bono came on stage to do rockin in the free world, the PJ fans seemed to go nuts, my point being if they really hated them that much, why go nuts like that?

OceanGirl said:
I could only bring myself to skim over a couple of pages. I'm not surprised they have their noses out of joint, being PJ fans. I guess they don't like the idea of PJ being someone elses support band.

I don't get it. They think U2 are shit, but want to go to the show JUST to see PJ. Then they whinge about how PJ won't have a long enough set because of U2 and how the show should be JUST PJ! :eyebrow: Do they not realise how ridiculous they sound? It is a U2 concert.... if ya don't wanna see U2, then DON'T BUY TICKETS! It's not that hard! :|

I found that really annoying - how they were saying it like its a pearl jam gig. This is U2's big night, why go if you're not interested in them?

partygirlvox said:

I found that really annoying - how they were saying it like its a pearl jam gig. This is U2's big night, why go if you're not interested in them?

If a band you love is playing, even if they are just the opening act...why not go? When Ryan Adams opened for the Rolling Stones, people who disliked the Stones went simply to see Ryan. If they're willing to pay the price, let them have at it.

partygirlvox said:
My main worry is that at the Hawaii gig there will be loads of pearl jam fans (maybe even the same amount as u2 fans?) and the gig will lack that atmosphere that only U2 fans can bring. Singing along to all the songs, loving every minute...if the audience has even a few unhappy-with-u2 pearl jam fans could that bring the show down?

My main worry is that at the Hawaii gig there will be loads of U2 fans (maybe even the same amount as Pearl Jam fans?) and the gig will lack that atmosphere that only Pearl Jam fans can bring. Singing along to all the songs, loving every minute...if the audience has even a few unhappy-with-Pearl Jam U2 fans could that bring the show down?

I've been a huge PJ fan since '91, I haven't posted in the PJ board in a while, but I'm in the 10 Club and I've seen PJ many times including the mother land (Seattle). PJ fans (and some U2 fans actually) are kinda lame, this show is going to be awesome, who gives a crap if PJ opens or if U2 will play a short set. It's a rock show dammit.

You have to remember most of the Hawaii tickets were sold BEFORE Pearl Jam was even announced as the opener. Sure some people sold their tickets back but from what I gather most of the U2 fans held onto their tickets. It will primarily be a U2 crowd. Its U2's stage, the show was them before PJ was added. Its primarily a U2 show with a special guest is how I see it.

KUEFC09U2 said:
when bono came on stage to do rockin in the free world, the PJ fans seemed to go nuts, my point being if they really hated them that much, why go nuts like that?

They DID go nuts!! I was at that show and when Bono took the stage everyone seemed to love it.

The hardcore fans who post on the PJ boards sound no different than some of those on this forum who bashed the Kanye West announcement.

In the end there will be more U2 fans than PJ fans and a lot of overlap between the two bands. The atomosphere will be just fine.

Oh its all so funny...

"If you strip away the hype,self promotion,egotistical posturing and concentrate solely on musical and heartfelt songwriting talent and quality of live performance, PJ are quite simply superior IMO"

"PJ are better musicians comfortably,EV is a better vocalist(10 times more versatile)"

HAHA!! Love it...nothing better than Eddie's faulsetto :huh:

This is good tho...

"And if you do know anything about music, and you are an objective fan, you would realize and know that U2 has brought a hell of a lot more to the musical landscape over their time than Pearl Jam has and that each member of U2 is a superior musician or songwriter to the respective Pearl Jam member. Yea, Mike is a great guitarist, but there are 100 other guys who play just llike him. What new sound or technique has he brought? He basically just rehashes old 70s and 80s guitar solos from every rock band you've heard. That's not anything extraordinary.

You can be devoted Pearl Jam fans, but that doesn't mean you have to be a fucking idiot."

u2 and pearl jam are both great bands with brillant talented musicians. Being a fan of both bands, I could go on and on about the great qualities of both and compare and contrast them, but I don't want to bore anybody. I will say that whoever said this:

"Mike is a great guitarist, but there are 100 other guys who play just llike him. What new sound or technique has he brought? He basically just rehashes old 70s and 80s guitar solos from every rock band you've heard. That's not anything extraordinary"

is an idiot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom