official bootlegs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tennispunk

Acrobat
Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad
Anyone think there is a chance of U2 releasing official bootlegs after the tour is over?

Pearl Jam does this and I think it's fabulous--you can get all of them (and I know people who have all 72 from the Binaural tour) or just the shows you were at. Plus it allows you to have on record stuff they only do in concert, like when Pearl Jam finished "daughter" with a dead moon cover.

perhaps we should start lobbying.... :)

Reggie Thee Dog said:
There is talk that iTunes will be offering U2 concerts shortly after each concert has finished. No official word yet.

I was sold on the U2 ipod when they announced it, but this bit of news after the fact really has me excited. I am hoping apple/itunes work out something with the tour that enables itunes to sell soundboards of shows within a week of the shows already played.

Bono mentioned in the Newsweek interview that fans would be able to download their shows the day after the show on the upcoming tour. Not official, and Bono has said things before that dont transpire. But its encouraging and with the Ipod deal it just makes sense. I just hope they offer a CD purchase option also like most artists do that offer their shows.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this earlier - is it going to mean that unofficial bootlegs will become 'illegal', and will not be allowed to be circulated?
I sincerely hope not... i'm a complete bootleg whore, and while I think the selling of them through ITunes is a great idea (soundboard quality for each show, hopefully), i'd still like to know i'd be able to get hold of homemade bootelgs without breaking the law.

beau2ifulday said:
I was wondering about this earlier - is it going to mean that unofficial bootlegs will become 'illegal', and will not be allowed to be circulated?
I sincerely hope not... i'm a complete bootleg whore, and while I think the selling of them through ITunes is a great idea (soundboard quality for each show, hopefully), i'd still like to know i'd be able to get hold of homemade bootelgs without breaking the law.

Typically no, and I doubdt U2 would care about the audience stuff going around either, but interest in audience recordings diminishes drastically when official soundboard boots are available of the same show. I think some of the audience boots are great, but I would take a soundboard over just about any audience recording anyday. If there are soundboards available of each show I will be getting those. Forget the other stuff. Some will disagree but most fans would pick soundboards over an audience recording.

What is amazing to me is that I have read on other sites and groups that people are pissed if they do this???!!! If they offer a lossless format or a CD option its damn dream come true! Its mind boggling to me that people would not want soundboards of every show.

Dalton said:
Hey BlueRoom,

How can I get involved in trading U2 shows? I don't have a lot of bootleg stuff, but I would love to get my hands on some.

Dalton, get over to the Music On The Internet forum here - there are new shows going up there everyday.... i've downloaded about twenty shows from there over the last three weeks.

beau2ifulday said:

Dalton, get over to the Music On The Internet forum here - there are new shows going up there everyday.... i've downloaded about twenty shows from there over the last three weeks.

However, if you do that do not trade the download on CD to anyone. That is a sure fire way to get a bad rep trading with alot of the big time traders. Downloading MP3 stuff for your own personal enjoyment is fine, just dont trade them out.

If you want to get into big time trading with the best quality either do SHN/FLAC downloads or try to get some people to do some lossless CDR mail trades with you.

Get on some bittorrent sites, like easytree.org. There are often plenty of U2 shows in SHN/FLAC format. Another good place is DC++; visit www.u2bloodredskyhub.com and sign up for the hub. Lots of shows available there.

Sorry to veer off-course and into the realm of not-on-topicness :)wink:), but what exactly is "SHN/FLAC format?" I have less than no idea what we're talking about, here.... :shrug: :shrug:

tennispunk said:
Anyone think there is a chance of U2 releasing official bootlegs after the tour is over?

Pearl Jam does this and I think it's fabulous--you can get all of them (and I know people who have all 72 from the Binaural tour) or just the shows you were at. Plus it allows you to have on record stuff they only do in concert, like when Pearl Jam finished "daughter" with a dead moon cover.

I remember I was working in a music store when Pearl jam started releasing these. I thought the CD's were so cool in their little cardboard sleeves with the place and date "stamped" on them. I remember thinking, "Thank God U2 isn't doing this - I would be so friggin' broke!"

Of course, they just released an iPod instead. :slant:

tennispunk said:

Pearl Jam's way is IMO the ultimate way to deal with downloading of live shows.

Fans get good quality shows, people that prefer CDs over downloading and/or don't have Itunes won't get excluded plus the band gets a little something back from the fans.

Back
Top Bottom