March 3, 2009 NYC David Letterman Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovezeuser

The Fly
Just moved back to "real" Virginia...not the land
After 25 years, I finally met all four members of U2. I was so lucky to win tickets for the taping of the David Letterman show on March 4th. First, I met Bono when he arrived for the taping in the afternoon on Wednesday. We were in line for our tickets to the show and just missed the Edge and Adam. It was wonderful seeing Bono come out of the SUV and walk over to the crowd on U2 Way next to the theater. He was so kind and signed a copy of my U23 vinyl from 1979. It was so cold and the autograph hounds were quite annoying for all of us real fans. Brian knows the drill so well and warned the guys to move back. Later down the line, Brian actually grabs one of their papers and throws it in the snow.

We went to a cafe to warm up and wait for the show to tape. We met a lot of great people at the show that day. U2 fans are so generous. The show was awesome. We were lucky to get second row center at the Letterman show. The Letterman folks really emphasize that you clap and be really enthusiastic during the taping. The two folks next to me were warned to smile more because they had high profiles (tall). My face and hands hurt so much because I didn't want to lose my spot. My hubby was wearing a red jacket so we are really easy to pick out in the pics. Watching the band tape the Top Ten was very amusing. And, Crazy was wonderful. What an experience!

After the show, we hung out for about an hour but it was so cold. My feet were frozen even with 2 pairs of socks and leather boots. We went to the cafe to warm up again and resolved that we would go see Wicked on Broadway that evening. Leaving the cafe, I saw all the flashes going off near the theater. So, we went back over there. Bono was signing autographs again. Shortly after that Larry came out and went to the end of the line. He didn't sign anything,but he was so nice. He shook everyone's hands and said hello. Wonderful, deliberate direct eye contact and the softest hands you have ever felt. Adam and the Edge came out together. Both of them greeted me and signed my U23 vinyl. Edge made a comment about look at this oldie and I told him it was great! Duh, I just couldn't speak from the joy of meeting the lads and the cold.

My camera died from the cold when I met Adam. But, I did manage to get Bono, Larry, and the Edge. I also have video of everyone except Larry. My husband was the camera man and taped it all for me. He didn't even try to meet any of them and was so gracious even when I told Adam that he looked lovely on Letterman.

It was a wonderful day and one that I will never forget. It did get even better when we had dinner at a bar in the West Village. I was waiting for the bathroom on the 2nd floor, and Brian walked right past me followed by Bono. I could not believe it. So, close but so far. I didn't dare speak to him or even Brian. It was late and he was out with his mates. We finished our meals and I left there a very happy woman!

Thank you to all my fellow Plebans who posted their pics and stories. You helped my dream come true. I knew where to be and what time to expect the band. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now: I must figure out how to post a picture and a video. :hmm:

100_1796.jpg

I am so happy for you that you got to meet Bono and have your record signed. That record is priceless and I heard there were only a few made so to have all of them sign it is really special.

:applaud:

Awesome story. I wouldn't have said anything to him either if I saw him in the resturant

Back
Top Bottom