I'll Go Crazy if I don't Get Help with this Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
Okay, can anyone enlighten me as to what the hell the lyric content of "I'll Go Crazy" is describing/alluding to/referring to/drawing on/encapsulating?

I really have no idea. And this bothers me because i absolutely loathe this song. And the reason I loathe it (other than the U2 'paint-by-numbers' sound of the track and the embarrassing falsetto-squawks by Bono) is the lyrics.

I assume I am missing something?

I think I can say I have never strongly disliked a U2 song before. There have been seven or eight official releases that I thought were a bit boring or that I generally didn't enjoy much, but nothing that offended me. This song is so bad, however, that I find myself laughing at it every time it comes on.

What does the lyric mean? Anyone...?

Okay, can anyone enlighten me as to what the hell the lyric content of "I'll Go Crazy" is describing/alluding to/referring to/drawing on/encapsulating?

I really have no idea. And this bothers me because i absolutely loathe this song. And the reason I loathe it (other than the U2 'paint-by-numbers' sound of the track and the embarrassing falsetto-squawks by Bono) is the lyrics.

I assume I am missing something?

I think I can say I have never strongly disliked a U2 song before. There have been seven or eight official releases that I thought were a bit boring or that I generally didn't enjoy much, but nothing that offended me. This song is so bad, however, that I find myself laughing at it every time it comes on.

What does the lyric mean? Anyone...?

It means we have to stay positive in these harsh times and then they will go away.

(i'm sick of these types of songs. for a further explanation, look at the latest posts of mine in the "is U2 too optimstic" thread)

It means we have to stay positive in these harsh times and then they will go away.

yeah, i saw your comment on that thread and I have to say I agree with you. But as regards this particular song, I still don't really have any way into this lyric.

To be more specific: what does "I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight" mean in the context of the song?

I think it's about Obama.
the sweetest melody is the one we haven't heard (yet)
every generation gets a chance to change the world
it's not a hill, it's a mountain, when you start out the climb
All that makes sense - but then he sings "I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight" - I still can't make the chorus fit with the verses, so to speak.

I think it's to be heard as an apology to others (or to God) for not "staying the course" 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Bono is saying, I know there are problems in the world, I know I have a responsibility, and I know that there are no quick fixes. However, I've got to take a break, or I'm not going to make it. Please excuse me while I go back to being a rock star for a minute.

(i'm sick of these types of songs. for a further explanation, look at the latest posts of mine in the "is U2 too optimstic" thread)

I think you should go back and listen to the song again. And maybe step out of your own negativity for once.

And no, I don't hate the song, though I still think it's the weakest on the album.
Actually what I like most are the lyrics.

Don't you think that's kind of rude? The person simply asked a question about regarding the meaning of lyrics...in a forum used to discuss the meaning of lyrics.

you're right. it probably would have been better if he asked "do your eyes work?". :wink:

Okay, thanks for the three-or-so somewhat cohererent responses that addressed the question (I ignored the others). The majority-opinion seems to be that's it's a "Bono/Singer-addresses-himself-to-let-us-know-that-he-needs-to-lighten-up-sometimes" theme.

Maybe so. . . I dunno, I guess he's just celebrating the extremes of life ("beauties" and "idiots", etc.). Okay, it makes some sense to me now. But it's still kind of weird.

I think you should go back and listen to the song again. And maybe step out of your own negativity for once.

And no, I don't hate the song, though I still think it's the weakest on the album.
Actually what I like most are the lyrics.

I don't even think it's that bad a song. It's an enjoyable listen, and I think if it was on BOMB it would be one of the top 3 songs. But I don't think it's anything new, anything great. if anything, it's just more of the same. It's at worst EXACTLY what i'd expect from U2 at this stage in their career. I like it when they surprise me, like on MOS, Fez, White As Snow...

to me it's just a continuation of MOS and UC
where to go after you go have gone through personal problems and find yourself in a world as full of problems as you had

I don't think it is supposed to be the deepest song on the record
I love it
:up:

to me it's just a continuation of MOS and UC
where to go after you go have gone through personal problems and find yourself in a world as full of problems as you had

I don't think it is supposed to be the deepest song on the record
I love it
:up:

This has always been how I've viewed it. IE, as necessary in the flow of the album, and kind of the emotional-plot-like undercurrent that the songs have.

agree with others on here. to answer the direct question of the OP, the title lyric means to let go and lighten up a bit sometimes. go out and party every once in a while, otherwise you'll eventually pay the consequences of always being so tight. If you dont, you can end up being the character in Unknown Caller/MOS.

its the 5th song after MOS and UC for that exact reason. after those 2 songs you need to lighten it up. the music of the song, although U2 by numbers, is also simple for the same reason.

Look at it this way, the purpose and placement of that song is the opposite of Bullet the Blue Sky. BSB was #4 on the album and is out of place musically on the album compared to what leads up to it because it was meant to jar the listener into attention.

this song was a late addition meant to lighten things up when they realized the album would be a bit heavy for some people. This song, both musically and lyrically is meant to be simple and to give interest to the casual fan that just wants U2 by numbers.

Bono always talks about recording the perfect pop song for the 45 record and this is their attempt. If you let go of the fact that the song is cheese, and accept that U2 likes trying to make pop songs, you'll see it actually is a very good pop song and that u2 are still making better pop songs than most other songs on popular radio. I think it will be a massive single when its realized that will pull in anybody from the casual fan in their 40s to young kids.

I have to agree with the person above me. I like where it appears on the album, it fits. Also, if you take it as a pure pop song, it's brilliant imo, better than alot of stuff on the radio. I also think it's going to have longevity on the airwaves when/if they release it as a single, longer than Get On Your Boots or across more charts/stations than it anyways.

I do not agree with the interpretations so far. I think he's longing for change.
"I'll go crazy if I don't [do something] tonight."
1st verse is saying he's normally quiet, but he wants to speak out and tell us this.
2nd verse is just amazement that you didn't see it yourself. kind of a filler verse.
"A change of heart comes slow"
It will take time
"It's not a hill, it's a mountain"
same.

The 3rd verse is what clues me to thinking he's looking for change
from here, it's kind of clear methinks.

I actually love this song, but it could be because I personally take it as another song along the lines of Original of the Species... sort of for the new generation of fans... I don't know the exact interpretation - but surely that's what makes U2 songs clever, they allow for personal interpretations.

I see it being addressed to young Americans, UKers, any nation where we're all looking at the future and feeling a little insecure about it. It's a pop tune, and even more with the remixed live versions.

The pressures on you as a performer, a public figure, a teenager, etc and how sometimes you just need to go a little crazy on stage or out at night in order to prevent yourself going mad where it really matters (school, business, work... relationships)

"She's a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life
Knows I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight
There's a part of me in the chaos that's quiet
And there's a part of you that wants me to riot"

This is simple enough - it's about Bono and Ali, she's down to earth and pretty content with normality but understands that Bono isn't, and sometimes he needs to vent or do something about situations he sees. He's also speaking to us, the audience, saying - you wouldn't want me to sit back, you want me to riot!

"Everybody needs to cry or needs to spit
Every sweet tooth needs just a little hit
Every beauty needs to go out with an idiot
How can you stand next to the truth and not see it
Oh, a change of heart comes slow"

Again, it's quite easy to understand that he's simply listing what fires people up to do something, to make a change. The whole song is about empowering people, that it's normal to feel crazy and misunderstood, or going against the tide...

"It's not a hill, it's a mountain
As you start out the climb
Do you believe me or are you doubting
We're gonna make it all the way to the light
But I know I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight"

Self explanatory I imagine. Give him the trust, that although the task looks impossible it's not. Join him in going crazy, make a crazy decision, go with the dream and madness, otherwise it's a different sort of crazy, a dangerous sort.

The rest is in the same vein. And he's also saying that the losing yourself in a moment, the craziness of the song and performing - appearing ridiculous, means a lot to him - he's not the severe faced boring political preacher that everyone presents him as. And that everyone else should be content at also appearing ridiculous.

So yeah, simple Pop, upbeat song. Written just so a singer could go a little crazy and let his hair down :hmm::D

Or at least that's how this fan likes to take it - not too seriously!:cute:

Back
Top Bottom