Has love transformed me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Note: The following pertains personal inquiries, questions and comments. Some about my significant other, and myself. If you are here to criticize, then press the 'back' button.

You know a few of my threads, and they sound mainly depressing and controlling. However, that isn't the factor. My GF sat me down at one point and told me her past, and I was horrified. I had never heard of a past that was as horrible as that. I don't think of my past as glamourous, but certainly better than what she was raised in.

Since she told me that, I became on the offensive, and started to screen and question certain things. All I knew is that I wanted to protect her from getting hurt, and no expense, mainly pacifist, but should it get deeper -- my own self would be the defender.

She told me in late October, and since then I haven't been able to get rid of it all from my brain. Chunks of words and images constantly sprew in my brain, and I'm haunted. I've told her that I never should have asked, yet she decided to tell me -- perhaps it was because of true love and security -- not that of jealousy, or ego.

I found myself with a lot of obstacles, and still find them laid out infront of me. Sometimes hidden ones, and I know there are ahead of me. And what's the hardest part for me is how I'll deal with all this. Perhaps I'm so concentrated on making my own little world, inside of a bubble, that I'm forgetting that we're going to make a life together.

So what do I do -- did my life become changed because she told me about her past, or was it for the feelings that I had for her later that made me want to help her? I'm evaluating what I do now, and perhaps I took her away from living life -- and only tried to play it safe. But in the end, I was only keeping myself safe and not thinking of her.

I think you have to ask yourself, what do you really want?

You have judged, manipulated, and lied...

What do you expect from your signifigant other?

You also need to ask someone trained, dude. Not someone on interference. Dont get me wrong, the people here are good for the most part, but you need to talk to someone who knows how to address your baggage and steer you in managing all this. You really cant get useful help on a U2 forum based on mere posts. You need to sit down with someone for a good few hours and nut out what is in your head.

Angela Harlem said:
You also need to ask someone trained, dude. Not someone on interference. Dont get me wrong, the people here are good for the most part, but you need to talk to someone who knows how to address your baggage and steer you in managing all this. You really cant get useful help on a U2 forum based on mere posts. You need to sit down with someone for a good few hours and nut out what is in your head.

^ :yes:

What is the big deal about her past? You mention that she slept with one guy, smokes and has a bad family. So what? Maybe there is a lot more you are not telling us. If so, that is fine, you don't have to tell us, but you can't expect us to be sympathetic based on what you have told us. Has she actually done horrible things (killed someone, ran a crack lab, mutilated puppies) or was she so traumaticized by her family that she can't function well today? If not, then I really don't know what the problem is.

As others have mentioned, maybe you should talk to a professional. Or if her past really is that bad (well beyond what you have told us), maybe she should see a professional.

As others have said, you should really seek help from a professional rather than starting numerous threads here asking for advice. You really need to get over what is in the past because you can't fix it or control it and if you think about it that much it's only going to cause problems. You also can't hold things someone did before they met you against them.

Also, if you like sharing so much about your relationship on the internet, that's fine but don't you think you should show your girlfriend a bit more respect than telling complete strangers about her past, sex life and family life. These threads even begin to make me uncomfortable. :slant:

Lara Mullen said:
As others have said, you should really seek help from a professional rather than starting numerous threads here asking for advice. You really need to get over what is in the past because you can't fix it or control it and if you think about it that much it's only going to cause problems. You also can't hold things someone did before they met you against them.

Also, if you like sharing so much about your relationship on the internet, that's fine but don't you think you should show your girlfriend a bit more respect than telling complete strangers about her past, sex life and family life. These threads even begin to make me uncomfortable. :slant:

Very well said :yes: And no offense but I would feel really uncomfortable if I found out my bf had been posting pretty personal things about me on the internet.

BonosBaby12 said:

Very well said :yes: And no offense but I would feel really uncomfortable if I found out my bf had been posting pretty personal things about me on the internet.

I have to say I would be mad if it was me. I don't like it when people I know think they can ask me certain questions about my relationship.
I'm sure you mean well, theu2fly but maybe you should wonder about how your girlfriend would like it if she knew how many threads you have spilling out all sorts of information about things she shared with you in private. It's hypocritical to suggest that her family or past could somehow harm your relationship now when you're telling all and sundry private things here on a daily basis.

Seriously, you really have to start listening to the advice people give you here or stop asking for any if you're going to get annoyed by people being honest and think they're fighting with you.

Also, if love has transformed me in any way I hope it's made me a better person and that I can say that I have added to someones life not "stopped them from living it". Everyone has a past and every day we make mistakes but when you love someone you accept things - even the grizzly bits you wish you didn't have to hear about. I try very hard every day to be a better person and focus on fixing my flaws, it's much better than focusing on things that you think are wrong with somebody else.

Last edited:
:up:

life tends to be a lot easier when you focus on being a better person yoruself instead of focussing on your own or someone else's bad bits

if love doesn't have positive effects on you that outshine the negative ones then something seems awry

martha said:
He never shows up in these threads anymore once he starts them. :tsk:

what's up with that? I wonder if he even reads them?

theu2fly, let us at least know that you're reading these threads by posting something! What's the point in posting if you're not going to respond to the feedback?

I'll keep it short since I doubt if you're even reading this anymore...

Love hasn't transformed you at all, it's nothing to do with her. For whatever reason you seem to approach a relationship in an extremely controlling manner. Most likely you can blame it on your "perfect" parents or something. Yeah it's a bad habit, but it doesn't make you the anti-christ, you can overcome it.

So what you need to do is stop making all these threads that are still focused on her really, and see a professional to work through YOUR issues, so that YOU don't ruin anything you might have in your relationship.

I'm reading... just thinking about it all I can't think of a good response...

Back
Top Bottom