Free Falling, Chapter 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Effanbee

The Fly
Free Falling
Chapter 7

Dawn came with a gentler light, a Turner sky. Wrapped in Bono’s jacket, which had kept me warm through the long night, I went to visit the horses. They stood with the early ground-mist curling around their legs, glad to see me as always. No sound from the sleeping house, so I saddled Jack and took him into the home paddock for some exercise.

The mist rose around us as the earth warmed up. Like riding a sky-horse through the clouds, I thought. Hoof beats muffled in waltz-time canter, counting 1-2-3 as my horse and I danced in the morning light. Tears again, not exactly sad, just because it was so special and rare.

On the shadowed front deck sat Edge, drinking tea. ‘That was so beautiful,’ he said. ‘If I were a painter …’

I smiled shyly at Edge. ‘I didn’t know anyone was watching. I thought everyone would still be asleep.’ I poured myself a cup of tea.

‘I can see why you captivate Bono,’ Edge said. ‘You are so very different to the people we know.’ He sipped his tea, watching the last of the ground-mist burning off. ‘I’d like to think we can still be friends, despite the hard time we gave you yesterday,’ he said awkwardly, blushing a bit.

My eyes wanted to start leaking again. ‘It needed to be said. It could have been a lot worse. Are you and Bono on speaking terms again?’

‘Oh, yes,’ said Edge. ‘We’re OK, Roo. It’s not the first time we’ve come to blows. He can be the most exasperating, perverse bastard sometimes, occasionally he winds me up a bit too far. I fell so bad about it afterwards but we always forgive each other. It’s like being married, sometimes, but without all the fun bits, y’know.’

‘It’s very special, what you four have. I don’t think anyone on the outside could come between you,’ I said thoughtfully.

‘We have a great life,’ said Edge. ‘Eventually we’ll have to retire, I suppose. We don’t want to be one of those bands who are practically wheeled onstage.’

I smiled at the mental image that produced. We sat quietly, finishing our tea.
‘I’m going for a spa now, Edge. Sleeping under the stars is nice, but my bones aren’t getting any younger and sometimes they let me know.’

‘You have a spa now? They’re great, aren’t they.’

‘Yes, thanks to my book. I had one built in the back garden. Bono loves it, I have to prise him out with a crowbar or he’d stay in it all day.’

Edge laughed. ‘Yes, he’s good at that. Then he goes around complaining he’s gone all wrinkly, like a prune.’

My spa was open to the sky, surrounded by Nikau palms. Lying back in the hot water I thought about the day to come and wondered what it would bring.

It brought Bono, with a large bowl of fruit and bread. ‘Edge told me you were here,’ he said. ‘I thought you might be hungry, you missed dinner last night.’

‘Now you mention it, I’m starving,’ I said.

‘May I join you?’

‘You may.’

We sat opposite each other, sharing the food. I cut a mango in half and laughed as the juice ran out over my hands. ‘This is the only way to eat mangoes, they’re so damn messy,’ I said, handing half to Bono. ‘Oh, cherries too. I could live on them.’

Bono laughed at me in his gentle way. ‘Edge said you’d already been riding this morning. He got quite lyrical about it.’

‘It was magical, Bono. The mist and the sky …’ I prattled on, forgetting our troubles for a while.

‘Let’s stay in here all day,’ suggested Bono lazily.

‘I might. But you probably need to be doing all sorts of important things.’

‘Bollocks to it,’ said Bono.

‘Really Bono! If you’re going to start swearing I may have to drown you.’

‘I love it when you talk posh,’ laughed Bono. ‘Come here, Roo. I missed you last night.’ He moved round to sit beside me, gazing soulfully into my eyes. ‘I missed being woken up by your colossal snoring.’

‘You have one huge case of the rudes this morning,’ I told him, giving him a shove. ‘It’s you that snores.’

‘Do not.’ Bono leaned forwards to kiss me. ‘Truly, I did miss you …’

‘Bono, where are you?’ came the dulcet tones of Mr Mullen.

‘Jeez, it’s the Witchfinder General,’ I muttered. ‘Better get going, big guy.’

‘Shit.’

‘Go on, I’ll see you later.’

I spent the morning finishing chores and making an elaborate lunch. I set it all out on the front deck, decorating the table with hibiscus and camellia blossoms, trying to atone for not providing dinner the previous night.

The band talks carried on in the dining room, sounding less volatile. There was even an occasional burst of laughter, and when they emerged for lunch everyone looked a lot more relaxed.

Adam’s eyes lit up when he came out to the deck. ‘I must have died and gone to heaven,’ he said.

Bono bounced over to give me a big hug, ignoring Larry’s disapproving frown. Bono picked up a white camellia and stuck it in Edge’s beanie.

Even Larry thawed a little under the influence of all the good food. Bono was at his most animated and charming, Edge injecting the conversation with shots of dry humour.

Simple pleasures of food, drink and good company. How easy it is to take them for granted. My mobile beeped in the middle of an amusing Adam story and I fished it out of my pocket impatiently.

‘Roo, it’s Phil Jackson.’

‘Phil, what can I do for you?’ Phil, my old flying instructor, sounded harried and shocked.

‘There’s been an earthquake, Roo, out on the East Coast. It’s a Code 1 Civil Defence. You’re on the MOD pilots list, we need all the flyers we can get.’

I felt the blood draining from my face. ‘Give me instructions Phil.’ I ran to get pen and paper as Phil told me what I needed to do.

‘We need all the volunteers we can muster,’ he said. ‘This is a big one, Roo. The aftershocks are still going on.’

‘I’m on to it, see you later Phil.’ I raced back to the deck, where all conversation had stopped.

‘I’m going to have to leave you, guys,’ I said. ‘We’ve had a big earthquake out East and they need all the help they can get.’ I ran back to gather up the emergency pack I kept in the hall cupboard. The band followed me.

‘Is there anything we can do?’ asked Bono.

‘We need volunteers, but it’ll be dangerous, dirty work,’ I told him. ‘The area is very unstable, the roads are out and communication is down. There have been fatalities, we don’t know how many …’

The band looked at each other. ‘We’ll help,’ said Larry. ‘What do we need to take?’

I threw some spare packs to Larry. ‘Essentials only. As much water as you can carry. And hurry, there’s no time to waste. Wear strong boots if you have them …’

By the time I’d loaded the Landrover everyone was ready. ‘Larry, can you drive? I need to make some calls. We must get to the airfield, soon as.’

I called Janey to make arrangements for looking after Sweetwaters, and several other pilots to give them the news. Larry drove fast and expertly and I was grateful for his skills.

‘I don’t know what we’ll find when we get there,’ I said. ‘I guess we’ll go where we’re most needed …’ I realised, belatedly, I was placing them all in danger. ‘I don’t want any of you getting hurt. Are you sure about this?’

‘100%,’ said Edge immediately. Everyone else murmured agreement.

Larry got us to the airfield very quickly and we ran to the hanger, crowded with pilots and mechanics gearing up to fly out.

I was allocated a 6-seater aircraft which handled like a flying pig on take-off and landing, but it was a tough old workhorse and we were soon heading east. I handed Edge a headset so that he could monitor radio reports and gave everyone ID tags to fill in.

‘Pin them on your clothes somewhere, they’re essential if anything happens and you need to be identified. Do mine for me, Bono, can you?’

The seriousness of the situation was sinking in to us all. Bono looked pale as he filled out my ID and clipped it onto my shirt with hands that shook very slightly.
‘Have you done this before, Roo?’ he asked.

‘No. We have small tremors all the time in New Zealand, mostly from the top of the South Island up through the central North Island and out east. This may well be the biggest since Napier in the ’30s when most of the town was taken out.

I explained how New Zealand lay on top of two tectonic plates that were sliding over each other, how unstable our beautiful country was beneath the surface.

Edge removed the headset. ‘Latest report says the earthquake was centered offshore. There’s a lot of wave damage up the coastline, but the worst affected area is a small settlement called Matangi. The population was about 700 and it’s been virtually flattened.’

I put my hand over Bono’s suddenly very afraid of what we would be faced with.

:ohmy: Wow, I certainly didn't see that coming! Excellent, Effanbee. :up:
You are such a talented writer!
this part:
"The mist rose around us as the earth warmed up. Like riding a sky-horse through the clouds, I thought. Hoof beats muffled in waltz-time canter, counting 1-2-3 as my horse and I danced in the morning light. Tears again, not exactly sad, just because it was so special and rare."
:love: wow. just...wow.

So, this has taken an unexpected turn.. I wonder what you've got in store for our boys then? Y'know, I really wouldn't mind being 'rescued' by Bono...:drool: :drool: but with my luck it'd probably be a bloody great St Bernards dog that came to my rescue..oh well...:evil:

Anyway, another fine chap. :bow:

Hurry Effanbee!! TYPE TYPE!!!!! Or there really will be a national disaster!! Gluey WILL self combust with the anticipation, and that would be messy!!!! Mind you, would Roo bring the boys to scrape me up off the ground??:giggle:

Back
Top Bottom