Edge on Love and Peace or Else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
This probably has been discussed before, as I'm too lazy to search the threads, but I was curious to know if in the live setting Edge is singing?

More specifically, while listening to the studio version, during the following phrases I hear a low voice against Bono's. Now it could be his, like he often does in recording.

"I don't know if I can take it"

"Here's my heart, I'll let you break it."

So, again, does Edge sing during this song when it's live?

Thanks

It's Bono double-tracked, if memory serves Edge doesn't sing on Love and Peace live.

The Edge does sing, but only during the intro for the "angelic" voice over (just as the bass and organ intro are playing). Bono and Larry share the "Release" chorus, and Bono, alone, does the "love and peace" part. No double-track to my knowledge and ears. :wink:

Edge does NOT sing in "love and peace or else"...he emultes it, as he does in the chorus of "beautiful day" or "Vertigo". He stands in front of the micro in the intro of the song, but he doesn't sing... later he goes (in the European Tour) to the catwalk with Adam as Bono and Larry are in the other one.

www.todoU2.tk

Trust me, he does sing. The bootlegs prove that his harmonies are included in the intro section of LAPOE.

Editted to say... On COBL, Bono does not sing the woo-hoo's alone. He is singing along to a backing track. Singing along to a backing track is exactly what The Edge does for the intro of LAPOE. That is why it sounds different for each bootleg.

Last edited:
surley if they were singing to a backing track, it would sound the same on every boot and not different?

the intro to Love and Peace is 100% backing track. Edge doesn't sing. he ususally does this thing where he slides his hand up and down the strings to make this scratchy sound -- i doubt he does that and sings at the same time.

discothequeLP said:
the intro to Love and Peace is 100% backing track. Edge doesn't sing. he ususally does this thing where he slides his hand up and down the strings to make this scratchy sound -- i doubt he does that and sings at the same time.

For the Twick shows that I went to, The Edge is right at the microphone and his mouth is moving for the intro for LAPOE. The Edge is not singing the falsetto section, rather he is singing in a lower key along with the intro backing track. It's possible he did not do this for all first leg shows. Speaking of LAPOE, Larry is not playing all the drum parts either.

The Edge uses the backing track vocals on many songs, including Vertigo and Beautiful Day. During Beautiful Day, however, The Edge is country miles away from the microphone. As to singing and playing the guitar at same time... come on! :wink: The Edge has made a career out of that! :)

KUEF, we've already had the discussion regarding COBL. It's a done deal that Bono is singing along with a backing track, because concert video establishes that The Edge does not support Bono during the woo-hoo's on COBL. The video does not lie. However, because Bono is also singing along with the woo-hoo backing track, each bootleg sounds different.

This is NOT a criticism. U2 uses vocal backing tracks to add color to the music. Accept this wee lil fact, and ye shall be better off in life! :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom