Dazz's U2/IO>30th Anniversary of Discovering U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
For better :happy: or "worse" :uhoh: LOL
~ it's been 30 years since I discovered :heart: U2 !!!!!

(i know, i know a bunch of you know this story already)

There I was somewhen between late Oct to early Dec 1980 (tho maybe in Nov) reading the then latest issue of New York Rocker magazine one of 2 seminal locally created magazines covering the CBCG's scene: at first, and tracked the bands that emerged from there (and their travels) & the influences they had as they speard across the Tri-State <NY, NJ, Con> Region, Westard across the rest of The USA, AND Eastward to Britain , Europe etc !!!
(they published bi-monthly so this probably was their Nov/Dec issue which I don't have anymore)

I get to the back of the issue where recordings and live concerts were reviewed. Andy (the 2nd of 2 Editors, [RIP the prescient Alan Betrock] ) Schwartz had gone over to Britain earler on to check new (and new to us) bands out.

I had already seen a lot of performers/bands live; including a bunch of times already IM <and others> HO some of the best bands musically and concert-wse in the world ever> such as The Who, Bruce & The E Street Band, Televsion, C,S,N&Y, The Roling Stones !

This relatively short concert review caught my eye - "U2 at The _______ " egads! I've suddenly forgotten the name- it's a very famous club- The Who played there early on!
I believe, but not sure he caught them at their first run at this place.

The sentances that caught my eye were thus (approxiamately): this band connects with the audience. They are anthemic, and quite ambitious. If they can keep going (avoid the pitfalls of new bands) they could make it to Stadium level.

This description captured my interest. An interview was done the next morning with the whole band, BUT was not printed until Apri/May of 1981!
It further drew me in more to what U2 were about.

Coupled with the IWF/OOC single (of which I still have my 7 inch Vinyl copy) - cemented my interest, with only my :grumpy: wait of 2-3 more years to see them live {they were here at a few clubs in '81 I regularly visited , but somehow I didn't catch any ads in the alternative paper} ; a bit of rehearshal in summer 83, and finally a full Amnesty Benefit at Radio City Music Hall in late 1984 to seal the deal for good!

It's been an incredible ride so far and YAY for it continuing for as long as they are happy creating & playing!

(an it's been wonderful to share the last--actaully , oh, right; it's my :hyper: *7th anniversary* here as well >Dec 2003< as an active member/poster LOL almost forget that -- my fandom with/in Interland esp with Mah Grrls (and the very fun Wayne, Simon, E_O & Carlos-- and what ever happen to TRE? :( )

:wave: :happy::heart::happy: :wave:

how very nice as I just finished this post my local very good rock station not only is playing Bad also excerted some intro or something of "these four men changing R&R " (crowd roar!!!) - or something like that! ( the extra stuff was unexpected!)

Ooooooooh, yeaaaah! :yippie:

Woohoo! Congratulations on 30 years of U2 love :D! I'm always so fascinated by the stories of those who were fans from the start, as well as slightly envious. I can only imagine what it must've been like watching the band literally grow up and become big right before your eyes.

"I Will Follow" is what first got my dad's attention, too :). I love that you still have the vinyl of that single, that is so cool-what a rarity! And yay for finally getting to see them a few years later, too. So what's your personal favorite album and song? How many times have you seen them, and if it's more than once, which was the best show?

Also, congrats on 7 years here at Interference as well! Hopefully you've had a good time here, I've certainly enjoyed getting to know you :hug:. Here's to more years of U2 love and talk, as well as chatting about god knows what else :D.

Angela

Aww, what a story :cute: Did you expect that U2 will be one of the most famous bands ever? :)

I wish you another 30 years of being a U2 fan :hug:

Aw, my 30th anniversary was in October! :) :hug:

When I went to college in '85, I was gone a week and my mom gave away all my U2 albums, saying, "Well you didn't take them so I didn't think you wanted them." Hello, I was moving into a dorm room the size of a postage stamp, I wasn't sure what I could fit in there! I was fine with her getting rid of all the clothes I didn't take, and turning my room into a guest room in a matter of days, but those records were sacred! Needless to say she's still not forgiven.:angry:

Happy anniversary!

Wow, congratulations. I discovered U2 in 1983 thanks to a little radio station called WBCN (which is no longer - damn you sports radio). They played 'Surrender' and I was in love. My true passion started in 1986-87. I can say they've been a constant in my life since then.

For better :happy: or "worse" :uhoh: LOL
~ it's been 30 years since I discovered :heart: U2 !!!!!

(i know, i know a bunch of you know this story already)
I'm glad you shared it with us, I don't remember hearing it before! :up:

(an it's been wonderful to share the last--actaully , oh, right; it's my :hyper: *7th anniversary* here as well >Dec 2003< as an active member/poster LOL almost forget that -- my fandom with/in Interland esp with Mah Grrls (and the very fun Wayne, Simon, E_O & Carlos-- and what ever happen to TRE? :( )

You little sweet talker you!:wink:
Happy U2/Interland anniversaries, dazz! :) :hug:

Aww, what a story :cute: Did you expect that U2 will be one of the most famous bands ever? :)

I wish you another 30 years of being a U2 fan :hug:

thanks!
I trusted that editor's opinion and and just about each album was getting brtter and better with songs I loved I wanted them to be as big as they could be!

and bevause i had seen other unkown really outside of Britain/NYC ( the WHo) or NYC/NJ area (SPringsteen-E ST) or CBGB's go to fame & even Supoerfame this was not a new exoerpeience for me & my friends! But exciting it was!

What a lucky woman!
I discovered a little later, in 1984:hyper:
:wave:
84 that's pretty way back!:applaud:

Happy Anniversary! My discovery date is 1980.

Hi JCOS! :hug: another 30th Anniv here!
:applaud: how didyou find out about them?!?

Happy Anniversary to you! :hyper::weekend::happydance:

The venue U2 played that you couldn't remember the name of well I'm not sure this is even correct but I'd like to take a guess. Was it the Marquee?

thanks and......
Yes! I remembered as I was correcting typos etc after i posted my thread but was having such wifi signal problerms I couldn't get back in .

Wow, congratulations. I discovered U2 in 1983 thanks to a little radio station called WBCN (which is no longer - damn you sports radio). They played 'Surrender' and I was in love. My true passion started in 1986-87. I can say they've been a constant in my life since then.

Very cool! :applaud:
Those WBCN call le tters sound very familliar!! hmmmmm
A radio sation of NJ, Bostion or Philly by any chance?
Surtrender!Hooo boy what a song!

I'm glad you shared it with us, I don't remember hearing it before! : up:

You little sweet talker you!:wink:
Happy U2/Interland anniversaries, dazz! :) :hug:

thanks! :wave:

and credit is due to all the nice guys who are willing to brave PLEBA & The PGP!:D :applaud:

I've been meaning to post in here for a while, but finally remembered... :reject:

Congrats on your 30 years of fandom, Dazz! (And Mot and JCoster and others!) That's a pretty remarkable milestone for sure... I only hopped on the bandwagon 11 or 12 years ago. :lol:

May there be many more years of U2 enjoyment ahead! :D :hug:

Back
Top Bottom