Confirmed: Kanye West Opening for U2 -- U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Confirmed: Kanye West Opening for U2

Rapper Kanye West is set to play four dates with U2 in December.

The Grammy Winning producer and rapper from Chicago, whose most recent release is 'Late Registration', is set to perform with U2 in St Louis (December 14th), Omaha (December 15th), Salt Lake City (December 17th) and Portland (December 19th).

At the Grammy Awards in February, Kanye won Best Rap Album for his album 'The College Dropout' and Best Rap Song for his single 'Jesus Walks'.

--U2.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when "Rage Against the Machine" opened for U2 during the "PopMart" tour here in SLC....and my 1st reaction was "too bad".

But....I was surprised how GOOD the Rage set was...and hopefully I will be surprised by Kanye, as well.

If anything at all, I know I already like his politics.
Here's hoping for a great set from Kanye...I have faith that the band know what they are doing :)

I guess I am one of the few Kanye and U2 fans, I am really excited that I get to see them both in St. Louis!

Carek1230 said:
I think I will be in the beer and bathroom line during the opening act.

By doing that you'd miss a great set. 'Ye is the man. Has delivered 2 classic albums in 2 attempts. Guy kicks ass.

Bad Fit

Sorry, I'm going to cut the P.C. routine. In my opinion, rap as a genre is just plain awful and always has been. Everyone's entitled to listen to what they want, but why ruin a perfectly good ROCK concert with this fella's drivel? Then again, I'm stuck with Damian Marley out here in Philly, just after Keane drops off the tour. D'oh!

ftwtaz632tld said:
I guess I am one of the few Kanye and U2 fans, I am really excited that I get to see them both in St. Louis!

Hey, I'll be another u2 Kanye fan at STL. Already saw U2 in Chicago 9/21 and I'm planning on seeing Kanye solo in Chi or Memphis so when I heard the announcement that u2 tapped Kanye to open, I had to be there. Plus U2 is awesome live, the 9/21 concert was the craziest show I have ever been to, I thought about going to the detroit concerts but I decided to wait.... g.o.o.d. THING.

call me a convert 2, I've liked u2 before H2DAAB, but H2DAAB was the first u2 cd I've bought... guess y'all old folks can say I've grown up a little, seeing as 22 is grown up and all....

griffey123 said:

By doing that you'd miss a great set. 'Ye is the man. Has delivered 2 classic albums in 2 attempts. Guy kicks ass.

I'll take your word for it, still I can only listen to him for a few minutes and I've had enough. So, I'll be in the beer or bathroom line like I said. Still, he's better than KOL! :wink:

I have mixed feelings about Kanye West opening the show we'll be seeing (STL). On one hand, I'm not a big rap fan (or even a little rap fan, truth be told). I mean, I can handle it in small doses, but that's the key...small doses. However, my wife, who'll be going with me, observantly pointed out that sometimes in the right circumstance, something you're not used to can surprise you. And in a concert setting, especially, that context can play a huge role in one's enjoyment. Given the fact that we'll be a part of GA Floor environment, I can imagine this being a factor in perhaps helping me enjoy it. Heck, back when I was 15 my mom dragged me to a couple country shows in Branson (this was 1980, before Branson was what it is today) and I gotta' say it was a real blast. So I'm hoping for a similar surprise here in a month and a half.

::fingers crossed::

SG

with all the opening acts on the tour, I was super dissapointed that Kanye was chosen as the opening act in portland..

MaximaBella said:
with all the opening acts on the tour, I was super dissapointed that Kanye was chosen as the opening act in portland..

I feel your pain and can relate. It is going to be interesting to see how many people are in the GA and in their seats during Kanye's performance. My guess is that it is going to be a repeat of the clowns of leon.

Kanye was ok. I just want to publicly post that I was in my seat and listened to his entire show. I enjoyed the ladies playing the instrumentals much better than I did Kanye. I understand Bono's interest in the bright, out-spoken rebellious young man, however there was really only one or two songs I enjoyed, the rest of it was all just loud noise as far as I was concerned. I tried to enjoy it. It wasn't as bad as I thought. :ohmy:

I thought he was pretty good. Rap isn't my thing, but he seemed to have stage presence, and I give him props for going out in front of such a different audience. There was also some 'genius' who had an anti Kanye sign they were waving when he went out on the elipse(something like 'why do you hate white people, Kanye?'), and I can only guess from Bono's seemingly effusive praise of Kanye during their set that is wasn't unnoticed. I heard that U2 had a bad experience in Utah ages ago, and that kind of classless crap is what could keep them from coming back.

Kanye was great! I really enjoyed all of the opening acts I saw on this tour: KOL, Damien Marley and Kanye. I'm glad U2 don't feel that their opening acts have to fall within a narrowly defined genre of music. Give new things a chance, you never know, you might discover something great that you would have never expected to like...and if you don't well, no harm done!

I think he should just stick to music and keep his political opinoins to himself.
He's arrogant and thinks way!! too highly of himself and really isn't that talented.

He's rich and he'll never be taken seriously!! What the hell does he know about the real world??

His religious views have no place in the music industry.
Who wan't to hear about that anyway??

He think's he Jesus, for God's sake...

Oh wait we're talking about Kanye West, not Bono reviews aren't we...

Just sounded so familiar.. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom