Assistance/advice for the vision impaired.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Hi everyone,

With the tour announcement almost upon us, I am rather nervous about how I will attend shows and whether I will actually be able to see the band. I have extremely poor vision that prohibits me from driving (to give you an idea, what a normal person can see from six metres away, I can only see from one metre, and that's not even half the story about what's wrong with my eyes). I'm the person you see at sporting events who has to watch absolutely everything through binoculars - I couldn't even read the whiteboard at school from the front row with the naked eye. I have a hard time believing binoculars would be practical at a rock concert, though!

So is there any way for someone with my vision to secure seats within a reasonable distance of the stage, or am I stuck in with everyone else and have to hope for the best? What should I do to ensure I am as close as possible? Should I even bother considering GA or will I become lost in the crowd and not see anything? [I do prefer to be on the upper levels of stadiums at the sports but I have no idea if I would find the same position suitable at a U2 concert.]

Thanks for any help,
- André/Axver

I've got to be honest and say that I don't think GA would be suitable for you.

The crush and the way the crowd moves around would just make using binoculars impossible.

It might be worth you calling the arenas they're going to playat to see if they have any reserved seating for people like yourself..

Even if they don't, the rumours about the set design suggest there'll be plenty of decent seating, I sat for one show on the elevation tour, Although the overall atmosphere wasn't as good as GA, the view from seating couldn't be bettered

Yeah, I don't think I'd take binoculars, even if I had seating. It seems silly, like something far more appropriate for sport. And I guess a concert is much more about hearing than seeing.

What I'm thinking of doing is going GA for one show with a friend, just to experience it. We'll queue early in the hopes of getting close, and regardless of what happens, my friend can guide me around and make sure everything's alright. Otherwise, I'll probably do seating. The short timeframe between announcement and presale is a pain in the neck, especially because I'm in Australia (flying over for U2 and to catch up with friends) ... hopefully some of the people I know will be able to manage calling arenas on my behalf.

I usually take binoculars to concerts. I have for almost every concert I've been too. A good riser seat and a good pair of binoculars will put you onstage. I say get a seat, take your binoculars and have a great time! Get the kind with a neck strap so you can keep track of them when you gotta dance.

I say definately take the binoculars. Tons of people will have them. I've taken some and used them in the past myself.

Oh, binoculars aren't the silly idea I thought they were? Well, in that case, thanks martha and ramblin rose - I'll definitely be taking a pair.

Back
Top Bottom