"A Thanksgiving Prayer" by William S. Burroughs (ZooTV thought that never left me)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
"A Thanksgiving Prayer" by William S. Burroughs (ZooTV thought that never left me)

As an American, exhausted by the "culture wars", and sick of do-gooders trying to impose their thoughts and will on us in this particularly savage election season, I'm reminded of one of ZooTV's most poignant and lasting moments for me.

It is the poem (below) by William S. Burroughs that appeared on the ZooTV special (on FOX) years ago. The words are stunning enough standing alone, but they were particulary effective when they were read by Burroughs himself (as Running to Stand Still moved into Where the Streets Have No Name). He was an old man and read it like a grandfather (but an American grandfather who appeared just as disappointed and disillusioned as many of us do now).

My two favorite lines are about "decent church-goin' women" and "a country where nobody's allowed to mind their own business" (when that was the very ideal that gave birth to America in the first place). And by the way, I love my country.
Here it is:

A Thanksgiving Prayer
by William S. Burroughs

Thanks for the wild turkey and the passenger pigeons,
destined to be shit out through wholesome American guts.
Thanks for a continent to despoil and poison.
Thanks for Indians to provide a modicum of challenge and danger.
Thanks for vast herds of bison to kill and skin leaving the carcasses to rot.
Thanks for bounties on wolves and coyotes.
Thanks for the American dream, To vulgarize and to falsify until the bare lies shine through.
Thanks for the KKK.
For ******-killin' lawmen, feelin' their notches.
For decent church-goin' women, with their mean, pinched, bitter, evil faces.
Thanks for "Kill a Queer for Christ" stickers.
Thanks for laboratory AIDS.
Thanks for Prohibition and the war against drugs.
Thanks for a country where nobody's allowed to mind their own business.
Thanks for a nation of finks.
Yes, thanks for all the memories-- all right let's see your arms!
You always were a headache and you always were a bore.
Thanks for the last and greatest betrayal of the last and greatest of human dreams.

That's the most discusting thing I've ver heard.
:madspit: He makes it sound as if we're the worst people in the world. Other countries have blemishes, too, you know.

Rachel D. said:

:madspit: He makes it sound as if we're the worst people in the world. Other countries have blemishes, too, you know.

There's terrible shit everywhere, even where you like to think it isn't. Just because there's also good stuff doesn't mean we should ignore the bad. Otherwise progress becomes fairly difficult.

I like that poem because it's very powerful, and holds some truth.. but it doesn't really matter if i agree 100%

I'd like to hear that over the rtss-streets bridge. it would be quite.

I have a zoo tv tape where this poem is spoken by the man himself while the intro of Streets is playing. Haunting. :ohmy:

I always wanted to have all the words. Thanks Knuckle. :up:

Rachael I agree with you, this is disgusting and it does single out America as if it's worse than others. America cops the blame in this poem, but I always get the impression when watching it on that video, that it's being used by U2 as an explanation perhaps.
It follows Running to Stand Still, where Bono has just pretented to inject heroin into his arm. This is such an emotional part of the show, especially knowing how real that song is to Bono. Then this poem infiltrates, only just above the keyboards, and sort of explains, or affirms what Running is about. But, in typical U2 fashion it leads stright into Streets, a song about heaven, hope, love etc. There is darkness, but there is the light too, and this poem works a treat to highlight that.
If you haven't seen it on that ZOOTV special, get your hands on it, it's awesome!!!

saltwaterkiss26 said:

The only part I agree with - but agree with all my heart.

I must misunderstand your reply. Do you mean that you agree "with all your heart" that "Kill a queer for Christ" stickers are a good thing?

Just wanted to say that I've loved that poem since I was 15... it is a breath-takingly powerful poem and it is still affecting.

Ant.

offensive things are not necessarily bad. they can be an incredibly powerful artistic tool and social commentary

Anthony said:
Just wanted to say that I've loved that poem since I was 15... it is a breath-takingly powerful poem and it is still affecting.

Ant.

Me too, it's very powerful.

Knuckle said:

I must misunderstand your reply. Do you mean that you agree "with all your heart" that "Kill a queer for Christ" stickers are a good thing?

Mmmm.. I certainly hope not.. that's the way I read it too.

This poem isn't exactly high on the feel-good factor. It is in some ways testament to the power of negative thinking.

At the same time though I can't help but relate to some of it, especially the "decent church going women with pinched faces..."

It reminds me of the Wanderer off Zooropa where Johnny Cash sings:
"I stopped outside a church house
Where the citizens like to sit
They say they want the kingdom
But they don't want God in it"

And also springing to mind is a quote Bono likes to use a lot recently from an Irish poet "the best way to serve the age is to betray it."

It's a very intreging poem that's putting the finger where the pain is. I'm not an American but following the us elections, and i'm feelin pitty for u amaricans. Lead by some guy who's lacking every moral thing in the world. That aint democracy (basically Bush isn't even chosen by the people). Get rid of that Carl Rove guy a.s.a.p. vote his puppet off! Americans are lied to, watching other peoples gardens but don't see the mess in their own backyard. And people who do are 'unpatriotic'. God it must be hell living there. I got that picture of u.s. people and it doesn't make me happy. So fake.
It's an old poem, but realy stood time. Nothing much changed.

Back
Top Bottom