(11-25-2003) Vicar Preaches U2 to the Masses -- BBC News *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Vicar Preaches U2 to the Masses

West Yorkshire vicar has turned his love of rock group U2 into a way of preaching the Gospel.

Rev. Derek Walmsley, 46, of the St Mark's Parish in Utley, near Keighley, has written a sermon based on the band's song "Playboy Mansion."

It follows an advertisement he found when trawling U2 fan sites on the Internet looking for contributors to a book of sermons reflecting their work.

Sensing a chance to combine his love of the Irish rockers with his beliefs, Mr. Walmsley sent his contribution and was excited to discover it was exactly what the publishers were looking for.

He told BBC News Online: "I was quite surprised because I thought there would be a few people interested but there is only myself that is included from England.

"The aim of the book is to reflect how preachers are using contemporary culture more and more.

"U2 don't like to be called a Christian band but three members are and there is a lot of spirituality their in music and lyrics."

The book, called "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalogue," contains the thoughts of 22 other U2-loving clergymen from around the world.

The book contains references to some of the band's best-known work including "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Pride," and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

The publishers say themes close to the band's heart such as life, love, mortality, forgiveness and social justice are prevalent throughout.

_39525202_revdwalmsley203.jpg

Derek Walmsley

Mr. Walmsley, a dedicated fan of U2 since 1981, believes they represent the best example of where to find spirituality in contemporary pop culture.

"Bono is reluctant to be labelled a Christian, but nevertheless, U2's lyrics are soaked in spiritual imagery and Bono often quotes from the Psalms in live concerts.

"I suppose you could use quite a lot of other profound bands. I'm not sure about Madonna--though she does talk about praying a lot."

Sunday worshippers at St Mark's Church in Utley are yet to hear the "Playboy Mansion" sermon because Mr. Walmsley is not sure if many people would know who U2 are.

But he revealed it may be incorporated into one of the church's Friday night meetings aimed at a younger audience in which he often explores spirituality in popular culture.

"Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalogue" is published by Cowley Publications in the New Year with all royalties going to TASO, an African AIDS charity.

-- BBC News

Thanks Beth!

:up: :angel: wow! This is cool, and he looks so good in his U2 t-shirt! Now, that would be a U2 fan I could have an interesting chat with:happy: Go 4 it Rev. Derek!

Back
Top Bottom