(11-14-2003) Bono Challenges Martin to Help Africa -- CBC News *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/bono2_031114.jpg[/SIMG]
Bono Challenges Martin to Help Africa

TORONTO - Irish rock star Bono made his much-anticipated speech at the Liberal convention on Friday night.

He was in his activist mode when he arrived in Toronto, ready to push for Canadian help for a cause he holds dear, aid to Africa.

Early in the day he met with a group of Canadian non-governmental organizations, NGOs. He listened carefully as they explained that key legislation to provide cheap medicine to Africa could die on the order paper in the House of Commons. Paul Martin will have to re-introduce it if it is to survive.

Bono and his band U2 have been a supergroup for 20 years. But he has also developed an international reputation as a political activist. He's become a regular at international economic summits, pushing hard for debt relief for African nations. Activists say Bono's influence can make a difference.

"In the case of Bono, he's an expert. He's been doing this for many, many years, a couple of decades. In the 1980s he was involved in LiveAid. He's been to the countries he talks about, he understands the issues," said Dr. Eric Hoskins with War Child Canada.

Bono's also well acquainted with Canadian politics, having met both Paul Martin and Jean Chr?tien on the conference circuit.

"I think Canada has a really special role to play in all this and I think Paul Martin has a good sense of this, as indeed had Jean Chr?tien, but I'm here to be the voice of their conscience," he said.

Bono later had a private meeting with Martin, where Africa was expected to dominate the discussion.

Bono thrilled the crowd at the convention and took full advantage of the television and radio exposure, urging Canada's politicians to increase their aid to Africa and the developing world. "Paul Martin thinks he likes me," said Bono, "but I'm going to be a real pain in the ass."

He had this advice for the new Liberal leader. "If he carries the mantle of Trudeau, Pearson and Chr?tien, then Canada, Oh Canada, will show the world the way forward."

-- CBC News

For audio and video of Bono's speech at the convention, visit http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/11/14/bono031114

Last edited:
Amazing speech. Very casual, only the way Bono can pull off, but very inspiring. I just with people would listen and actually respond.

I just listened to the audio...didn't get a chance to watch the video...but I'll look at that, probably tomorrow.

I'm just going to say this right now: Bono is the coolest human being ever. That speech was incredible (seriously, if he ever did decide to run for office of some kind...I'd have no complaints with that whatsoever).

The story about the man who'd lost his wife to AIDS, and now had a new girlfriend who was HIV-positive...that just hit me. My god...

I hope Canada will take his words to heart.

The best quote out of that speech, to me (I wrote it down as I was listening, so it might not be exact, but...):

"It's cheaper to stop people from hating you than it is to defend yourself against it.".

Very cool.

Angela

Yep, I agree it was one hell of a remarkable speech - the best he's ever given in my opinion.

My fave quote was at the end when he talked about Canada, Paul Martin, etc lying down on the tracks to stop the train...I wish I could find the exact quote - it had me crying...

The best quote-
"Im not a supporter of the Liberal Party, Im not a supporter of any polictical party"-Bono.

DB9

ladywithspinninghead said:
My fave quote was at the end when he talked about Canada, Paul Martin, etc lying down on the tracks to stop the train...

:yes:!

That part was incredible, too. Talk about motivation.

And when he said he was willing to lay across the track...:heart:.

Bono's just awesome. My respect for him just continues to grow with stuff like this.

Angela

great speech, bono is so versatile, i wonder how much of his brain capacity is at work, but there's really no question that his heart capacity is of the charts

WOW. I've watched that speech *twice* today. It was *amazing*. I've never seen anyone who can reach out and touch people like that. I love this guy. :love: :love: :heart: :heart:

Hi!

Im very happy to hear about his well-received speech! Sound great.....

I have a small problem....im partially deaf and though i can hear sounds very well, its just that I didnt quite get the full speech so Im wondering if there is a full transcript of Bono's speech somewhere on the net? Can anyone help me out? your help would be much appreciated! thanks!

final word to say about Bono's speech.... AWESOME!

You rock, BONO!

dougal

dougal55 said:
Hi!

Im very happy to hear about his well-received speech! Sound great.....

I have a small problem....im partially deaf and though i can hear sounds very well, its just that I didnt quite get the full speech so Im wondering if there is a full transcript of Bono's speech somewhere on the net? Can anyone help me out? your help would be much appreciated! thanks!

final word to say about Bono's speech.... AWESOME!

You rock, BONO!

dougal

ya......i would also luv to read a full transcript.

Back
Top Bottom