U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   So tell me...are they really so different? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/so-tell-me-are-they-really-so-different-94413.html)

indra 07-29-2004 03:53 AM

So tell me...are they really so different?
 
OK, I've been reading several of the religion threads and although interesting, it is also a bit amazing to me, because it seems that so many divisions in Christianity (the vast majority of religious postings here concern some form of Christianity) are just splitting hairs.

Now I pick and choose from a wide variety of belief systems to find what works for me, but I wondered about the basic precepts of major world religions and how much they differ. So I go on a little hunt and what do I find...well, I don't really see a huge difference in many of the major ones. Certainly the details differ, and they differ enough to be more attractive to one group than another, but are they really that different? Are the differences worth even arguing about, let alone killing and dying for? Is Christianity so much different than Hinduism in the end? So what do you think?

I found this brief description a dozen of the world's major religions here just as a basic (and very brief) reference.

Luthien Black 07-29-2004 05:44 AM

What really fascinates me is that there can be so much tension, strife and warfare between three major religions (Christianity, Judaism & Islam) when they all worship the same god!

I also find it somewhat bizarre that religion was created as a good thing - people could use it to explain things they didn't understand, and as a kind of reassurance - and yet people can use it as an excuse for doing such awful things. I think that's a real pity, because for so many people religion is such a wonderful thing, yet there are those out there who abuse it and ruin it.

By the way, I am not the slightest bit religious. I wasn't brought up in a religious household, so i find it difficult to believe in. I class myself as an agnostic, though, as who am I to say whether or not there is some greater being out there. I'm happy either way - if there is a god/goddess or whatever, that's really amazing, and if there's not, well I find it kinda romantic to think that we're here to fend for ourselves, and that it's only chance that got us here. In a way, that really inspires me to make the most of my life!:angel:

Moonlit_Angel 07-29-2004 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Luthien Black
I also find it somewhat bizarre that religion was created as a good thing - people could use it to explain things they didn't understand, and as a kind of reassurance - and yet people can use it as an excuse for doing such awful things. I think that's a real pity, because for so many people religion is such a wonderful thing, yet there are those out there who abuse it and ruin it.
:yes: :up:.

I've never understood the tension between religions, either. Why can't people just leave others alone and let them believe whatever makes them happy? Nothing wrong whatsoever with discussion about the religions and asking questions about what you don't understand-after all, by doing that, there won't be so much ignorance spouted about various religions.

But killing each other over religious differences? Why? What good exactly do people think that will do?

Quote:

Originally posted by Luthien Black
I'm happy either way - if there is a god/goddess or whatever, that's really amazing, and if there's not, well I find it kinda romantic to think that we're here to fend for ourselves, and that it's only chance that got us here. In a way, that really inspires me to make the most of my life!:angel:
That's an interesting way of looking at it. :).

Angela

verte76 07-29-2004 10:32 AM

Killing over religious differences is, in my book, a humongous sin. Killing over any differences is a sin. People are never going to be the same. You're always going to have differing religious views, differing political views, all sorts of differences, and to me that's what makes life interesting. It'd be boring as hell if we were all alike. We wouldn't need democracy if we were all alike. We'd do just fine in a police state. Now that's scary. There'd be no history books. I sure would hate that.

nbcrusader 07-29-2004 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Luthien Black
What really fascinates me is that there can be so much tension, strife and warfare between three major religions (Christianity, Judaism & Islam) when they all worship the same god!
They do not.

AcrobatMan 07-29-2004 11:02 AM

i classify people as

1) religious fanatics
2) extremely religious
3) religious
4) mildly religious
5) non-religious ( + religious only by birth)

its NOT by chances by 90% ( or so ) people of some religions fall in category 1) & 2) and and 90% of another fall in category 4) & 5).

so in that way there is a difference between all religions. if you sample people and try to classify them in these 5 categories, you will get different results for different religions.

i think more than religion, ethics and ideals should be important. one should help for the society, the humanity , (strictly SECULAR HELP ) without the implicit or explicit intention or HIDDEN agenda.

showing kindness to animals and plants is also important... but there are times when you cant avoid it ( for example when you step on a insect and the bugs get crushed)

FizzingWhizzbees 07-29-2004 11:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Luthien Black
What really fascinates me is that there can be so much tension, strife and warfare between three major religions (Christianity, Judaism & Islam) when they all worship the same god!
Quote:

Originally posted by nbcrusader
They do not.

So there's more than one god? Or followers of at least one of Islam, Judaism and Christianity, are worshipping a god who doesn't exist?

AcrobatMan 07-29-2004 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by verte76
Killing over religious
have you ever wondered why people kill over religious difference.

why dont people kill each other because they wear dress of different color :wink:

AcrobatMan 07-29-2004 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees





So there's more than one god?
[/QUOTE]


hi fizz:wave:

Why do you assume that there is 1 or more God/s ?

Any good reason for it

FizzingWhizzbees 07-29-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AcrobatMan
i classify people as

1) religious fanatics
2) extremely religious
3) religious
4) mildly religious
5) non-religious ( + religious only by birth)

its NOT by chances by 90% ( or so ) people of some religions fall in category 1) & 2) and and 90% of another fall in category 4) & 5).

so in that way there is a difference between all religions. if you sample people and try to classify them in these 5 categories, you will get different results for different religions.

That's...interesting. I guess my first question would be what sort of criteria are you using to place people in those categories? However, I think the real problem with your argument is that if you applied that test to different countries or at different times in history, you'd find as much variation as you would if you applied the test to different religions.

Take the UK and US for example, both countries have Christianity as the largest religion and yet few would disagree with the generalization that US citizens are more religious than UK citizens. Another example: compare attitudes to religion in France in the 17th century with attitudes to religion in contemporary France. Christianity was the predominant religion both in the 17th century and today, but attitudes to religion have changed greatly in the last three centuries.

You do have some interesting points, but I think you ignore the fact that many factors influence how religious people are, it's not simply a matter of which religion they practice.

FizzingWhizzbees 07-29-2004 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AcrobatMan

hi fizz:wave:

Why do you assume that there is 1 or more God/s ?

Any good reason for it

I actually don't assume that, I was just asking nbc to elaborate on his statement. Personally, I don't know if there's one god, many gods or no god at all. I find it hard to believe there is one "true" religion and all others are false, but equally I find it hard to reconcile the differences between religions to the extent that they could all be seen to be worshipping the same god. I actually don't have any firm beliefs on the subject, which is somewhat unusual for someone as opinionated as me. :D

Moonlit_Angel 07-29-2004 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by verte76
Killing over religious differences is, in my book, a humongous sin. Killing over any differences is a sin. People are never going to be the same. You're always going to have differing religious views, differing political views, all sorts of differences, and to me that's what makes life interesting. It'd be boring as hell if we were all alike. We wouldn't need democracy if we were all alike. We'd do just fine in a police state. Now that's scary. There'd be no history books. I sure would hate that.
Agree wholeheartedly with this. :up: :).

Angela

AcrobatMan 07-29-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


That's...interesting. I guess my first question would be what sort of criteria are you using to place people in those categories? However, I think the real problem with your argument is that if you applied that test to different countries or at different times in history, you'd find as much variation as you would if you applied the test to different religions.

Take the UK and US for example, both countries have Christianity as the largest religion and yet few would disagree with the generalization that US citizens are more religious than UK citizens. Another example: compare attitudes to religion in France in the 17th century with attitudes to religion in contemporary France. Christianity was the predominant religion both in the 17th century and today, but attitudes to religion have changed greatly in the last three centuries.

You do have some interesting points, but I think you ignore the fact that many factors influence how religious people are, it's not simply a matter of which religion they practice.


Remember i had a discussion with you in "Goal is soul" forum when i had used numbers ( and probability).. i am just giving the general picture... the general trend... and you (like that time ) are giving me specific exceptions.

FizzingWhizzbees 07-29-2004 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AcrobatMan
Remember i had a discussion with you in "Goal is soul" forum when i had used numbers ( and probability).. i am just giving the general picture... the general trend... and you (like that time ) are giving me specific exceptions.
I do remember that discussion, and I'm still waiting for the statistical evidence that if you're good then good things happen to you and if you're bad then bad things happen. :wink: (If anyone's interested, this is the thread we're referring to: http://forum.interference.com/showth...7&pagenumber=2)

However, the whole point of my post was to emphasize that those general trends you speak of depend on more than just religion. General trends about religious belief vary between different societies and different times in history, not merely between different religions.

nbcrusader 07-29-2004 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
So there's more than one god? Or followers of at least one of Islam, Judaism and Christianity, are worshipping a god who doesn't exist?
To avoid a lengthy theological discussion, it will suffice to say that Jesus Christ does not equal Allah.

From a Christian monotheistic standpoint, if you are not worshiping God (who is Jesus Christ), you are worshiping a god who does not exist.





*edited to correct gross mistatement as caught by Fizz :wave: *


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com