U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Lemonade Stand Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   Allmusic goes to hell (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/allmusic-goes-to-hell-93861.html)

SkeeK 07-13-2004 12:17 PM

Allmusic goes to hell

Thank you AMG for making a new design and have it incompatible with Mozilla, or any macintosh computer.

Thank you AMG for having the new design suck major kangaroo balls even if you are using the one browser it does support.

Assholes.

(edit: that's the website allmusic.com, not "all music", sorry if there was some confusion. there's actually a lot of really great music that is not in hell at all and is quite excellent. for instance right now I am listening to a little album called Gallowbird's Bark and it is proving itself to be quite enjoyable.)

u2popmofo 07-13-2004 12:21 PM

Haha. I kinda like the new layout, but they do need to change a few things back to the way they were.

Elvis Presley 07-13-2004 12:43 PM

I agree its a downgrade.... :down:

u2popmofo 07-13-2004 12:46 PM

Re: Allmusic goes to hell

Quote:

Originally posted by SkeeK
for instance right now I am listening to a little album called Gallowbird's Bark and it is proving itself to be quite enjoyable.)
Fiery Furnaces :drool:

I cannot decide which of their albums I should purchase first.....

SkeeK 07-13-2004 12:47 PM

I'll let you know when I am familiar with both ;). i haven't quite finished downloading the new one yet.

Elvis Presley 07-13-2004 12:49 PM

And to think I was about to start a Fiery Furnaces thread....... you guys catch the review Pitchfork gave them?

:eyebrow:

HeadsOnSticks 07-13-2004 02:34 PM

seeing as how i spend massive amounts of time perusing thru amg, i feel that i'm qualified enough to comment on the new layout....and i think it sucks. it looks like someone's blog now. i'm very disappointed, but will continue to sing the praises of this website because it still is the most comprehensive musical site around. so yeah...i'm giving it a "downgrade."

melon 07-13-2004 03:00 PM

http://www.osnn.net/comments.php?shownews=10629

Quote:

allmusic.com revamped their entire site, making it more user-friendly and adding plenty of nice new visual features. However, when attempting to visit the site on anything except IE5.5 or higher, one is greeted with bad news right atop the page.

"Notice: You are accessing allmusic.com with a browser that is not currently supported. The appearance and functionality of the site could be impacted. allmusic.com is optimized for Internet Explorer 5.5 and above for Windows."

So non-IE users get mis-aligned tables and columns, missing "relevance" bars, no fancy rollover effects, or any of the other cool new features IE users get to see. In IE, when you mouse-over an artist's release in the discography, you get a ncie dropdown that contains a thumbnail of the cover art along with AMG picks for best songs on the CD... None of this is present in Mozilla Firefox 0.9.2... Viewing the site in Opera 7.52 identifying itself a IE6 gets rid of the error and brings back the rollovers, but doesn't fix the tables problems...
Melon

Jack In The Box 07-13-2004 05:30 PM

I have IE 5.0, I can't use AMG... needs IE 5.5 :(

alia612 07-13-2004 05:40 PM

:( I miss the old site. This reminds me of that Encarta Encyclopedia thing that comes packaged with Windows and I keep getting error messages. Oh well, there's always the Wayback Machine (hopefully).

Moonlit_Angel 07-13-2004 06:21 PM

*Shrugs* I think it's okay-my only complaint is that every so often when I go to a new page, I have to hit the refresh button because there's a temporary connection problem.

Other than that...I haven't had any issues with it.

Angela

IWasBored 07-14-2004 12:51 AM

i'm not sure what IE i've got, but it's taking a year and a day to load.

their recommended artists are always good for a laugh.

SkeeK 07-14-2004 07:06 AM

they changed it so it's now compatible with other browsers now, at least. still too much clicking required.

OzAurora 07-14-2004 06:06 PM

I like the old site better- the new one looks to SLICK, for me that is......

alia612 07-14-2004 08:55 PM

It still doesn't completely work on Mozilla--a lot of the text is overlapping and weird. And what's with this sudden focus on classical music? Everything I search for comes up as classical as well--I've never heard of a classical The Cure or a classical Michael Stipe. I've nothing against classical music but it's all classical music now.

EDIT: Er, I mean, it's not all classical music, but it's a lot more conspicuous than it was on the old site.