U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   General Tour Discussions (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/)
-   -   Well we still don't know if they're playing stadiums... (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/well-we-still-dont-know-if-theyre-playing-stadiums-91661.html)

Headache in a Suitcase 05-11-2004 08:23 AM

Well we still don't know if they're playing stadiums...

... but I think we can pretty much say for sure that they'll be playing arenas.

from U2log.com
Quote:

As we discuss whether U2 will play stadiums or arenas on the next tour, here's a big clue: The US-Ireland Alliance will soon host an eBay auction that includes two tickets to see U2 live at Madison Square Garden in New York whenever the next U2 tour takes place. That's Madison Square Garden. That's not Giants Stadium. And the prize, which also includes a pre-concert dinner at "The Spotted Pig", that hip new restaurant Bono invested in last year, has been donated directly to the US-Ireland Alliance by some guy named Paul McGuinness. We hear he's pretty knowledgeable on the band's plans. :-)

HelloAngel 05-11-2004 09:09 AM

Frankly, I'd be very surprised if U2 booked stadiums after such a long absence. Not that they couldn't fill them, but arenas are very efficient for now, I'd think. :shrug:

TheBrazilianFly 05-11-2004 11:22 AM

Dammit. I hope not. They're great in a stadium. They probably will do both on this tour but maybe they will only do arenas in the US...

Reggie Thee Dog 05-11-2004 11:41 AM

Who cares where they play as long as they play!!

bedouin fire 05-11-2004 11:42 AM

let them do a warm up in american arenas and bring them then to european stadiums in the summer for the real thing

Headache in a Suitcase 05-11-2004 12:12 PM

i'm guessing they'll do both arenas and stadiums

Fringuella 05-11-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bedouin fire
european stadiums in the summer
I hope....:sad:

popacrobat 05-11-2004 02:39 PM

yes, what headache said.

tkramer 05-11-2004 02:51 PM

I still think they should model it after the last Rolling Stones Tour. The Stones did it just right: One arena show in smaller stones markets like Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Denver, etc. Then they played one Stadium, one Arena, and one Theatre show in the moster markets like Philly, Chicago, New York. They also played setlists that fit the venue. So stadium shows had more big hits and theatre shows had some more obscure stuff.

For U2 that would mean you'd pick a more theatre friendly tune you couldn't pull off in a Stadium, like The First Time for instance. Too quiet and fragile for a boomy stadium, but could hit you in the gut in a smallish theatre with great accoustics. On the other hand, the whole bad/streets like combo is always more fun with 20-50,000 of your closest friends. I think it'd be fun to weigh the pros and cons throughout the tour of the different shows...

U2girl 05-11-2004 02:59 PM

Didn't the Stones play clubs (was it theatres), arenas and stadiums?

I don't know if U2 would do that, with all the setlist changing and all (although Bono said something about 2 different setlists), I think they will definitely start with arenas (see the Madison Square garden tickets auction news), whether they'll do stadiums... :shrug:

zoopop 05-11-2004 05:30 PM

Something to also take note about the Stones tour. Bono performed one night. Bono loves to take insperation on what other bands are doing. I'm sure doing arenas and stadiums together has crossed U2's mind. :wink:

The_acrobat 05-11-2004 08:15 PM

They will start the tour in March in Miami in arenas, to test the waters, so to speak. Then come back later for a stadium tour, just like they did on Joshua Tree and Zoo TV. I predict the tour schedule to look like this.

March/April- U.S. Arenas
May/August - Europe Stadiums
September/November- U.S. Stadiums
January/March 2006- Stadiums in the "Rest of the world" aka South America/Australia/Japan etc.

martha 05-11-2004 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The_acrobat
/November- U.S. Stadiums

That'll be some cold-ass concerts without careful planning.

U2 addict 05-12-2004 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
They're great in a stadium.
exactly. they can start out in arenas , but I hope majority of the tour is in stadiums (think popmart 4th leg +elevation band tightness and add cutting edge stage design and technology..........:drool: :drool: )

Headache in a Suitcase 05-12-2004 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by martha

That'll be some cold-ass concerts without careful planning.

not with the brand new ass warmer stage that willie's putting together for them... mmmm mmmm toasty