U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Lemonade Stand Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   National Do Not Call Registry (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/national-do-not-call-registry-80132.html)

joyfulgirl 07-30-2003 11:05 AM

National Do Not Call Registry
 
Here is an opportunity to reclaim your home privacy from telemarketers. It just started up recently. You can enter your telephone number (even mobile number) and after a short time your number will appear on a do not call list meant for telemarketers.

http://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

kobayashi 07-30-2003 11:16 AM

none of it starts till october 1st i believe. good idea though.

it is going to kill a large portion of an industry, albeit an annoying one.

zonelistener 07-30-2003 11:24 AM

"The Industry" has filed suit to stop the program. Something like 28 Million people have already signed up for the list. The Industry says that it will acount for two million people losing their jobs.

sulawesigirl4 07-30-2003 11:26 AM

perhaps "the industry" should have policed itself and avoided government intervention. :tsk:

MissVelvetDress_75 07-30-2003 11:27 AM

well i added my numbers to this list a few weeks ago.

zonelistener 07-30-2003 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
perhaps "the industry" should have policed itself and avoided government intervention. :tsk:
I will not defend the industry...but, I would like to know what you mean by "Policed itself"?

I realize this is not FYM....but, I like a good debate, especially with my smart friends! ;)

cell 07-30-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by zonelistener
"The Industry" has filed suit to stop the program. Something like 28 Million people have already signed up for the list. The Industry says that it will acount for two million people losing their jobs.
if i was still working for the daily tribune, i would be losing my job because of this.

there are some telemarketers that are just plain annoying, and then there are some that are not. im one of those who are not. maybe thats why i lost my job last year. their goal was to sell papers any way they can. i can't force someone to buy something they dont need or worse, can't afford. some of the things used to suggestive sell was just appalling imo.

i dont mind decent telemarketers. i've always had a soft spot for them since i know what its like to be hung up on, cursed at, told to go th hell, etc...

zonelistener 07-30-2003 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by icelle


if i was still working for the daily tribune, i would be losing my job because of this.

there are some telemarketers that are just plain annoying, and then there are some that are not. im one of those who are not. maybe thats why i lost my job last year. their goal was to sell papers any way they can. i can't force someone to buy something they dont need or worse, can't afford. some of the things used to suggestive sell was just appalling imo.

i dont mind decent telemarketers. i've always had a soft spot for them since i know what its like to be hung up on, cursed at, told to go th hell, etc...

In my last marketing job, one of the tactics we used was telemarketing. I would have to write scripts for telemarketers, and would monitor the number of sales they would have. It was one of, if not the most succesful sales tools we had for the product I marketed.

Despite this, I am not fond of telemarketers, and have had an unlisted number for some time.

sulawesigirl4 07-30-2003 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by zonelistener


I will not defend the industry...but, I would like to know what you mean by "Policed itself"?

I realize this is not FYM....but, I like a good debate, especially with my smart friends! ;)

I think the statement is pretty clear. Sorry, but it's not a topic that I'm really interested in debating. ;)

zonelistener 07-30-2003 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4


I think the statement is pretty clear. Sorry, but it's not a topic that I'm really interested in debating. ;)

Well, you make a bold statement like they have commited federal offenses by calling people to sell items. Telemarketing has never been a crime, I believe, that should be "policed."

Lilly 07-30-2003 11:46 AM

i'm gonna give a HUGE :up: to sula's concept that telemarketers should've policed themselves.


and i'm also gonna say that i totally agree with icelle - that there are telemarketers who are very respectful of the people they're calling. and i think a lot of times that goes back to the business that hired the telemarketers. i've been a telemarketer, and i too have been told to go to hell etc etc - but honestly what's the point of that? but my bosses were really considerate and didn't give me a quota or anything - and stressed that i be polite and respectful of peoples' wishes.

my family joined the minnesota do no call list a few months ago and now the phone really doesn't ring as much as it did before [insert comment about me having no friends that call me or something like that here ;)].

i think if the telemarketing industry had set limits and laws in the first place - we'd be in a different situation.

unfortunately, a LOT people are facing losing their jobs right now, and that is never friendly - especially in this economy where it's going to be VERY hard to find a different job.

zonelistener 07-30-2003 12:08 PM

I am not trying to be an instigator here, but I am still having trouble understanding the "Policing" part.

Are there examples of what the industry could have policed?

I truly feel like I am probably missing something obvious - and I hope I am.

Can anyone help here?

Lilly 07-30-2003 12:21 PM

companies shouldn't have set high quotas, should not have pushed their associates to push their telemarketing so hard, and should not have paid their associates only on how many sales they make.


police themselves.

nbcrusader 07-30-2003 12:28 PM

The only drawback are the loopholes in the Registry Program. Certain classes of telemarketers can continue to call, even if your number is on the list.

kobayashi 07-30-2003 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lilly
companies shouldn't have set high quotas, should not have pushed their associates to push their telemarketing so hard, and should not have paid their associates only on how many sales they make.
the industry got too large doing the things youve listed. this regulation allows society at large to correct the industry. it seems perfetly efficient to me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com