U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Lemonade Stand Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   Rivaldo wins an oscar (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/rivaldo-wins-an-oscar-57413.html)

Holly 06-04-2002 03:04 PM

Rivaldo wins an oscar
 
Did anybody watch the Brazil game yesterday? At one point a Turkish player Kicked the ball at Rivaldo, It hit him on the legs and he went down clutching his face as if he had been shot, He lay on the floor rolling about in agony waiting for the referee to respond (even looking through his fingers at the ref while on the floor) The turk did not even kick it that hard and the refereee sent him of for it :(

I like watching Brazil play but this was unbelivable

Fifa should cancel the red card, give Rivaldo a dummy and send him home, What a cheat...:(

rafmed 06-04-2002 03:18 PM

Rivaldo actions will be analized by the FIFA Disciplinary commitee, to see if he deserves some punishment.:no:

Lemonboy 06-04-2002 03:22 PM

Ban him for life I say!!!:mad:

follower 06-04-2002 05:01 PM

S**t happens...
 
Yup, Rivaldo deserves an Oscar and the referee needs a good pair of new glasses...all of the three referees in fact.

I agree, what Rivaldo did was not nice neither necessary, but itīs quite commom around here, we call it malandragem...donīt ask me to translate it, I couldnīt find the right word...but itīs exactly what hapenned. The players from both teams, I might say, they knew and felt that the referee was not exactly brilliant so they tried to take some advantage of the situation.
Brasil was more lucky on its attempts than Turkey. Simple as that.

Salome 06-05-2002 07:11 AM

Re: Rivaldo wins an oscar
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Holly
Fifa should cancel the red card, give Rivaldo a dummy and send him home, What a cheat...:(
if they'd do that they'd create a presedent impossible for referees to follow up on

if Rivaldo would be punished it would be that referees should decide on every piece of theater put on (and there is enough of that on a football field) whether he should give the player a red, yellow of no card at all depending on the 'quality' of his performance
this would even be more arbritraty than the offside rule (if that is possible :| )

the Turk shouldn't have tried to hit Rivaldo with the ball (which he did do) so he deserved a card for that
Rivaldo shouldn't have overreacted, but there isn't really much that can be done about that

speedracer 06-05-2002 08:20 AM

Looks like Rivaldo was fined.

Is it safe to assume that the referee will be evaluated negatively in some way by official-type people? (In contrast, basketball referees--at least in the NBA--are almost completely immune to criticism.)

Holly 06-05-2002 08:27 AM

Re: Re: Rivaldo wins an oscar
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Salome
if they'd do that they'd create a presedent impossible for referees to follow up on

if Rivaldo would be punished it would be that referees should decide on every piece of theater put on (and there is enough of that on a football field) whether he should give the player a red, yellow of no card at all depending on the 'quality' of his performance
this would even be more arbritraty than the offside rule (if that is possible :| )

the Turk shouldn't have tried to hit Rivaldo with the ball (which he did do) so he deserved a card for that
Rivaldo shouldn't have overreacted, but there isn't really much that can be done about that

Just because there is a lot of cheating in football does not make it right.. If the cheating is blatent like Rivaldos was (who was rolling about on the floor trying to make out he was injured worse than what he was ,with one purpose!, to influence the refs decision) he should be punished, maybe the turk should have been given a card for it but Red and sent off.. I find it difficult to swallow that some teams think diving,and trying to get players sent of is part of football and is cunning, It is cheating to try win the game, simple as that..

A Ģ5000 fine for someone on rivaldos wages is peanuts..

Why dont these players try to win by playing football instead of cheating, A team with the quality of Brazil should not have to resort to dirty tactics..

Salome 06-05-2002 11:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Rivaldo wins an oscar
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Holly


Just because there is a lot of cheating in football does not make it right..

but if you can't make a rule to prevent it then I don't think it makes much sense to punish him

Holly 06-05-2002 02:36 PM

Turk gets his own back, put your hands on your face now Rivaldo :D

http://www.funnyjunk.com/pic/0101.jpg

kobayashi 06-05-2002 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by speedracer
Looks like Rivaldo was fined.

Is it safe to assume that the referee will be evaluated negatively in some way by official-type people? (In contrast, basketball referees--at least in the NBA--are almost completely immune to criticism.)

is the nba the same as the nhl where media cannot speak to referees following a game?

i agree with this rule. media shouldn't talk to refs. they also shouldn't have a reason to begin with.

speedracer 06-05-2002 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi


is the nba the same as the nhl where media cannot speak to referees following a game?

i agree with this rule. media shouldn't talk to refs. they also shouldn't have a reason to begin with.

Not only are refs unavailable for comment after games, players are not allowed to criticize refs in the media (doing so is punishable by fines), and the NBA does absolutely nothing to address the perception that its officiating stinks/is inconsistent/blatantly favors star players/etc. Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, has been complaining about the officiating all season. He knows full well that he's going to pile up fines with every criticism, but he's succeeded somewhat in swaying public opinion towards his side.

Compare this with the NFL, where referees and NFL bigwigs freely discuss these sorts of things. There are numerous examples of NFL referees calmly explaining controversial calls minutes after the game:

-Thanksgiving 1998 (?), Detroit vs. Pittsburgh. For the overtime coin flip, referee Phil Luckett asks Pittsburgh captain Jerome Bettis to call the flip. Bettis hesitates for a second, then says 'heads.' The coin comes up heads, Luckett says 'the call is tails. The coin is heads. Detroit has won the flip.'

After the game, Luckett explained that Bettis at first said 'tails,' then quickly changed his mind and said 'heads,' as the video replay proved. By rule, Luckett had to accept Bettis's initial 'tails' call.

-2000 playoffs, Tennessee vs. Buffalo. Buffalo scores the go-ahead touchdown with 10 seconds left and kicks off. Tennessee's Lorenzo Neal fields the kickoff, hands off to Frank Wycheck, who immediately fires a lateral pass to Kevin Dyson. Kevin Dyson runs to the end zone untouched. Buffalo howls about the lateral pass, which they thought was an illegal forward pass, and demands a replay. After the video review, the play stands. Touchdown. Phil Luckett also happened to be refereeing this play, and he calmly explained over the PA (and to the media after the game) that although the pass looked like a forward pass, Wycheck's hand was in fact a few inches upfield of the spot where Dyson caught the pass, as the video replay showed.

-2002 playoffs, Oakland vs. New England. With New England driving for a tying field goal in the freezing snow, Tom Brady drops back to pass. He is hit by an Oakland defender, drops the ball, and Oakland recovers. The ref blows the whistle and signals an incomplete pass, not a fumble. The play goes to the video review again, and the ref explains over the PA that although Brady's arm was no longer making a forward passing motion, he had not yet tucked the ball away, and hence by rule the play is an incomplete pass.

In the case of Rivaldo going down, all the referee has to do is say that he thought firing the ball at Rivaldo's legs deserved a red card, regardless of Rivaldo's theatrics, and he'll placate a lot of people.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright ÂĐ Interference.com