U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/)
-   -   UK General Election June 8th? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/uk-general-election-june-8th-220899.html)

gareth brown 04-18-2017 05:29 AM

UK General Election June 8th?

May to seek snap election for 8 June - BBC News

Theresa May has called for a snap election in June! Parliament are voting on whether or not to repeal the fixed term parliament act tomorrow.

:huh:

Vlad n U 2 04-18-2017 05:32 AM

I'm surprised as hell to say the least. Can't say I have high hopes for a good result however.

mama cass 04-18-2017 06:26 AM

yeah just saw this too

arrogant b!tch thinks she'll win with the opposition in disarray...

unless everyone votes Lib Dem en masse :D

Axver 04-18-2017 08:04 AM

This is mad. The whole point of fixed terms was to stop naked politicking like this. If she had gone to the country before giving notice to the EU, she could have justified it by saying there was so much rancour she needed to seek a mandate. A snap election would have been valid under the escape clauses of the fixed terms act. But now? Her justification is paper thin. She just knows she can win and claim another bullshit mandate based on a split Labour/Lib Dem vote.

Also, are people planning on voting Lib Dem so short on memory that they've forgotten 2010? The UK might not even be on course for Brexit if the Lib Dems hadn't made such a calamitous decision. As a friend put it, the Lib Dems are just Tories who hide their shame better.

Vlad n U 2 04-18-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axver (Post 8155852)
This is mad. The whole point of fixed terms was to stop naked politicking like this. If she had gone to the country before giving notice to the EU, she could have justified it by saying there was so much rancour she needed to seek a mandate. A snap election would have been valid under the escape clauses of the fixed terms act. But now? Her justification is paper thin. She just knows she can win and claim another bullshit mandate based on a split Labour/Lib Dem vote.

Also, are people planning on voting Lib Dem so short on memory that they've forgotten 2010? The UK might not even be on course for Brexit if the Lib Dems hadn't made such a calamitous decision. As a friend put it, the Lib Dems are just Tories who hide their shame better.

:applaud:I'd add that the Labour right/"""Sensible""" Labour are Tories in denial, hopeful of avoiding the image associated with being a Tory. Then I suppose you'd say UKIP are Tories who think the Tories don't despise minorities enough.

And Tim Farron looks like a fallen former child prodigy desperately trying to remind everyone that he still exists in adult form.

Axver 04-18-2017 08:30 AM

UK General Election June 8th?

UKIP are fucking Tories on the moon.

And wait, wait, Corbyn SUPPORTS the snap election? Has he lost his mind? He should stand up in parliament, read May's numerous comments about not calling an election back to her, recite the fixed terms act, and tell the Tories to get fucked, he won't stand for her attempt to exploit the system.

cobl04 04-18-2017 08:41 AM

Well I walked into a comedy show and walked out and shit had gone to hell.

Jeremy must think his party can overcome a 20 fucking per cent deficit.

mama cass 04-18-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axver (Post 8155858)
UKIP are fucking Tories on the moon.

And wait, wait, Corbyn SUPPORTS the snap election? Has he lost his mind? He should stand up in parliament, read May's numerous comments about not calling an election back to her, recite the fixed terms act, and tell the Tories to get fucked, he won't stand for her attempt to exploit the system.

seriously to god, the man needs to grow a pair - he is making me despair, and i was a Labour voter (before i was disenfranchised) :angry:

also, the UK parliament was meant to be reinstating voting rights for UK emigrants who, like me, have lived outside the UK for more than 15 years and had lost their rights, and a vote like this is where it counts the most for the likes of us, but of course it won't be passed into law in time for this snap election, so screwed again :angry:

mama cass 04-18-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axver (Post 8155852)
Also, are people planning on voting Lib Dem so short on memory that they've forgotten 2010?

well they're pretty much the only ones anti-Brexit right now - beggars can't be choosers :lol:

Vlad n U 2 04-18-2017 08:46 AM

mama cass 04-18-2017 08:47 AM

Raving Monster Loony Party gets my vote at this rate

mama cass 04-18-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 (Post 8155853)
:applaud:I'd add that the Labour right/"""Sensible""" Labour are Tories in denial, hopeful of avoiding the image associated with being a Tory.

yep, Blair was more Thatcherite than Thatcher

superchuk5 04-18-2017 09:00 AM

The last time a PM wagered the UK's future with the EU to win an election, Brexit happened.

Just saying May is playing with fire here.

Vlad n U 2 04-18-2017 09:00 AM

And thus Thatcher's greatest achievement, I guess. Transformed that whole party.

anitram 04-18-2017 11:23 AM

So blatantly opportunist.