U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/)
-   -   No Line On The Horizon: the most underrated album? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/no-line-on-the-horizon-the-most-underrated-album-220866.html)

LemonMelon 04-03-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikal (Post 8153034)
I'd actually replace SFS with Crazy Tonight in your statement above. At least SFS has an autobiographical story to it.

I will agree that Unknown Caller is much more interesting.

Overall though, the hate for SFS is out of control a bit. Not an offensive song at all.

At least Crazy Tonight has a memorable, catchy melody. It's dumb but mostly ruined by Bono's ill-advised lapses into falsetto.

SFS sounds like a love theme from a Disney movie that didn't make the cut because it wasn't good enough.

mikal 04-03-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonMelon (Post 8153037)
At least Crazy Tonight has a memorable, catchy melody. It's dumb but mostly ruined by Bono's ill-advised lapses into falsetto.

SFS sounds like a love theme from a Disney movie that didn't make the cut because it wasn't good enough.

The only memorable thing about Crazy Tonight is the Journey knock off guitar intro. It's an absolute embarrassment. SFS. Again, not interesting. But not a complete load of shit like Crazy Tonight. In fact, that song is so bad that I think we can say with 100% certainty that Larry is not on board with it.

Iggy Fizz 04-03-2017 03:02 PM

NLOTH is a U2 album that only the most devoted U2 fans can truly love.

And at the end of the day, this runs counter to everything the band (or at least Bono) are about. They want, to their credit, to make new fans with every release. This is why B insisted on Boots and Crazy Tonight. Although it's unclear why he thought these tracks would have created new fans. To my ears, Crazy is catchy and tolerable, but not desirable. Boots (and SUC) are abominations.

But the real flaw in the album is its overt sense of self-importance. Songs like WAS, Magnificent and yes even MOS just reek of bombast and grandiosity. The middle three were meant to lighten the mood but they just made matters worse, like a sugar cube dropped into a Grand Cru Burgundy (with apologies to Burgundians).

lazarus 04-03-2017 03:57 PM

Bombast and grandiosity is how they became huge. So it's ok on JT but not on No Line?

Iggy Fizz 04-03-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus (Post 8153052)
Bombast and grandiosity is how they became huge. So it's ok on JT but not on No Line?

It's not for me to say whether it was OK or not. The market has decided and apparently did not want much to do with NLOTH.

These are 2 very different albums, from very different eras - for the band, its fans, the world. It is what it is.

trevgreg 04-03-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus (Post 8153052)

WOWY would be an abomination if it was released today then. Just them playing towards "the kids" and all...

lazarus 04-03-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz (Post 8153089)
It's not for me to say whether it was OK or not. The market has decided and apparently did not want much to do with NLOTH.

These are 2 very different albums, from very different eras - for the band, its fans, the world. It is what it is.

It suffered in the market because of the lead single, which was anything but grandiose and bombastic.

Had they released MOS first (which is really only grandiose), it might have been a different story.

BVS 04-03-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz (Post 8153089)

What does your perception of "the market" have to do with anything?

"Bombast and grandiosity" have always been a part of U2's MO. That has nothing to do with market.

Iggy Fizz 04-03-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus (Post 8153106)
It suffered in the market because of the lead single, which was anything but grandiose and bombastic.

Had they released MOS first (which is really only grandiose), it might have been a different story.

please read my post again. I clearly said that the middle three songs - which of course includes the lead single - were included to offset the rest of the album. i.e. to counter the bombast and grandiosity of the rest of the tunes.

but now that you brought it up - Boots is actually a bit bombastic. but there is so much wrong with this song that this is the least of its issues.

Re: MOS. No, it would not have been successful as a lead single. It would have done OK among the U2 flock. But that's about it.

An Cat Gav 04-04-2017 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikal (Post 8152867)
Very good album. Much better if you use this track list.

No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Soon
Breathe
White As Snow
Winter
Fez - Being Born
Cedars Of Lebanon

This would be a top 5 U2 album for me if it had looked for this. Much as I hate SUC and Crazy Tonight I actually quite like Boots but it just doesn't fit on the album, especially this superior version Mikal has listed.

An Cat Gav 04-04-2017 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus (Post 8153106)

Yeah, I agree MOS would have been a perfect move but I can imagine the panic in the boardroom if/when they brought that up, it's a shame if that's what won the day.

It may not have been a huge hit but it would have been the kind of brave curve ball U2 have thrown in the past with their lead singles (WOWY, The Fly, Numb). MOS is a grandiose masterpiece, and grandiose is something U2 usually do really well.

womanfish 04-04-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Cat Gav (Post 8153191)
Yeah, I agree MOS would have been a perfect move but I can imagine the panic in the boardroom if/when they brought that up, it's a shame if that's what won the day.

It may not have been a huge hit but it would have been the kind of brave curve ball U2 have thrown in the past with their lead singles (WOWY, The Fly, Numb). MOS is a grandiose masterpiece, and grandiose is something U2 usually do really well.

Totally disagree. Coming off of the love for HTDAAB, album of the year and all... the perfect play would have been either NLOTH or Magnificent as the lead single. I love MOS, but it would never have come within a mile of a radio station, and just isn't a song that would create interest in an album. Great song for diehard fans, not for 90% of casual fans and about 99% of the general public.

Hollow Island 04-04-2017 08:53 AM

Great:
White as Snow
Cedars of Lebanon
No Line on the Horizon
Soon

Very Good:
Fez (Being Born)
Breathe
Unknown Caller
Moment of Surrender
Winter (Linear version)

Good:
Magnificent

Bad:
Get On Your Boots
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Stand Up Comedy

gonna spin this today after I go for a run

Joey788 04-04-2017 12:22 PM

No Line On The Horizon: the most underrated album?

I haven't listened to the album for a long while but there are the bones of a great record there. Boots really sunk the album. Just a terrible song. Magnificent is decent but I liked the pumped up version they played once on I+E much better than the original. As for Crazy Tonight, I'm glad it exists just for the awesome remix version during 360.

I think the title track stands among their best 21st century rockers, certainly leaps and bounds ahead of The Miracle. It may have made a decent first single. Fez is also a great track, inventive and energetic with wonderfully descriptive lyrics. MOS lives on the strength of Bono's vocal. White as Snow is also a great example of a low-key song done right.

The rest of the album? I can take or leave it.

Roland of Gilead 04-04-2017 06:05 PM

Easily my 2000s+ album of choice. Crazy Tonight live remix and Boots fish out of water top their original forms. SUC is the only skippable track for me. Soon and Winter linear version are nice additions to the playlist. Rich in Edge guitar moments. Solos from MOS and Unknown Caller in particular. Sorely lacking from SOI.