U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/)
-   -   No Line On The Horizon: the most underrated album? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/no-line-on-the-horizon-the-most-underrated-album-220866.html)

corianderstem 04-02-2017 12:46 PM

I love it, and the only song I actively dislike is Stand Up Comedy, which is in my bottom 3 of worst U2 songs.

mikal 04-02-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick66 (Post 8152896)
I don't know that it's U2's most "underrated" record, but it's certainly superior to SOI, given that NLOTH, despite its unevenness, sounds like a band who still has their soul.

I'd argue that they're about the same. Tracks 7-11 and Iris match the greatest moments on NLOTH (tracks 1-4 and Fez).

mikal 04-02-2017 01:04 PM

Unknown Caller and Magnificent have really grown in me over the years. Breathe not so much. Crazy Tonight is such a piece of shit song. I can't even begin to explain how much I hate it.

U2girl 04-02-2017 01:08 PM

It might be.

AndrewCowley 04-03-2017 04:36 AM

I like Crazy Tonight.

There. Someone had to say it.

marshall faulk 04-03-2017 04:41 AM

For me it's an 'ok' album. Very uneven with some really strong songs but too many songs that I gave some benefit of the doubt to at the time of the tour but have not stood the test of time for me.

The middle 3 are the sound of U2 being desperate for a radio hit and are very weak. I consider Unknown Caller to be one of the worst U2 songs of all time, essentially unlistenable.

Breathe, NLOTH, Magnificent and MOS are solid to very good U2 songs.

Overall I'd love to hear this album in whatever state it was in maybe 3-6 months before it was actually released.

dan_smee 04-03-2017 06:08 AM

No Line On The Horizon: the most underrated album?

I feel HTDAAB is given a hard time on here when you listen back, and I know my fellow Aussie fans had a great time listening back a year or two ago.

Re NLoTH - I feel pretty much the same as I always have. I love all but the middle three, and feel that each of them are prime examples of the overcooking phenomenon we talk about. I know they are only beach clips, but Diorama and GOYB from Bono's house sounded so bloody promising. And SUC just wreaks of self doubt, over polish, over riffing, and verbose nonsense rewriting.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

cobl04 04-03-2017 07:31 AM

NLOTH's highs are higher and more exciting but HTDAAB is the better album. It feels lived-in and real to me, whereas some of NLOTH's tracks just smack of a band recutting the songs hundreds of times (Magnificent, Unknown Caller, Boots, Breathe, even Moment of Surrender, great as it is, feels a bit staid). To be fair to SOI there's an element of nostalgia I feel about HTDAAB, it being my first U2 album, but in all honesty I haven't listened to either in years, since that incident Dan is talking about, and I highly doubt I'll listen to either ever again.

Is NLOTH their most underrated? Fuck no it isn't. Boy, October, Rattle & Hum, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop all wipe the fucking floor with it. But there's a lot of good stuff on it. Conversely to the popular opinion here, I think the 'middle three' argument is rubbish. Crazy Tonight is a great pop song that just probably has a little too much sheen, Get On Your Boots sucks but it was awesome live. Magnificent is the album's worst song, and I've believed that for eight years now (FUCK, the album's EIGHT?! years old?!?!). Bono's vocals are shithouse, and his lyrics are even worse, the intro is completely incongruous to the rest of the song, Edge's "solo" wouldn't be fit on a bad Coldplay song, it's that bad. The main riff is pretty great but completely wasted. Adam's bass is a highlight, but when Adam's bass is the best thing about a U2 song you know you're in trouble.

LemonMelon 04-03-2017 07:32 AM

NLOTH is their most underrated album on this forum. Elsewhere, no. There are plenty of superior U2 albums that don't receive credit from the larger population.

cobl04 04-03-2017 07:39 AM

I don't think that's true, I think it's always been well-regarded on this forum, Crazy Tonight-Boots-SUC aside.

cobl04 04-03-2017 07:41 AM

Passengers is definitely their most underrated album here, that's beyond doubt.

*gvox and BVS fall over each other to be the first one to quote my post and whinge it's not a real U2 album*

mikal 04-03-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobl04 (Post 8152970)

*gvox and BVS fall over each other to be the first one to quote my post and whinge it's not a real U2 album*

And Beach Sequence and Always Forever Now might be the most underrated songs.

cobl04 04-03-2017 07:53 AM

Listening to a few NLOTH songs right now. Fez is absolutely phenomenal, as is Cedars of Lebanon. That's the type of shit I want an album of from modern-day U2.

cobl04 04-03-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikal (Post 8152972)
And Beach Sequence and Always Forever Now might be the most underrated songs.

And all jokes/hyperbole aside, they are both genuinely, objectively extremely great songs. It's so sad that no one knows about them.

LemonMelon 04-03-2017 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobl04 (Post 8152969)
I don't think that's true, I think it's always been well-regarded on this forum, Crazy Tonight-Boots-SUC aside.

It really isn't though. It seems as if the vast majority of EYKIW ranks SOI ahead of it although, who knows, maybe the honeymoon phase for that album has ended. I'm not about to run another series of polls to find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobl04 (Post 8152970)

Passengers is underrated but the reasons for underrating it are idiotic and don't have all that much to do with music. Essentially, U2 sycophants are freed from their obligation to kiss ass because of the name technicality, allowing them to file the album as some failed Eno project. If it had been released as a U2 album, it would be as well regarded around here as Pop.