U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Just the Bang and the Clatter (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   The Darkness- Hot Cakes (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/the-darkness-hot-cakes-214380.html)

Von Schloopen 08-31-2012 08:57 PM

The Darkness- Hot Cakes

4 important things here.

First, this video is hysterical. And the songs a kicker.

The Darkness - Everybody Have A Good Time - YouTube

Second, they cover Radiohead as Iron Maiden.

The Darkness - Street Spirit (Fade Out) New Studio Version With Lyrics - YouTube

Third, this cover. Good lord. This cover.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/THE-DARKNESS-...7E%7E60_12.JPG

Fourthly, the entire record is a frigging blast. Big, dumb ROCK. Justin Hawkin's melodies are so familiar, yet so convoluted. I must say, it's a rather strange and wonderful thing. I lost interest in these guys with their second record, but this one, this is the one. So much loud fun.

bono_212 09-01-2012 12:44 AM

I'm really excited to hear this. That lead single's video cracked me the fuck up, and their other album (you know, the one) is pretty great.

Salome 09-01-2012 05:05 AM

Permission to Land was great. If this album is half as good (which One Way Ticket ... wasn't) I'll definitely check it out.

u2popmofo 09-01-2012 09:24 AM

Isn't that Street Spirit cover crazily old?

cobl04 09-01-2012 10:15 AM

It's also awful.

Von Schloopen 09-01-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by u2popmofo (Post 7563742)
Isn't that Street Spirit cover crazily old?

It's on new record. They've been playing it live for a while.

HeartlandGirl 09-02-2012 03:21 AM

I'm definitely waiting on this one--to hear reviews of it from people whose taste I trust.

Von Schloopen 09-02-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl (Post 7563973)
I'm definitely waiting on this one--to hear reviews of it from people whose taste I trust.

You should trust your own taste.

I get the feeling lots of people here are proud of finding their "Their Will Be Blood" of records. Depressing. Sad. Heavy.

Well, this is the "Caddy Shack" of records. Passing it up is your loss. Cause "Caddy Shack" is, at the very least, the equivalent of "Their Will Be Blood."

Fun is underrated.

Danny Boy 09-02-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Schloopen (Post 7564170)
Fun is underrated.

I fear it.

HeartlandGirl 09-03-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Schloopen (Post 7564170)
You should trust your own taste.

I get the feeling lots of people here are proud of finding their "Their Will Be Blood" of records. Depressing. Sad. Heavy.

Well, this is the "Caddy Shack" of records. Passing it up is your loss. Cause "Caddy Shack" is, at the very least, the equivalent of "Their Will Be Blood."

Fun is underrated.

Wow. Thanks for that, life coach.

It's an album by The Darkness, of all bands, and I highly doubt passing it up is "my loss" or makes me a fun hater. There's just so much other fantastic music out there that I have prioritized to check out. Unless a friend tells me this is must-hear music (which I doubt will happen), I'm not planning on really giving it the time of day. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

And yeah, that cover of Street Spirit has been around almost as long as the band itself. It was cool about 8 years ago, so my apologies again for not being all that excited by it, or this album.

ETA: And I think you mean There Will Be Blood, though to be honest, I'm not sure what you're on about here.

IWasBored 09-03-2012 03:13 AM

Von shcloopy's movie post confuses me, becausd im at work and left my magic decoder ring at home. This band was best left in 2004. And that's coming from someone who liked a few tracks from that album for a couple weeks back then. Hearing some idiot in my dorm blast "I believe in a thing called love" or whatever that song was called, several times an hour for days on end is one of my most hated memories from college.

lemonfly 09-03-2012 04:56 AM

The Darkness were great novelty value back in the day, but the joke got tired very quickly. And Hawkins seems like a prick (sorry, all you Hawkins fans out there.) He just doesn't have the talent he likes to think he has to justify his prickishness.

Salome 09-04-2012 02:29 AM

there is no real novelty about The Darkness at all
unless the entire rock genre has all of a sudden become a novelty

just finished listening to Hot Cakes (apparently only the second person in this thread to do so, even though the number of opinions wouldn't suggest this) and first impression is that it's a very good album I will definitely return to
don't think it's as excellent as Permission to Land was, but definitely a big step up from One Way Ticket ....

great rock album
with a bit of fun thrown into it
(not the other way around as people would like to make you think)

:up: :up:

Von Schloopen 09-07-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl (Post 7564225)
Wow. Thanks for that, life coach.

It's an album by The Darkness, of all bands, and I highly doubt passing it up is "my loss" or makes me a fun hater. There's just so much other fantastic music out there that I have prioritized to check out. Unless a friend tells me this is must-hear music (which I doubt will happen), I'm not planning on really giving it the time of day. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

And yeah, that cover of Street Spirit has been around almost as long as the band itself. It was cool about 8 years ago, so my apologies again for not being all that excited by it, or this album.

ETA: And I think you mean There Will Be Blood, though to be honest, I'm not sure what you're on about here.

So much confidence from someone who needs to be told their opinion by others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl (Post 7563973)

Why not decide for yourself what you like?

Von Schloopen 09-07-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWasBored (Post 7564244)
Von shcloopy's movie post confuses me, becausd im at work and left my magic decoder ring at home. This band was best left in 2004. And that's coming from someone who liked a few tracks from that album for a couple weeks back then. Hearing some idiot in my dorm blast "I believe in a thing called love" or whatever that song was called, several times an hour for days on end is one of my most hated memories from college.

Nah.

This new record is fun.

You should listen to it.