U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/trayvon-martins-murderer-george-zimmerman-is-still-a-free-man-213736.html)

deep 03-21-2012 05:12 PM

Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...von-Martin.jpg

http://blacksnob.com/storage/1203130...=1332284006668

trojanchick99 03-21-2012 05:34 PM

This makes me ill. Zimmerman is a danger to society. And that horrid Florida Law needs to be repealed.

deep 03-21-2012 05:39 PM

society? not decent folk or retirees

some people better learn how to behave and stay in their own neighborhoods

trojanchick99 03-21-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep (Post 7491107)
society? not decent folk or retirees

some people better learn how to behave and stay in their own neighborhoods

Well, I know I wouldn't want to be walking near him, especially in the Summer. #TansEasily

anitram 03-21-2012 05:57 PM

The Florida law in question is seriously disturbing.

What a cute kid, such a shame. :(

Axver 03-21-2012 06:40 PM

You know what would be cool?

Context.

trojanchick99 03-21-2012 07:10 PM

Trayvon Martin was an unarmed 17 year old kid walking through a gated community to get to his girlfriend's house and was shot to death by a man acting as a neighborhood watch. The man called 911 before he shot and said the kid looked suspicious. He looked suspicious because he was a black kid wearing a hoodie (it was raining) and there had apparently been robberies in the previous month.

911 told him not to follow, but he did and allegedly there was a confrontation. The 17 year old was much smaller and unarmed but the shooter said he felt threatened so he shot. In Florida there is a law called "Stand Your Ground" which allows people to use deadly force if they feel threatened.

The police have yet to arrest the shooter. As you can imagine it's created a bit of a firestorm here.

Here is an overview: Trayvon Martin Case: Timeline of Events - ABC News

cobl04 03-21-2012 07:11 PM

It sounds to me like if you shoot someone dead in Florida you can just say "self-defence! He threatened me!" and get off free?

trojanchick99 03-21-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobl04 (Post 7491170)
It sounds to me like if you shoot someone dead in Florida you can just say "self-defence! He threatened me!" and get off free?

Just about. Hell, apparently, you can have a gun duel and the winner gets off scott free.

If I were Trayvon and someone was following me with a gun, I'd probably fight back too. That's the sick part. Because this unarmed kid felt threatened by an armed man much bigger than he, Zimmerman can now claim self defense and get away with murder. It's completely fucked up.

PhilsFan 03-21-2012 07:28 PM

I've seen it reported that Zimmerman is a Hispanic man, not a white man, so this is not exactly a case of "crazy white guy with guns hates all minorities" sort of situation.

BVS 03-21-2012 07:46 PM

Only white people are racist?

PhilsFan 03-21-2012 08:00 PM

That's clearly not what I'm saying.

Moonlit_Angel 03-21-2012 08:13 PM

Ohhhh, yeah, those sorts of laws are always handled SO well. Never ever problematic at all.

Yeah. This story is disturbing on so many levels. I heard the 911 call from Zimmerman on some show-there was a bit where he made a comment about the kid that was bleeped, what he said there, I'm curious to know.

I also heard he'd been known to make...what was it, 50 calls, or something, to the police within the year prior, all of which turned out to be false. So it sounds like this guy's got a bit, to put it mildly, of a complex about him as it is. I've no doubt there was some racial factor in here, but I also get the feeling this guy would've been this reckless with anyone who "looked suspicious" for any reason, racial or otherwise.

I feel horrible for Trayvon's family.

GirlsAloudFan 03-21-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel (Post 7491202)
I heard the 911 call from Zimmerman on some show-there was a bit where he made a comment about the kid that was bleeped, what he said there, I'm curious to know.

During the 911 call, he says: "These assholes...they always get away."

And then later in the call, slightly under his breath, he says: "Fucking coons."

Pretty incriminating to me. Seems like he was a confused and angry racist with a gun, and Trayvon Martin was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

BoMac 03-21-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trojanchick99 (Post 7491169)

When I read this:
Quote:

Martin is unresponsive and pronounced dead at the scene. He has no weapons on him, only a pack of Skittles and a bottle of iced tea. Zimmerman tells police he killed Martin in self defense. Taking him at his word, police do not arrest him, nor administer a drug or alcohol test. They also did not run a background check.
It's almost like the cops just said "Oh, okay, thanks. You can go now."

What an insane law.