U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Just the Bang and the Clatter (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   Grinderman (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/grinderman-207757.html)

UnforgettableLemon 09-15-2010 06:08 PM

Grinderman

There's a Nick Cave thread buried somewhere on here, but this is a different beast. The second Grinderman album is amazing, for those who haven't heard. "Bellringer Blues" is my new favorite song of the year.

More thoughts to come, but - for those of you who didn't love the first album, give this one a chance. It's still completely unhinged, but the songs are much more cohesive and consistent.

Saracene 09-15-2010 06:25 PM

I hope to get around to listening to the album this weekend. The first one was pretty good for a side project, though not in the league of Nick's usual gang.

martha 09-15-2010 11:26 PM

I loved the first one. I, too, should get to listen to the new one sometime this weekend. Although I'll have some time tomorrow afternoon. :hmm:

I get to see them at the end of November. :)

lazarus 09-16-2010 03:20 AM

I don't really have anything to say about this new album, but today I finally got around to buying a copy of Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus in that nice little box edition. $10 used.

Still probably my favorite Cave release.

UnforgettableLemon 09-16-2010 07:03 AM

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus was my favorite Bad Seeds album for a long time, but I think it's now somwhere around 4th.

1. The Boatman's Call
2. Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!
3. No More Shall We Part
4. Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
5. Henry's Dream

etc.

The new Grinderman has a bit more of a Bad Seeds feel in the sense that it's a touch more organic and melodic. Still batshit crazy, too, though. Check out "Kitchenette."

LemonMelon 09-20-2010 01:37 PM

2 is fucking badass. I never heard Grinderman's debut, but this album feels totally confident and lived-in.

Evil is a spooky, suffocating dance party and is probably my favorite. Heathen Child is ludicrous and certainly worthy of lead single status. Everything else is just...woah.

Also, Let Love In is the best Bad Seeds album. Just saying.

martha 09-20-2010 06:26 PM

Love 2 very much. The first one is also quite great.

Saracene 10-24-2010 02:35 AM

I like the new album a great lot! :up: Heaps more than the debut - that one made me go, ok that's not bad for a side project, now go back and make a proper Bad Seeds record. On 2 they sound like they really come into their own as a band, and I'm excited at the prospect of hearing these songs live.

cobl04 10-24-2010 03:35 AM

i'm gonna get on this. i have a disturbingly low knowledge of a man lauded as one of our country's greats.

djerdap 10-24-2010 05:27 PM

I liked the 1st album very much - No Pussy Blues is definitely a Cave classic, but this 2nd album is much more consistent and rocks even more, but also shows a lot more diversity (a song like Palaces of Montezuma came out of nowhere for example). Probably my favorite of the year behind High Violet and This is Happening.

Popmartijn 10-24-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobl04 (Post 7006104)
i'm gonna get on this. i have a disturbingly low knowledge of a man lauded as one of our country's greats.

Yeah, dive into Nick Cave. Keep in mind though that his early stuff and what he's doing now with Grinderman is quite chaotic (in a loud way). Nothing wrong with that, just not to everyone's liking. With his Bad Seeds he became a bit more structured over the years (starting from The Good Son onwards or so). I think his The Boatman's Call is a highlight. It's mainly piano ballads on that record, but of the excellent kind.
:)

Catman 10-24-2010 10:12 PM

The Good Son :drool:

cobl04 10-25-2010 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popmartijn (Post 7006861)
Yeah, dive into Nick Cave. Keep in mind though that his early stuff and what he's doing now with Grinderman is quite chaotic (in a loud way). Nothing wrong with that, just not to everyone's liking. With his Bad Seeds he became a bit more structured over the years (starting from The Good Son onwards or so). I think his The Boatman's Call is a highlight. It's mainly piano ballads on that record, but of the excellent kind.
:)

Murder Ballads and Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues are also on the list.

i guess it's just taken some of us a long time to get over him murdering Kylie

Saracene 10-25-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobl04 (Post 7007570)
Murder Ballads and Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues are also on the list.

:up:

I'd also add Let Love In.

martha 10-25-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobl04 (Post 7007570)
Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues are also on the list.

You should consider going without food to save up to get this asap.