U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Even Better Than The Real Thing ?? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f197/)
-   -   Newbie needs a bit of help (Korg A2 Vs A3) (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f197/newbie-needs-a-bit-of-help-korg-a2-vs-a3-206863.html)

Antz 07-22-2010 10:46 PM

Newbie needs a bit of help (Korg A2 Vs A3)
 
Hello Everyone,

I've just recently decided that instead of expanding my ever growing set of FX pedals, i should move into the Rack Unit based processors,

now my question is this,

to get an 'edge'-ey sound (ala MW, The Fly, etc) would i be better off getting the A2 or the A3.

Aswell as the technical details that I'm sure i'll get as replies, most importantly I'm looking for information on how easy these are to use in a live situation. Are they both MIDI capable (if you own one/both how are they to live with)

(sorry for the dumb questions, i'm just getting into the rack side of things, i'm just trying to get my head around MIDI at the minute, not to mention efficient Rack Design :P)

Thanks,

Anthony

quadcaster 07-23-2010 08:00 AM

Edge uses the A3 for those sounds, so naturally using the gear he uses will get you closest to the sound he gets. A3 is Midi capable, duno bout A2.

Edge_Orchestra 07-23-2010 10:23 AM

A2 or A3 alone isn't the key.

You will need the SPC-01 card. That has the sounds for "Mysterious Ways", "Numb", "Lady With The Spinning Head"...

But you can also download those in SYSEX files from korgaseries.org: home.

Check that site. You might find the answer that help your decision.

mirrorballman 07-25-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra (Post 6850225)
A2 or A3 alone isn't the key.

You will need the SPC-01 card. That has the sounds for "Mysterious Ways", "Numb", "Lady With The Spinning Head"...

But you can also download those in SYSEX files from korgaseries.org: home.

Check that site. You might find the answer that help your decision.

If I'm not mistaken the A2 doesn't even need the card as it has the cards already stored in memory.

Edge uses the A3, but if you get an A2 soundwise it won't make a difference as long as you have the right presets and figgle around with them a bit. The A3 is a great little thing, just for "Mysterious Ways" it's totally worth it! You won't get that sound anywhere.

As to MIDI: A2 and A3 both are MIDI controlled. I'd recommend the Korg FC6, but it's hard to hunt down nowadays so you might have to either wait it out or look elsewhere.

Edge_Orchestra 07-25-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirrorballman (Post 6852487)
If I'm not mistaken the A2 doesn't even need the card as it has the cards already stored in memory.

Edge uses the A3, but if you get an A2 soundwise it won't make a difference as long as you have the right presets and figgle around with them a bit. The A3 is a great little thing, just for "Mysterious Ways" it's totally worth it! You won't get that sound anywhere.

As to MIDI: A2 and A3 both are MIDI controlled. I'd recommend the Korg FC6, but it's hard to hunt down nowadays so you might have to either wait it out or look elsewhere.

I don't know that I'd recomment the Korg FC6. I've not heard good things about it.

The Ground Control is a good controller.

And even better is the Liquid Foot. We use the Liquid Foot Pro with Joshua Tree (LA based U2 tribute - I'm Chas' tech). Very versatile.

Mick from Unforgettable Fire (NY) Uses the Liquid Foot Jr., and that works great too. So either should control your effects nicely.

quadcaster 07-28-2010 11:59 PM

I'd recommend Ground Control. I use one and its great!

However the Liquid foots are way better and have many features that I would like to have :)

Edge_Orchestra 07-30-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadcaster (Post 6856573)
I'd recommend Ground Control. I use one and its great!

However the Liquid foots are way better and have many features that I would like to have :)

Check out the Liquid Foot Jr.

Cheaper and smaller than the pro but still very flexible. Mick from The Unforgettable Fire uses the Jr.

If he can run all his stuff in a tribute with a Jr - might work for you too?

Antz 08-01-2010 10:00 PM

i was looking into the liquid foot pro/jr (not sure which i was going to go for) but there seems to be a problem with ordering them at the moment would you still recommend joining the waiting list for one?

it's a bit irrelevant at the moment, the A3 is on the way and should be with me in the next 48-72 hours as the first part of my rack next month I'm aiming to add at least one delay unit to it. then i'll probably head into the midi controller side of things before it gets to the point of insanity.

A80S 07-05-2011 01:02 PM

Hi, can you please answer this question (i'm not able to find an answer anywhere), that's it.. I know the a2/a3 have an audible gap when changing presets via pedalboard but this gap is even audible if i'm using the remote controller cable with fc6 controller or a standard midi controller (via midi cable)?
Or maybe the only difference between the fc6 and a normal midi controller is that the first can be phantom powered?

And last: I know the a2 has all the expandible a3 card stored in it..but, if i want to load other presets (created by users you find on internet) via sysex, this delete the stored presets or are added?


Thank you!!!:wave:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com