U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Even Better Than The Real Thing ?? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f197/)
-   -   memory man deluxe (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f197/memory-man-deluxe-206223.html)

dedarkz 05-27-2010 05:07 PM

memory man deluxe
 
hey, this is my first time posting here and i was wondering if i could get some help from you guys

long story short, i randomly started listening to u2, and became a bit obsessed, started doin some research on how to get the edges sound, and i thought i had it all figured out. so i wanted to get a similar sound, without spendin a huge amount of cash, so i went out and bought a EH memory man deluxe.
but heres the thing, i cant really get it to give a good delay. the delay is short and just doesnt last long, and the song i really want to replicate as best i can, is where the streets have no name. so i wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the memory man deluxe and could tell me aprox where the knobs on the pedal should be, i read the pedals instructions but they didnt make a whole lot of sense to me and i toyed around with it for quite awhile and couldnt come up with anything decent..so yeah any help is appreciated!

mirrorballman 05-27-2010 06:05 PM

Unfortunately it's a tough question to answer, as each Memory Man seems to have its own approximate delay time (ranging somewhere between 380 - 460 ms). Another important question would be: Do you have an old DMM or the newer XO version (which just don't have the same sound as the older bigger units).

Anywho, to give you an approximate suggestion for (let's say) Streets: 365ms, 3-4 strong repeats.

Chorus: Completely off or really just a very small hint (personally prefer a little vibrato)
Delay: Just about the 12 o' clock position. Again, depends on your DMM. With mine, it's a bit to the left. Listen to some Streets version (for instance Boston DVD) where Edge mute-strums at the beginning of the song, there you can really hear the delay well.
Feedback: About 11 o' clock. When you strum you should hear at least 2-3 repeats (you won't get more than 2 strong repeats with the DMM, Streets has about 3-4)
Blend: 9 o'clock position --> 50/50
Level: 7 o'clock position always does it for me, I tempt to overload alot otherwise.

Again, play around with the DMM. It's a great device and just needs some practice. Once you get the hang of it, you'll get some amazing tunes out of it. Anything prior to "The Joshua Tree" sounds just about right with the Memory Man. You'll obviously still be able to replicate alot of new tunes as well, but the digital units Edge uses nowadays just sounds much different (and has much longer delay times, e.g. Miracle Drug, which you won't be able to play with the DMM. Except if you pimp it up by Analogman or something).

Hope this helps. Have fun with the Memory Man!

dedarkz 05-27-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirrorballman (Post 6779422)
Unfortunately it's a tough question to answer, as each Memory Man seems to have its own approximate delay time (ranging somewhere between 380 - 460 ms). Another important question would be: Do you have an old DMM or the newer XO version (which just don't have the same sound as the older bigger units).

Anywho, to give you an approximate suggestion for (let's say) Streets: 365ms, 3-4 strong repeats.

Chorus: Completely off or really just a very small hint (personally prefer a little vibrato)
Delay: Just about the 12 o' clock position. Again, depends on your DMM. With mine, it's a bit to the left. Listen to some Streets version (for instance Boston DVD) where Edge mute-strums at the beginning of the song, there you can really hear the delay well.
Feedback: About 11 o' clock. When you strum you should hear at least 2-3 repeats (you won't get more than 2 strong repeats with the DMM, Streets has about 3-4)
Blend: 9 o'clock position --> 50/50
Level: 7 o'clock position always does it for me, I tempt to overload alot otherwise.

Again, play around with the DMM. It's a great device and just needs some practice. Once you get the hang of it, you'll get some amazing tunes out of it. Anything prior to "The Joshua Tree" sounds just about right with the Memory Man. You'll obviously still be able to replicate alot of new tunes as well, but the digital units Edge uses nowadays just sounds much different (and has much longer delay times, e.g. Miracle Drug, which you won't be able to play with the DMM. Except if you pimp it up by Analogman or something).

Hope this helps. Have fun with the Memory Man!

well when i bought it online it said the was the older one but now that i have it im really not sure..i want to say its the newer XO one, which is a little upsetting because i had read, like you said, the older ones have a better sound to them.

but anyway, after hearing what you've said, do you have any opinions on the boss dd20 digital delay? i went to my guitar shop today and tried it out, I got a better delay out of that but the tone was iffy, but i wasnt able to get a good streets sound out of it but i didnt have very much time to toy with it either.

and thanks a bunch for the info + quick reply!

theedgeu2 05-27-2010 10:01 PM

I don't own one but have messed with a Boss DD20 for quite a bit. I don't about Streets on that one but it does U2 great! There's a guy on YouTube by the username "u2john316" and he uses the DD20 in a lot of his videos. He does a ton of U2 videos. Even got the streets sound with a memory man! I can't link it right now though, sorry. I think it was called something like "U2 Sounds with Memory Man". His channel is great. I can't lend you much help with either delays since the one I use is different. Best of luck to you with finding that sound.:wave:

dedarkz 05-28-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theedgeu2 (Post 6779633)
I don't own one but have messed with a Boss DD20 for quite a bit. I don't about Streets on that one but it does U2 great! There's a guy on YouTube by the username "u2john316" and he uses the DD20 in a lot of his videos. He does a ton of U2 videos. Even got the streets sound with a memory man! I can't link it right now though, sorry. I think it was called something like "U2 Sounds with Memory Man". His channel is great. I can't lend you much help with either delays since the one I use is different. Best of luck to you with finding that sound.:wave:

awesome.
thanks dude!

mirrorballman 05-28-2010 04:39 AM

Actually, if you want to get close to the Edge's current sound, you're better off buying the TC Nova Delay. Costs just a bit more than the Boss DD-20, but 1. has a warmer sound IMO and 2. Edge uses the rack TC on tour, so it'll get close to the actual sound!

the tourist 05-28-2010 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirrorballman (Post 6779958)
Actually, if you want to get close to the Edge's current sound, you're better off buying the TC Nova Delay. Costs just a bit more than the Boss DD-20, but 1. has a warmer sound IMO and 2. Edge uses the rack TC on tour, so it'll get close to the actual sound!

I totally vouch for this. I've got the Nova Delay and it's amazing. :wave:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com