U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/)
-   -   So, DO you like How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or not? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/so-do-you-like-how-to-dismantle-an-atomic-bomb-or-not-203832.html)

Galeongirl 12-08-2009 03:48 PM

So, DO you like How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or not?

Time to finally get some good stats here...

Jarvio 12-08-2009 03:52 PM

I love it, it just scrapes my top 5 (maybe top 4 if it's lucky), so I voted for the top option. I don't get why it's so hated

coolian2 12-08-2009 04:10 PM

which is the "i don't like it" option?

GirlsAloudFan 12-08-2009 04:15 PM

Those are strange poll options, but I guess the second one is closest to my view even though it's not how I would have worded my response. Yes, I do like the album. It came out at the peak of my U2 fandom, so I have some nice memories associated with that album era. City of Blinding Lights is one of the best things the band has done in the last 15 years. Vertigo was a fun lead single done right. And I've always loved OOTS and the sentiment behind it. I quite liked Sometimes and Miracle Drug way back when but I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to those tracks.

super fly guy 12-08-2009 04:24 PM

I love it as it was the first U2 album i had a big build up to,wasnt a huge fan before that. Its in my top five anyway,and so is no line.

Saracene 12-08-2009 04:25 PM

Yeah, I like it. It's one of the very few U2 albums I can listen to from start to finish without skipping, and though none of the songs are among my big favourites there's no track that I dislike either.

Andreianloth 12-08-2009 04:49 PM

I love it! Definitely one of my favourites.
(after AB,NLOTH and ATYCLB):D

waynetravis 12-08-2009 04:52 PM

Not too great, but still not awful.

theedgeu2 12-08-2009 04:52 PM

I love it. Good, nice little album. I have a ton of memories with it and have it at No. 3 just after AB and JT. This album was done great! I got about this time in 04 so I always associate Atomic Bomb with Christmas and always listen to it all the way through at Christmas. Since I don't listen to Christmas music I consider HTDAAB my Christmas music.:lol: Sad isn't it? Anyway, I voted for the first option, as that's the truth. I will stand up for this album.

Here's my top five:

Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
No Line On The Horizon
Zooropa

Sicy 12-08-2009 04:59 PM

http://www.u2interference.com/forums...ab-192956.html

Chill Mike D 12-08-2009 05:01 PM

I almost never listen to anything pre-Unforgettable Fire. War isn't even on my Ipod.

Everything from UF on out is on my Ipod, and I'd say HTDAAB is by far the one I listen to the least. So, I'm not sure I'll call it their worst album, but it's in the running for it. Who can plumb the depths of the human soul? Also.

Salome 12-08-2009 05:11 PM

about the only U2 album that actually grew on me
still in the bottom of my personal U2 favourite list, but good album anyway

coolian2 12-08-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicy (Post 6556320)

12 or 13 people indeed.

Niceman 12-08-2009 05:12 PM

1 - Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree
1.5 - NLOTH
2 - Unforgettable Fire, POP, Rattle and Hum,
3- Boy, HTDAAB
4 -October, War, Zooropa, Passengers
5 -ATYCLB

coolian2 12-08-2009 05:16 PM

i just saw in the old thread that my exact answer in this thread (er, had i posted it) was my exact answer in that old thread.

it's better than atyclb. but then again, it's like saying syphilis is better than gonorrhea.

God Part III 12-08-2009 05:25 PM

Worst piece of shit they ever made.
Still, by U2 standards, so the album is still technically good. But not at all that good.

jacobus 12-08-2009 05:29 PM

its not a piece, its a mountain of shit => MOS :lol:

alanah 12-08-2009 05:36 PM

As I said in another thread, yes, I just like it! but I have NO love for this album.

RedRocksU2 12-08-2009 05:40 PM

I love this album.

digitize 12-08-2009 05:49 PM

It's awful. I voted for the last option, because I don't like the album at all, but in truth there is one U2 album that offends me more (R&H).

My opinions about each song (must keep that fact reinforced):
Vertigo is mindless garbage
Miracle Drug is boring, as middle-of-the-road-without-putting-in-any-effort as U2 have ever gotten... the only thing that interests me is Edge's singing, and it doesn't really interest me.
SYCMIOYO has nice intentions, but always comes off as trying too hard to sound overly sappy to me, and is essentially like plastic.
LAPOE is by far my least favorite U2 anti-war anthem, mainly because it's lyrically pompous and occasionally cheesy. Edge's guitar and the Eno/Lanois production are good, but that can hardly make a song for me.
City of Blinding Lights is one of my favorite songs by anyone ever. Shining gem of the album.
All Because Of You is absolute shit.
A Man and a Woman... nothing wrong with the song, but nothing right with it, either.
One Step Closer... I like the song, especially lyrically, but it's not interesting enough for me to want to listen to a lot.
OOTS... again, I like the song, and I listen to it occasionally. But its cheese can sometimes get on my nerves, and it's not an overly interesting song.
I also like Yahweh... the album version (the acoustic version is just okay, and I loathe the demo version). But not interesting enough to warrant my attention more than occasionally.
Fast Cars is pointless.

So... yeah... not an album that I really like. I don't like any of the demos in particular either (either than X&W's "fun value", but that doesn't make me really like the song), so I'd blame it on raw lack of songwriting aptitude/raw intellect/inspiration combined with Lillywhite coming up with the most in-your-face production possible and then jacking the volume up twice as high as it can go on every track.

I must reinforce, however, that this is all in my opinion.