U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/)
-   -   Too Fat for the Boy Scouts? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/too-fat-for-the-boy-scouts-197403.html)

deep 05-08-2009 02:55 AM

Too Fat for the Boy Scouts?
 
Quote:

Too Fat for the Boy Scouts? New Weight Requirement Angers Some
New Requirements Ban Longtime Volunteers From Scouting Events

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ht_la..._090505_mn.jpg

By SARAH NETTER
May 6, 2009—


Larry Armstrong has been volunteering with his local Boy Scout branch for years, chaperoning trips, serving on the council committee, even becoming certified in archery instruction for a day camp.

But Armstrong, at 6-foot, 2-inches tall and about 370 pounds, may no longer qualify for some scout outings because he's overweight, part of a new push by the national organization to ensure the scouts and their volunteers are healthy.

A new mandatory weight requirement by the national Boy Scouts of America that will take effect next January has some longtime volunteers concerned they will be left out of trips they've enjoyed with their sons for years.

According to the chart outlined in the national health and medical record form, Armstrong's weight must come down to a minimum of 239 pounds before he'll be allowed on certain "high adventure" trips that take him more than 30 minutes away from emergency care by ground transportation.

"It looks like they're trying to get the perfect person," said Armstrong, who volunteers with Troop 458 out of Chapmansboro, Tenn. "And that's not going to happen."

Is fat a life style chioce or did God make them that way?

Too Fat for the Boy Scouts? New Weight Requirement Angers Some - ABC News

A_Wanderer 05-08-2009 03:00 AM

Fat is a safety issue, homosexuality is a first amendment issue.

martha 05-08-2009 07:48 AM

Fat is a choice. It's too bad if fat people are offended by safety and health requirements; the rest of us are tired of making adjustments for their gluttony.

anitram 05-08-2009 08:42 AM

Well it seems like they are placing reasonable restrictions on only a certain (probably small) number of activities where health issues may arise so I'm not sure that they're not justified in doing so.

BVS 05-08-2009 08:49 AM

But damnit he's straight.:angry:

Galeongirl 05-08-2009 10:38 AM

Sounds like a good plan! Sets a good example for the kids that safety comes first and it'd less of a risk.

A stor 05-08-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVS (Post 6137942)
But damnit he's straight.:angry:

:lol:

deep 05-08-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galeongirl (Post 6138018)
Sounds like a good plan! Sets a good example for the kids.


By telling a boy it puts people at risk to include his father :huh:


Do they let the fat father drive a car load of scouts to meetings and other events?
Driving while under the influence great risk of heart attack?

pgv 05-08-2009 04:38 PM

I don't get how they're going to implement this without upsetting a lot of people. How fat is too fat? And will there be something at the other end of the scale saying some people are too thin? What about people with health problems that cause them to be overweight?

I don't think this is the best way to go about things.

deep 05-08-2009 05:12 PM

I think they have managed just fine all these years with self regulation


i think 380 pound fathers don't volunteer to go on 15 mile hikes, kayaking and water skiing trips

what about the fathers or step-fathers that are 70 years old.

we can't regulate everything

sometimes common sense should be enough
it does seem a bit wrong to label some of the kid's fathers defective?


kids aren't stupid, they know who is fat, who has asthma, who is a hemophiliac

I think these people with conditions that limit what they can participate in are best left to decide for themselves

Pearl 05-08-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha (Post 6137900)
Fat is a choice. It's too bad if fat people are offended by safety and health requirements; the rest of us are tired of making adjustments for their gluttony.

But what about those who see obesity as an illness? People such as Carnie Wilson have said to eat excessively, especially for emotional reasons, is an illness that needs to be taken care of.

If obesity is an illness, then I see it as no different as being an alcoholic or drug addict. Some people have unhealthy, addictive ways to combating their emotional pain. It also may be hereditary.

martha 05-08-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl (Post 6138696)
But what about those who see obesity as an illness? People such as Carnie Wilson have said to eat excessively, especially for emotional reasons, is an illness that needs to be taken care of.


Then take care of it. I've read a few of her things, but no one can tell me all these fat people have all these excuses. Stop eating. Just stop. Very few other countries have as many fat people as the US does, so I guess just the US is full of emotional damaged people who need to be gluttons?

And the countries that are getting fatter aren't doing it because they're fucked up, they're getting fatter because they eat too much food.

pgv 05-08-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha (Post 6138704)
Then take care of it. I've read a few of her things, but no one can tell me all these fat people have all these excuses. Stop eating. Just stop. Very few other countries have as many fat people as the US does, so I guess just the US is full of emotional damaged people who need to be gluttons?

And the countries that are getting fatter aren't doing it because they're fucked up, they're getting fatter because they eat too much food.

I can't tell if you're being ironic here or not...? :lol:

Obesity is an eating disorder - would you talk so flippantly of someone with anorexia? :confused:

BVS 05-08-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partygirlvox (Post 6138750)
Obesity is an eating disorder - would you talk so flippantly of someone with anorexia? :confused:

True, but would you want an anorexic in a position where physical stamina was needed? I think you would want an anorexic to get treatment before playing any kind of role like this...

Anorexia is an eating disorder, no question. But I do think obesity is different, and I agree it's a difficult call, there are some where obesity may be caused by disease and there are others where it's caused by ignorance, laziness, or just pure gluttony.

But, I think the "fat is a choice" was definately a flippant remark addressing the BSA stance on homosexuals.

martha 05-08-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partygirlvox (Post 6138750)
I can't tell if you're being ironic here or not...? :lol:

Obesity is an eating disorder - would you talk so flippantly of someone with anorexia? :confused:

I'm not being ironic at all. Not everyone who is fat has an eating disorder. Most of them are just fat because they eat too much food.

martha 05-08-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVS (Post 6138779)

But, I think the "fat is a choice" was definately a flippant remark addressing the BSA stance on homosexuals.

Partially, but I meant that overeating is a choice people make.

BVS 05-08-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha (Post 6138783)
Partially, but I meant that overeating is a choice people make.

To be honest, I don't know for certainty...

I don't think it's always OVEReating, but just ignorant of what they are eating.

But like I said before, I think there are several reasons for being obese, and many are voluntary.

martha 05-08-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVS (Post 6138798)
I don't think it's always OVEReating, but just ignorant of what they are eating.

It's overeating in most cases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVS (Post 6138798)
But like I said before, I think there are several reasons for being obese, and many are voluntary.

Agreed.

anitram 05-08-2009 08:52 PM

Bad, overprocessed food and too much of it, no physical activity, cities organized into sprawling subdivisions so nobody can walk anywhere, snacking on high calorie foods all day long, kids having TVs in bedrooms with video games at the age of 5 instead of being outside, etc, etc.

I grew up in Europe and I can honestly remember 2 "fat" kids in my class at school, and both of them had one parent who was not obese, but was probably close to it. I think that genetics likely did play a significant role there. My brother is a teacher now and he says half the kids are fat, that's certainly a stunning difference, and one that can be attributed largely to personal choices.

Galeongirl 05-09-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha (Post 6138780)
I'm not being ironic at all. Not everyone who is fat has an eating disorder. Most of them are just fat because they eat too much food.

Agreed. I watched Supersize me, and heard stories from many many people who went to the US. It shocked me how HUGE your portions are, the sodas(our large isn't even close to the US small!) and that kind of stuff. It's one part of the problem how BIG the portions are, another is the kind of food. I'm not saying we don't eat fast food over here, but I am saying that people don't eat it every day or even every week here.


And Deep, I more meant that it's a good example to kids that if you are that fat, you can't go on hikes and such because it's a health risk. That way it's more a reminder for kids that 'If I want to do this at later age, I must not get fat'. That kinda thing.
Ofcourse these fat people can drive their kids and whatnot, it's just that they don't do the stuff that's dangerous for them. What an impact would it have on a child to see a parent of either themselves or their friends get a heart attack in front of them while they're doing some heavy physical stuff?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com