U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/)
-   -   Bono called Chris Martin a wanker... (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/bono-called-chris-martin-a-wanker-194459.html)

BVS 02-28-2009 06:18 PM

Bono called Chris Martin a wanker...

I'm suprised I haven't seen this posted in here, it's the kind of thing that interference usually implodes over...

U2's Bono stuns Radio 1 listeners by calling Chris Martin a w****r live on air | The Sun |Showbiz|Bizarre

Salome 02-28-2009 06:27 PM

I would guess even Gwyneth calls him a wanker :shrug:

Z00rop@83 02-28-2009 06:29 PM

for some reason this just doesnt seem real to me....isn't the Sun like a rag of a magazine anyway?

corianderstem 02-28-2009 06:33 PM

It happened during one of the performances/interviews the other day, so it was talked about in that thread.

Sadly, Bono immediately said that he was kidding.

lauramullen 02-28-2009 06:35 PM

I heard it was a joke

Dragonfave 02-28-2009 06:43 PM

Now Perez Hilton is getting into it :lol:

Perez Hilton: Bono Hits Chris Martin With A Low Blow

Hallucination 02-28-2009 06:48 PM

Seems fake to me. Bono likely said it tongue in cheek. Completely sarcastic I bet.

Montrose 02-28-2009 06:53 PM

Here's how I heard it:

Bono said he's gifted, but a wanker. The host asked him to apologize because, mainly, 'wanker' is a swear-word in the UK and you can't say that live. Bono, who was probably just ribbing one of his cohorts with the comment, got surly and retorted in the vein of "ok then, he's a dysfunctional cretin. That better?". Host still didn't like it, so later in the interview, Bono kinda said, "Ah, fine, he's a good guy, happy"

Trouble is, in print, it sounds way more passive-aggressive, and I'm sure the interwebs will be all aflame about it. In that context, probably not great for the band. On the other hand, finally, some sparring amongst top bands. Been too long!

razredge 02-28-2009 07:07 PM

I hope he is kidding, Chris Martin may not be all that well liked, but he is an avid fan of U2, and gives the band a lot of props and deference. ie. His Q awards acceptance speech where he said CP were the best band in the world, but only until U2 came back from holiday.

Jack Bauer 02-28-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Radio 1 also apologised on-air immediately after Bono used an expletive to describe Coldplay's lead singer Chris Martin. The BBC said it had received no complaints about it.
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | U2 play surprise rooftop concert
Just read it, was just about to make a thread about it too.
Like Ross said last night, "You can't be both":lol:

bonoz 02-28-2009 07:26 PM

I hope he really wasn't kidding. Bono just went up a couple of notches in my bad-ass list. Chris Martin indeed is a wanker. Just because he's an ^ avid U2 fan doesn't make it impossible to be a wanker. Plenty of people on this website alone are giant wankers. Avid U2 fan and wanker - not oxymorons to each other.

bonoz 02-28-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauramullen (Post 5940131)
I heard it was a joke

I heard it was the truth!

coolian2 02-28-2009 07:28 PM

there's plenty of avid u2 fans who are wankers.

coldplay don't offend me enough to get excited about this, in the unlikely event of it being serious.

bonoz 02-28-2009 07:30 PM

Is there an audio version of this? because if there is I'm putting that on my answering machine, as my alarm, my phone ringer, my sms ringer. Best thing he's said since "They’re not there in the beginning but when your story ends, Gonna last with you longer than your friend". Cheers.

Achtung_CJ 02-28-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonoz (Post 5940313)
Is there an audio version of this? because if there is I'm putting that on my answering machine, as my alarm, my phone ringer, my sms ringer.

Ahahahaha seconded.

And yeah he was joking/being sarcastic, I assume. U2.com has the entire interview transcript here.

Vlad n U 2 02-28-2009 07:39 PM

:ohmy:

I really don't know what to say.

Right now I can imagine Chris Martin ripping up his U2 posters in his bedroom. :wink:

MikeyJB 02-28-2009 08:04 PM

I was listening live and did a huge double take before bursting out laughing. Bono was totally having a joke and just got caught out, however, the more I think about it, the more I think it may have been a very cunning publicity stunt to wind up the BBC whilst it is recovering from recent 'scandals'. If it was it has certainly worked to drum up publicity, possibly even more so than the rooftop gig.

Dragonfave 02-28-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonoz (Post 5940313)
Is there an audio version of this?

YouTube - Chris Martin Is A Wanker Says U2 Bono Live On Radio 1 With Jo Whiley! (Jokingly)

LemonMelon 02-28-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallucination (Post 5940189)
Seems fake to me. Bono likely said it tongue in cheek. Completely sarcastic I bet.

Probably so, but he really had nothing to apologize for. :wink:

flybabe 02-28-2009 08:30 PM

Yeah!! :hyper: Just what I needed to hear all along,from the man himself no less :love:

I would have basically told him to piss off if I had to do anything with him...:tsk: