U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Zoo Station (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f293/)
-   -   Anime and/or manga lovers? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f293/anime-and-or-manga-lovers-193069.html)

youtooellen 02-05-2009 08:51 AM

Anime and/or manga lovers?

Don't hate on the cartoons speaking in different languages. :wink:
Perhaps good recommendations?

Right now, I watch Bleach and Naruto-- the only two shows that I'm always updated with.
Other shows I saw/recommend:

- Death Note (Japanese version is beyond better than the shitty American rendition)
- Elfien Lied (incredible show... so fucking twisted that it's great)
- Serial Experiments Lain (similar to the Matrix concept but pretty intense; slow show but very thought-provoking)
- Paranoia Agent (I haven't watched it yet but it sounds pretty cool, a lot of people recommend it, so I thought about recommending it.. haha)

A bunch that I have on my 'Anime to watch' list are: One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Gantz, Chobits, Gunslinger Girl, and so on.

I searched the threads in the past and found one anime-related topic.... from 2003. I thought about bumping it, but I figured I could just start an updated version.

So any fans out here?

(If you want to insult the topic, please, leave this thread. There are some who thoroughly enjoy it.)

:)

elevated_u2_fan 02-05-2009 09:05 AM

I likes me some Anime...

I have barely seen any of the newer ones but off the top of my head besides the holy trilogy of Anime (Akira, Ghost In The Shell and Princess Mononoke) I have seen:

-Berserk
-Rurouni Kenshin
-X
-Fruits Basket
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Escaflowne
-Trigun
-Blue Seed
-Helsing
-Lain
-Countless others...

I know a couple of others around here watch it; Lance, Beav, Unico and LJT come to mind.

youtooellen 02-05-2009 10:31 AM

^ nice!

I've never heard of the holy trinity... :hmm:

You've seen (Serial Experiments?) Lain? (same Lain as the one I previously mentioned or something different?)

I don't think I'll ever get over Death Note though... fucking crazy ass shit. :up: If you haven't watched that, I strongly suggest you do. :up: :up:

elevated_u2_fan 02-05-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youtooellen (Post 5822017)
I've never heard of the holy trinity... :hmm:

:shocked:

You've never watched Akira, Ghost In The Shell or Princess Mononoke?? You should watch those ones.

Quote:

You've seen (Serial Experiments?) Lain? (same Lain as the one I previously mentioned or something different?)
Same thing, it was alright, a little too slow paced for my taste.

Quote:

I don't think I'll ever get over Death Note though... fucking crazy ass shit. :up: If you haven't watched that, I strongly suggest you do. :up: :up:
My friend was mentioning this one, I think I will check it out.

Zoobaby14 02-05-2009 10:49 AM

Just a quick question:

If it is a Japanese movie with American voices is it still Anime?

elevated_u2_fan 02-05-2009 11:13 AM

Is it animated and was it made in Japan but now has English dubbed dialogue?

The Sad Punk 02-05-2009 11:57 AM

Grave of the Fireflies and Porco Rosso are pretty much my two favourite anime movies, both from Studio Ghibli . The former in particular is a must watch.

Lancemc 02-05-2009 12:07 PM

*points to av and sig* :drool:

I love me some anime too. Ghost in the Shell is just... :combust:

And Miyazaki is virtually a god.

lazarus 02-05-2009 12:10 PM

I'm a huge Miyazaki/Ghibli fan, favorites are Nausicaa and Spirited Away, also Grave of the Fireflies.

Another great who hasn't been mentioned is Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue).

Cowboy Bebop is a must-see, Evangelion was fantastic, and anyone watch the old Robotech/Macross stuff?

Lancemc 02-05-2009 12:12 PM

I've seen a little Satoshi Kon. Fantastic work. Looking forward to seeing more.

Seen a little Bebop too. Funky stuff.

Guess it's worth mentioning Nausicaa is my favorite Miyazaki film. Maybe even favorite anime feature all together. :up:

lazarus 02-05-2009 12:33 PM

I also just ordered this serial called Baccano! that looks like one hell of a mindfuck.

Anyone seen this?

youtooellen 02-05-2009 12:48 PM

A lot of the anime mentioned are stuff that I never heard of. I'm so very happy ya'lls be recommendin' shiettt.

I just watched episode 13 of Chobits. It's kind of lame, but I'm really enjoying it. Some funny stuff in there. One of the great things about anime is that they overexaggerate certain emotions (like embarrassment) and I absolutely love it. :love: Those moments always bring out a chuckle from me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoobaby14 (Post 5822046)
Just a quick question:

If it is a Japanese movie with American voices is it still Anime?

Yes, but it is called "the horrendous American remake"... :crack:

I hate it when it's dubbed with English. I can't stand the monotonous voices and the terrible lack of enthusiasm.

elevated_u2_fan 02-05-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus (Post 5822195)
Evangelion was fantastic, and anyone watch the old Robotech/Macross stuff?

up untill the end :crack:

Robotech :drool:

I've never watched any of the Macross stuff though, is it any good?

Zoobaby14 02-06-2009 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan (Post 5822078)
Is it animated and was it made in Japan but now has English dubbed dialogue?

I'm not to sure, when I did japanese in school we watched a movie called Spirited away, and another one with Dekota Fanning doing the voice over, which i can't remeber the name.

We also watched Salior Moon, which has english dialouge. Is that classed as anime?

The Sad Punk 02-06-2009 07:46 AM

I would consider any animation of a certain type that happened to have been made in Japan (and occasionally other nearby countries) to be anime, even if it has English dub-overs for international editions - Sailor Moon and Spirited Away were originally in Japanese, for instance, Zoobaby.