U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Just the Bang and the Clatter (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   Ok, B&Cers. Help. Glam Rock albums. (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/ok-b-and-cers-help-glam-rock-albums-190786.html)

FitzChivalry 11-07-2008 04:00 PM

Ok, B&Cers. Help. Glam Rock albums.

Please. Inform me.

First: Glam rock ESSENTIAL albums.

Second: Less essential, 2nd tier albums.

Third: Modern must-have Glam/Glam-inspired albums.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

LMP 11-07-2008 04:04 PM

David Bowie in the early '70s is a must (Ziggy Stardust, Man Who Sold the World, Aladdin Sane)

Same with T. Rex's Electric Warrior

GirlsAloudFan 11-07-2008 04:07 PM

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Lou Reed - Transformer

And wouldn't some of Elton John's 70's work be classified as glam?

There's also the New York Dolls but I can't remember any of the names of their albums.

KhanadaRhodes 11-07-2008 04:13 PM

i'm seconding everything. i'm not a new york dolls fan but i like japan, and their first two albums (adolescent sex and obscure alternatives) are glam rock.

LMP 11-07-2008 04:26 PM

Sweet's Desolation Boulevard is a fun listen, and of course, you need some Gary Glitter.

phillyfan26 11-07-2008 04:53 PM

Bowie did glam rock on The Man Who Sold the World, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Aladdin Sane, and Diamond Dogs. I recommend those as first tier, especially the latter three.

LemonMelon 11-07-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto (Post 5596053)
David Bowie in the early '70s is a must (Ziggy Stardust, Man Who Sold the World, Aladdin Sane)

Same with T. Rex's Electric Warrior

:fuckyeah:

dudeman 11-08-2008 12:02 AM

1. Bowie: Ziggy Stardust.., T. Rex: The Slider
2. T. Rex: Electric Warrior
3. Suede (or The London Suede): Dog Man Star or the self-titled debut (Suede). or the more recent album from Brett and Bernard - The Tears (Here Come The Tears)

i'm not gonna say anything about Bowie and T. Rex that hasn't been said, so i'll spend my words on Suede - absolutely fantastic, electrifying pop music. fiery, aggressive, passionate (i hate that word), terrifying guitar playing with over the top vocals and a beyond solid, well 'in-the-pocket' rhythm section. smart use of effects. brilliant stuff. if you can't hear the glitz in tunes like "The Wild Ones" or "We Are the Pigs" or "Lovers" or "Two Creatures". it always was Ziggy meets the Smiths. and that's no bad thing.. you're not gonna find better torch-bearers for glam than messrs Anderson and Butler, whatever they do...

LemonMelon 11-08-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeman (Post 5596968)
i'm not gonna say anything about Bowie and T. Rex that hasn't been said, so i'll spend my words on Suede - absolutely fantastic, electrifying pop music. fiery, aggressive, passionate (i hate that word), terrifying guitar playing with over the top vocals and a beyond solid, well 'in-the-pocket' rhythm section. smart use of effects. brilliant stuff. if you can't hear the glitz in tunes like "The Wild Ones" or "We Are the Pigs" or "Lovers" or "Two Creatures". it always was Ziggy meets the Smiths. and that's no bad thing.. you're not gonna find better torch-bearers for glam than messrs Anderson and Butler, whatever they do...

Brilliantly put. Both of those records are killer. The debut is metallic and frequently catchy, while Dog Man Star sounds like a smack party at the end of the world.

toscano 11-08-2008 09:29 AM

This one

Amazon.com: Desolation Boulevard: Sweet: Music